Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phailadelphia

Rex Ryan: Ware is 'ridiculous,' top pass rusher

Guest Durant4MVP

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/05/

New York Jets' coach Rex Ryan stated the obvious in his appearance on ``The Ticket,'' KTCK-AM 1310, this morning. Dallas Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware is the best in the NFL at what he does.

``You look at the talent Dallas has, starting with Ware,'' Ryan said. ``That kid is ridiculous. He's the best pass-rusher in football.''

Ware has an NFL-leading 72 sacks in the last five seasons. Only two other players have more than 50 sacks in that span: Minnesota's Jared Allen with 63, and Philadelphia's Trent Cole with 52.

Ryan was full of praise for the Cowboys, who are scheduled to open the regular season at the Jets on Sept. 11. As expected, Ryan said the Cowboys now have ``the best defensive coordinator in football'' with his twin brother Rob. Rex Ryan also said his brother will benefit from a strong staff, singling out secondary coach Dave Campo.

``I hope they struggle that first week,'' Rex Ryan said. ``But other than that, it's going to be something to see.''

Ryan was promoting his book ``Play LIke You Mean It.''

If Rex Ryan says it, then I agree.

Of course there are two guys in Pittsburgh who would have something to say about this, and I bet Rex wouldn't be as eager to praise them.

Edited by SteVo

Woodley and Harrison aren't better pass-rushers than Ware, though. Zack wouldn't even say that.

Woodley and Harrison aren't better pass-rushers than Ware, though. Zack wouldn't even say that.

Thread going supernova in 5...4...3...

Don't count on it...yo Zack, where you at? :D

LOL Rex Ryan stating the obvious. The doughnuts are messing with his head.

Edited by BigBen07

Guest Durant4MVP

I'm not sure Zack would disagree. His argument is, if I remember correctly, than Harrison and Woodley are better overall OLBs in that they drop back into coverage much more often than Ware and still rack up almost as many sacks as him. I may be wrong though.

Why does Ware need the Rex Ryan seal of approval? Fuck that fat bastard. Saying things that most of us already know to be true do not make him awesome.

• Upvote 1

he said the Jets we're gonna win the super bowl. i don't know that already :shrug:

What about Hali and Wake?

Are YOU taking them over Ware?

Ware is the best pass rusher in the NFL, and it doesn't even come from 1 or two good seasons, he's been a dominant pass rusher since he entered the league, and all he does is force fumbles. Dude is RIDICULOUS.

Not many Steelers fans will argue with that. We don't need them to be teh best, we just need them to do their jobs, lol.

Can you imagine Ware on the Steelers, though, lmao.

Ware is the best pass rusher in the NFL, and it doesn't even come from 1 or two good seasons, he's been a dominant pass rusher since he entered the league, and all he does is force fumbles. Dude is RIDICULOUS.

Not many Steelers fans will argue with that. We don't need them to be teh best, we just need them to do their jobs, lol.

The NFL would have to put an "LOL" in front of any use of the word "competitive."

No.

Are YOU taking them over Ware?

As a pass rusher purely? Maybe. I certainly don't think Ware blows them away and I have all the respect in the world for the guy. He kills my team twice a year whether they beat us or not. I know exactly how good he is. That said, Wake and Hali the past two years have been just as good as Ware pass rushing wise. Ware isn't just a pass rusher though even though he's at worst the third best pass rusher in the league the few times he does drop into coverage he's good and he's excellent in run support.

As a pass rusher purely? Maybe. I certainly don't think Ware blows them away and I have all the respect in the world for the guy. He kills my team twice a year whether they beat us or not. I know exactly how good he is. That said, Wake and Hali the past two years have been just as good as Ware pass rushing wise. Ware isn't just a pass rusher though even though he's at worst the third best pass rusher in the league the few times he does drop into coverage he's good and he's excellent in run support.

Him and Trent Cole are remarkably unique in that they control an entire half of the field.

Also, remember that Ware led the league in sacks last year while playing through what? 3 injuries? Were Wake and Hali doing that?

Him and Trent Cole are remarkably unique in that they control an entire half of the field.

Also, remember that Ware led the league in sacks last year while playing through what? 3 injuries? Were Wake and Hali doing that?

In terms of pressures and hits Hali actually blew Ware away.

Just thought I'd share this...

The Top 5 3-4 OLBs last season (ranked by sacks):

Hali - 17 sacks - 16 QB hits - 64 QB pressures - 32 TFL

Wake - 16 sacks - 21 QB hits - 29 QB pressures - 42 TFL

Ware - 15 sacks - 8 QB hits - 56 QB pressures - 50 TFL

Matthews - 13 sacks - 11 QB hits - 36 QB pressures - 38 TFL

Harrison - 11 sacks - 15 QB hits - 32 QB pressures - 52 TFL

TFL = tackles for loss ie. a cumulative total of defensive stops behind the LOS

Hali and Wake didn't have 17 and 16 sacks, though. Ware led the league with 15. Oh and, to sean, 64-56 isn't "blowing somebody out of the water."

Wake had 15, Tamba Hali had 14.5

Guest Durant4MVP

Wherever you got those stats is off by quite a bit. Ware lead the league in sacks last year.