Zack_of_Steel

The Computer Thread

What kind of computer do you have? What are its specs? Got pictures? Show off your shit here.

I recently built myself a new computer. Here are its specs.

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Black Steel ATI Full Tower

Monitor: ASUS 23" LCD Monitor

Motherboard: ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (3.4 GHz Quad core)

CPU Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

GPU:

-XFX Raedon HD 6950 2GB

-XFX Raedon HD 6950 2GB Crossfired (Meaning I have two of them linked and they act as one)

RAM:

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24

-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24

PSU: Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W

HDD: Seagate 500 GB SATA III 7200 rpm

SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 128 GB SATA III

I got the processor when it came out last year and I'm waiting to upgrade when the new Bulldozer CPUs come out in the summer. I just ordered the X Series RAM on 4/20 because it was down from $150 to $110, though I am kicking myself for not having bought two sets of 8. I'll probably end up buying a second 8GB set and give the 4GB set to my brother because I just built him a system and he has 4GB currently.

My SSD should be here tomorrow and I am extremely excited for that. For those of you that don't know, Solid State Drives are basically a ramped up Hard Drive that has outstanding Read/Write speeds. The Vertex 3 is the best on the market currently and the 128GB one cost me $300. An example of what they are good for is that you put your operating system and your games or high load time programs such as any video or image editing software on them and they cut down or eliminate load time. When you have your OS on the SSD you can turn on your computer and be on your desktop with everything loaded in 5-10 seconds.

Here are some pictures of my computer. The case has 7 120mm blue LED fans (three front, two rear, two inner) and one 200mm on the top.

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Thats a Badass setup Bro.

my PC is just a basic Dell Dimension E521 with a lot of space basically.

its getting old, time for an upgrade.

pics coming soon but mine wont be this Badass. :beerchug2:

How much money has been put into that bad boy, Lack_of_Feel?

Thats a Badass setup Bro.

my PC is just a basic Dell Dimension E521 with a lot of space basically.

its getting old, time for an upgrade.

pics coming soon but mine wont be this Badass. :beerchug2:

Thanks, BK, lol. Last summer was the first time I really ever did anything with computer hardware. Now it's a bit of a hobby.

What year did you get your computer?

How much money has been put into that bad boy, Lack_of_Feel?

Hmmm... I haven't really been keeping track. Quite a lot, lol.

Case - $170

Extra pair of fans - $38

CD/DVD Drive - $20

Motherboard - $180

CPU - $200 (last year)

CPU Heatsink - $35

GPUs - $520

RAM - $160 (Will probably upgrade and spend another $140)

PSU - $100

SSD - $300

So just recently I've dropped $1523. Will probably get bumped up to around $1665 in the next week or so and then I'll buy a new processor when the Bulldozers come out late June-ish. Not sure how much that'll cost.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

I'm too lazy to look up the specs, and I don't know them off the top of my head. Just know that it's an Asus, haha. I went out an bought it a couple of weeks before the new models came out and got Best Buy to knock the price off by a few hundred dollars. Have wanted to build my own for quite some time.. Have a buddy who can get good parts for pretty cheap. But haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Yay stock photos.

small_g51_angle1.jpg

Asus_G60_gaming_laptop.jpg

Edited by Favre4Ever

damn that's a pretty sick setup zos. I don't do online games so I don't really need all of that. My setup I have now is perfect for what I need.

hp-pavilion-dv6-1256tx-5.jpg

750 gig internal memory and I think it's 4 gigs ram.

Mostly what I use it for is school, pictures, and designing. I need the portability for when I go on trips. Like when I went to Africa this last summer I brought it with me and everynight that I had power I would take and load all of the cards from my dad and my camera and sort them and select the best.

I also have a 1 TB portable external harddrive that works like a champ.

I'm too lazy to look up the specs, and I don't know them off the top of my head. Just know that it's an Asus, haha. I went out an bought it a couple of weeks before the new models came out and got Best Buy to knock the price off by a few hundred dollars. Have wanted to build my own for quite some time.. Have a buddy who can get good parts for pretty cheap. But haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Yay stock photos.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal, lol. Did you actually talk them down or was it just a sale?

