SteVo

Greatest Rock Guitarist of All Time Tourney

I think Bware needs to take a long, hard look at Razor's sig.

• Upvote 2

Id forgot to nominate Jeff Healy

This is my last post on the subject.

See, this is my problem with this tournament. I put slashes through inferior guitarists with more votes. Everybody bolded who's under the top 25 mark is more technically skilled and more creative than the slashed names. I bolded names that most folks would know, so they could look at it and realize, "Oh, shit. I can't believe I put 'Gates/Hammett' above 'Petrucci/Knopfler."

Catch my drift?

Technical skill doesn't necessarily mean they're superior. Is the guitar solo in Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" worse than the solo in Metallica's "One" just because it's slower? No.

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

Technical skill doesn't necessarily mean they're superior. Is the guitar solo in Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" worse than the solo in Metallica's "One" just because it's slower? No.

I'm factoring creative ability into it too. This isn't just technical skill. All of the bolded guitarists are more creative than the crossed out guitarists.

• Downvote 1

I'm factoring creative ability into it too. This isn't just technical skill. All of the bolded guitarists are more creative than the crossed out guitarists.

• Upvote 2

Putting gates on a list while leaving Dimebag off is just plain dumb. Its not like Bware does not have a point.

Maybe I missed it, but not one mention of Les Paul?

Who without about 99% of these guys would have never been able to play a guitar?

Well, the issue here isn't opinions. It's exposure. Most folks here aren't exposed to a lot of these greats, so they just pick who they know.

Well, the issue here isn't opinions. It's exposure. Most folks here aren't exposed to a lot of these greats, so they just pick who they know.

I can agree with that, most of the people on the list I have never heard of. I do recognize alot of the 80's hair metal bands guitarists tho. And while alot of them sounded the same there are a few who had a different sound and creative style than the others.

Most of them tried to sound like Eddie Van Halen and copy his style. But then you had guys like Slash and "dare I say it" C.C. Deville who sounded different and were more creative at that time. Only difference between those 2 is Slash continued to grow and mature as a guitarist and get more creative while C.C. regressed and stayed stagnant. Kind of like Ace from Kiss. Started out great but never grew and stayed the same.

/hypothetical tourney

:D

Michael Angelo Batio needs more votes! ...nevermind the Nitro music, check out his solo albums....dude can play two guitars at once...and play them well.

Nuno Bettencourt...more votes! Listen to "Play With Me" by Extreme.

edit: +1 for Tom Morello, forgot about him.

Edited by Krawnka

Nomination results:

Jimi Hendrix 21

Eric Clapton 19

Jimmy Page 16

Eddie Van Halen 14

Frank Zappa 10

Jeff Beck 10

Kirk Hammett 9

Steve Vai 9

Tony Iommi 9

Buckethead 8

David Gilmour 7

Duane Allman 7

Slash 7

Tom Morello 7

Alex Lifeson 6

Angus Young 6

Keith Richards 6

Randy Rhoads 6

Billy Gibbons 5

Carlos Santana 5

Ritchie Blackmore 5

Stevie Ray Vaughan 5

B.B. King 4

Chuck Berry 4

Dimebag Darrell 4

Marty Friedman 4

Robin Trower 4

Synyster Gates 4

Mark Knopfler 4

Brian May 3

Dave Murray 3

James Hetfield 3

Jeff Loomis 3

Joe Satriani 3

John Frusciante 3

John Petrucci 3

John Sykes 3

Michael Schenker 3

Mick Ronson 3

Ted Nugent 3

Zack Wylde 3

Adrian Belew 2

Alex Laiho 2

CeCe DeVille 2

Gary Moore 2

Gary Rossington 2

Glenn Tipton 2

Jerry Garcia 2

John 5 2

Kerry King 2

Michael Angelo Batio 2

Mick Mars 2

Nuno Bettancourt 2

Robert Fripp 2

Walter Becker 2

Yngwie Malmsteen 2

Ace Frehley 1

Adam Jones 1

Adrian Vandenberg 1

Al Di Meola 1

Alex Skolnick 1

Andy LaRocque 1

Chuck Schuldiner 1

Dave Mustaine 1

Django Reinhardt 1

Frank Marino 1

J.J. Cale 1

Jerry Cantrell 1

Joe Pass 1

Joe Perry 1

John McLaughlin 1

Johnny Greenwood 1

Johnny Winter 1

Kim Thayil 1

Leslie West 1

Mark Tremonti 1

Matt Bellamy 1

Michael Bloomfield 1

Neil Young 1

Pat Travers 1

Pete Townshed 1

Peter Green 1

Ravi Shankar 1

Robbie Robertson 1

Robert Johnson 1

Son House 1

Steve Hackett 1

Steve Howe 1

The Edge 1

Tommy Bolin 1

Uli Roth 1

Warren Haynes 1

Wolfgang Zenk 1

Jeff Healy 1

For anybody who's not counting, that is 94 total guitarists, with 56 receiving multiple votes. The way I see it, we have a few options:

Option A: We find a way to narrow down the 38 guitarists who each received one vote to 8 guys, which would round out a field of 64.

Option B: We find a way to narrow down the 12 guitarists who each received three votes to 3 guys, which would round out a field of 32.

Option C: We find a way to narrow down the 15 guitarists who each received two votes to 7 guys, which would round out a field of 48, meaning the top 16 get a first-round "bye."

People of TGP, the decision is yours.

OPTION A

I vote for option B. The lower half of the list has no chance anyway, so why bother with all of those guys? Jerry Garcia? Really? Great band, but anyone with any experience with a guitar could play his stuff.

A

I'm down for option B, personally. Would be the easiest to do in terms of setting up an even bracket.

There are some really good guitarists down in the last 38, I believe we should give em all a chance and it'd be interesting to see how far some of them may go.

What Barracuda said there alot of great guitarists in the bottom 38 that got overlooked.

Option A

• Upvote 1

A because none of you understand the glory of Wolfgang Zenk...

Ok, fine. B would probably be easier.

What Barracuda said there alot of great guitarists in the bottom 38 that got overlooked.

Option A

i agree with you.

Include the whole list, SteVo. It's not that long, and I happen to think we need to give these unknown guys a chance by leaving a subtitle that says, "If you haven't heard one of the contestants in the matchup, watch a youtube vid"

Include the whole list, SteVo. It's not that long, and I happen to think we need to give these unknown guys a chance by leaving a subtitle that says, "If you haven't heard one of the contestants in the matchup, watch a youtube vid"

So that's a vote for option A then? And just so you know, for each matchup, I will be posting YouTube clips of the guitarist in action. When we get down to the final few rounds, I'll post multiple videos, including studio recordings and live performances.

By my count:

Option A - 5 votes

Option B - 3 votes

Option C - 1 vote

Just please don't post MAB clips from the NITRO days...the screeching vocals will make your skin crawl.

• Upvote 1

Also, SteVo, if you don't know much about say, Jeff Loomis, I can find a wicked video.