Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Bucs/Bears to play regular season game in London

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=6339320

The Chicago Bears will play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in London during the 2011 season, according to sources familiar with the situation.The NFL regular-season schedule will be released next week with dates and times.

Chicago last played in London on Aug. 3, 1986, when the Bears beat the Dallas Cowboys 17-6. It was the season after the Bears won Super Bowl XX.

The San Francisco 49ers beat the Denver Broncos 24-16 in London last season.

All games are contingent on a resolution of the NFL's current labor woes.

"The Carmen, Jurko & Harry Show" on ESPN 1000 first reported the news, which was confirmed by ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

This fucking sucks. We were just there a few years ago against the Patriots. Make some other teams make that long trip. And this better not be a home game for us like it was last time. Fuck Goodell. Fuck the Glazers.

It would make more sense if the NFL would rotate the teams when it came to traveling across the pond. But with Tampa going again, it does make me feel like they volunteered for the trip.

It would make more sense if the NFL would rotate the teams when it came to traveling across the pond. But with Tampa going again, it does make me feel like they volunteered for the trip.

We probably did because the Glazers are also the owners of ManU. That's why I said fuck the Glazers in my original post. They definately had something to do with it.

We probably did because the Glazers are also the owners of ManU. That's why I said fuck the Glazers in my original post. They definately had something to do with it.

^This.

The Glazer family owns the most successful team in English soccer football at the moment. He definitely has some ties.

If I was a Bucs fan, I would also be pissed. As NBB stated, the Bucs were just there recently and it doesn't seem fair to have them go over so soon. I'd bet good money too that it counts as a home game for you guys lol...

Edited by Maverick
  • Upvote 1

I'd bet good money too that it counts as a home game for you guys lol...

From what I've been reading, it looks like it is a home game for us. Fuck this.

From what I've been reading, it looks like it is a home game for us. Fuck this.

If you look at it from their business perspective, it's a genius move. While it hurts the NFL fans here, it definitely adds to their revenue over there. It's not like this makes you jump bandwagons or anything, so why not? It's one game. Bucs (and Bears) fans will be fine.

If you look at it from their business perspective, it's a genius move. While it hurts the NFL fans here, it definitely adds to their revenue over there. It's not like this makes you jump bandwagons or anything, so why not? It's one game. Bucs (and Bears) fans will be fine.

I don't know any specifics regarding finances, but it takes away a home game from the Bucs fans. If I had season tickets and a home game was being taken away from me for the second time in what, three years? I'd be fucking pissed.

it's definitely a Bucs home game, I just found a list of their 2011 opponents on Bleacher Report and they play the Bears at home (Link)

I still say they need to just take the Pro Bowl abroad, it makes so much more sense than taking a regular season game away from full time NFL fans

it's definitely a Bucs home game, I just found a list of their 2011 opponents on Bleacher Report and they play the Bears at home (Link)

I still say they need to just take the Pro Bowl abroad, it makes so much more sense than taking a regular season game away from full time NFL fans

The Bucs have terrible fans anyway. They don't deserve 8 home games. Maybe in London, somebody will actually give a shit about them.

• Upvote 2

This whole london thing blows.

The Buccaneers are expected to "host" the Bears at Wembley Stadium for their second game across the pond in three years.

It's a no-brainer for the Bucs, a small market team with an iffy season-ticket base. The Glazer family, owners of the Bucs, also own the legendary Manchester United soccer club in England. In addition to a return trip to London, the young and exciting Bucs are also the front-runner for HBO's Hard Knocks series. This team on the rise should have no problems generating national exposure in 2011. Source: St. Petersburg Times

Edited by monstersofthemidway

The Bears will kick off their exhibitions in the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game Aug. 7 at Fawcett Stadium in Canton, Ohio, and in the marquee event of their season they will travel to London with the Buccaneers as hosts.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0413-bears-chicago--20110412,0,5458846.story

I am glad that we do not have to use this as a home game. At the same time, it won't be as exciting as it would be in Tampa.

Edited by WindyCitySports

*sigh* I don't mind Mexico games or Canada games because they're not taking place at 3AM my time. Especially the Bears. I like watching them lose.

Not a huge fan of London games.

Edited by gobadgers77

OK seriously it's time for this London experiment to end. All it's doing is making people mad. Goodell end this or I'll come down there and put your balls in a vice.

#Bears game in London will be moved to Tampa Bay if labor situation isn't resolved by Aug. 1.

OK seriously it's time for this London experiment to end. All it's doing is making people mad. Goodell end this or I'll come down there and put your balls in a vice.

Won't happen any time soon. These London games are actually very good for the league in spreading the popularity of American football outside of the States. Also more jerseys/merchandise sold.

London games = $$$$$$$$$$$$

I honestly don't mind my team playing overseas. We have a lot of fans in the UK and for the NFL to bring the experience to them and give us that type of exposure is welcomed. It does suck that we lose a home game but lets keep it real; Raymond Jams isn't exactly Arrowhead Stadium or the 12th man.

I do hope they prepare the stadium and field better this time around. The last two times the games been played at Wimbley, that field was atroscious. For it being the ONLY NFL game played overseas, that arena/field should look like the Superbowl.

• Upvote 1

Won't happen any time soon. These London games are actually very good for the league in spreading the popularity of American football outside of the States. Also more jerseys/merchandise sold.

London games = $$$$$$$$$$$$

And therein lies the whole problem...

London games = $$$$$$

The one thing I don't understand with the push to make the NFL more popular in Europe is why was the NFL Europa closed if that market is one the league wants to use? Sure, it was still losing money, but it was starting to gain a foothold, and you're going to build support a lot better in the European markets if they have their own teams to follow.

The one thing I don't understand with the push to make the NFL more popular in Europe is why was the NFL Europa closed if that market is one the league wants to use? Sure, it was still losing money, but it was starting to gain a foothold, and you're going to build support a lot better in the European markets if they have their own teams to follow.

Probably came down to costs vs revenue. In the long term, it'll probably be cheaper to bring 1 maybe 2 games to Europe during the regular season and showcase a pair of pro teams rather than continue to run a dwindling league.