I really like Asus (monitor, motherboard, and CD/DVD drive). Their products always get great reviews and so far, everything is working great.

When you do decide to build your own you should definitely post it up here.

damn that's a pretty sick setup zos. I don't do online games so I don't really need all of that. My setup I have now is perfect for what I need.

750 gig internal memory and I think it's 4 gigs ram.

Mostly what I use it for is school, pictures, and designing. I need the portability for when I go on trips. Like when I went to Africa this last summer I brought it with me and everynight that I had power I would take and load all of the cards from my dad and my camera and sort them and select the best.

I also have a 1 TB portable external harddrive that works like a champ.

Yeah, in your case a laptop is definitely needed. I don't really go on trips ever and I like the ability to upgrade whenever I need/want to/feel like wasting money (lol). I only play a couple different games, but I do a lot of video editing and such and I also stream media to my PS3, which requires a lot of ram and processing power if I'm streaming BluRay rips.

I bought a 2 TB external HD around Christmas when they were cheap and gave my 1.5 TB to my dad. Might have to get another one as I'm about 3/4 of the way full, lmao.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

What year did you get your computer?

2007, so ya its almost 4 years old.

HP Pavillion DV61230US

HP-Pavilion-DV6.jpg

Yeah, in your case a laptop is definitely needed. I don't really go on trips ever and I like the ability to upgrade whenever I need/want to/feel like wasting money (lol). I only play a couple different games, but I do a lot of video editing and such and I also stream media to my PS3, which requires a lot of ram and processing power if I'm streaming BluRay rips.

I bought a 2 TB external HD around Christmas when they were cheap and gave my 1.5 TB to my dad. Might have to get another one as I'm about 3/4 of the way full, lmao.

Ya this laptop is perfect for me, I used to do the whole desktop scene but in college now I feel like I need the portability. Especially because I get absolutely zero work done at home, everything I do is at the library for school. So it's nice to be able to grab and go.

How much did you pay for your 2 TB hard drive? Is it portable or a plug in one. I got a pretty good deal on my portable 1TB, it was like a $110 this last summer at costco, and it was $100 for the a 1TB non portable so it was a no brainer ha.

I just have 17" Compaq and it's perfect for what I do. Music and writing fiction. I don't game. The most I do online is facebook and TGP.

compaq_02.jpg

I believe this is my exact model.

Asus_1001P_Black.jpg

According to DXDiag, my Asus laptop has...

Processor: Intel Atom, 1.66 Ghz, 2 CPUS

1 GB Ram

Graphics Chip is an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150

The Speakers that it came with are Realtek

toshiba satellite a500

Intel Core Duo 2.2Ghz Dual Core

4GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M (1GB)

TOSHIBA-Satellite-A500.jpg

over-heating like a bitch recently (turned off 3 times while playing minecraft wtf. what a high graphic demanding game s:). so imma grab a vacuum cleaner and run it over my fan and air vents tomorrow like this gai

is that shit safe?

Edited by funnygunny

HP G62 Notebook running Windows 7. Also have an 1TB external hard drive for my music, movies, and pictures. That leaves my notebook for nothing but web surfing and programs, so it stays fast.

wpid-hp-g62-b51sf-1.jpg

Toshiba's just have overheating problems period. My mom had a toshiba laptop but it'd constantly overheat even just browsing the internet... so she has an HP now.

• Upvote 1

Got the new Mackbook Pro that just came out this year. 13-inch 2.3GHz model. Love it.

MacBook-Pro-2011-Models-450x213.jpg

and...

apple_imac_led.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1256056851719

...iMac with some Klipsch computer speakers w/ subwoofer...

9807237-2-440-overview-1.gif

Love it.

Save the Mac hate...you can kindly suck me. lol

:p

I've been wanting an iMac for years but I'm waiting for the price to drop from $5,000. lol.

That is a sick computer Zack. Right now I have a terrible Dell family computer that I plan on switching out over the summer. I've been looking at ASUS for my motherboard and stores like Newegg like to toss the motherboard+processor combos on firesale every so often so I'll probably be picking one of those up sometime soon.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010