Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

NFL Wants To Cut Rookie Guaranteed Dollars By 60%

NEW YORK -- The NFL wants to cut almost 60 percent of guaranteed pay for first-round draft picks, lock them in for five years and divert the savings to veterans' salaries and benefits.

More than $525 million went to first-rounders in guaranteed payments in 2010. The league wants to decrease that figure by $300 million, according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.

The league's offer would free a total of more than $1.2 billion over four years through 2015 -- $37.5 million per team overall -- and slow the growth rate of guaranteed payments to first-rounders, which the documents show increased by 233 percent from 2000-10.

The last five No. 1 overall picks received $180.844 million in guaranteed money before playing their first NFL game, according to figures obtained by ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas through league sources. Last year's top pick -- Sam Bradford -- received $50 million guaranteed. Matthew Stafford (2009) got $41.7 million, Jake Long, 2008, ($30 million), JaMarcus Russell, 2007, ($32.019) and Mario Williams, 2006, ($27.125).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6345279

Really good read if you have the time. Loving this proposal for the most part.

Seems like everything we've been reading about the next potential rookie salary cap is a step in the right direction. Looks like the new CBA (whenever it is agreed upon) will have some sort of cap in place that we can all agree with.

this is something that absolutely has to be a part of a new CBA, it's gotten to the point where nobody wants to trade into the top ten because of how much they have to pay the rookies taken there, and that just shouldn't happen IMO, I also like the idea of guaranteeing that the savings will go to veterans, however that happens (whether it's raising the vet minimum or increasing benefits) rather than just adding it to the owners' pockets

I agree, unproven rookies should have to earn the big pay, 70 million guaranteed? Where's the incentive to even do more than show up?...No way a rookie should ever make more than a pro-bowl vet...

Even at the reduced rate, the busts will still be set for life, if they don't blow it all on hookers.

Love it, but will the NFLPA?

I'm liking this. This is something that needs to get. It's ridiculous the amount of money these untested rookies are getting.

Love it, but will the NFLPA?

I think the PA will like some form of a rookie cap under certain conditions, they will want the money saved to go to veterans and they may want rookies locked in for four years rather than five (let the good players get out of their low rookie deal sooner) but I think the PA also realizes that this is something that needs to happen.

or purple drank

Haha! or that. :wink:

I agree with this too. Way too many rookies are getting $50-70 million to play and as a result they don't bother giving 100% on the field. I hope this goes through, but I got a feeling the NFLPA will try to block it.

The thing is, if they really want to pay rookies less they could say "hey! we're not gonna pay you guys this much money." there might be some holdouts but they would be jeopardizing their careers as well.

The thing is, if they really want to pay rookies less they could say "hey! we're not gonna pay you guys this much money." there might be some holdouts but they would be jeopardizing their careers as well.

I've always kind of wondered why teams didn't do this, the teams control the money, not the players

They're too afraid of not signing a draft pick.

It seems alot of the rookies that hold out the longest, don't contribute all that much, are injury prone, or have off field issues.

Mike Williams (tackle)

Quentin Jammer

Jamarcus Russel

Pacman Jones

Cadillac Williams

They're too afraid of not signing a draft pick.

I suppose, though it seems like players have a lot more to lose, although I guess you see it happen most often with the top picks, meaning teams that need a shot in the arm

Or.... They could add it into the CBA... with hold out clauses... lol.

It's hard for players, 1st picks for example, to take less money than the guy taken 1st last year. It was just... Accepted to keep moving the number of guaranteed dollars up every year. And no, I don't think the teams had much of a choice. What if the Rams offered Sam Bradford 10 million guaranteed? Shit would have hit the fan...

I think it's more the players' agents moreso than the players themselves.

It seems alot of the rookies that hold out the longest, don't contribute all that much, are injury prone, or have off field issues.

Mike Williams (tackle)

Quentin Jammer

Jamarcus Russel

Pacman Jones

Cadillac Williams

If you're putting Caddy on that list then I'm gonna add Crabtree.

Don't forget aaron maybin

If you're putting Caddy on that list then I'm gonna add Crabtree.

Good call, I'd forgotten about him...shows how much of an impact he's made.