SteVo

TGP Debate Tournament

We have decided that it is time for a debate tournament on TGP, and it's time to make sure it gets done right and not fucked up. Here's how it's gonna go down...

All topics will be sports related. Nothing will be about politics, religion, or anything outside of sports. It may not necessarily be football, but it won't be anything like billiards or checkers.

If you're interested in participating, use this thread to say so. What we need to figure out are the rules. The biggest issues (that Ricky and I have been debating in the shoutbox, ironically) are how to determine who gets which side of the argument--random or allow someone the option to choose--and how to determine who gets the first say/last word.

Also, if you have debate topic ideas, throw them out there. I'll start with a couple off the top of my head:

-Which position is more important in football: left tackle or right defensive end/rush linebacker?

-Would you rather have great starting pitching and a suspect bullpen or average starting pitching and a lights out bullpen?

-Would you rather have a quarterback with rocket cannon arm strength and inconsistent accuracy, or a quarterback with pinpoint accuracy but very limited arm strength?

-Which type of hitter is more valuable to a lineup: a guy who hits .265/45 HR/150 RBI, or a guy who hits .320/10 HR/90 RBI?

I need dates and times. This would have to be after 8pm Central Time in order for me to possibly get in on it, but I like the idea. Is this through regular posts? Skype? Radio show? You'll have to lay out more specifics once you figure them out.

Just through posts. There won't be strict time limits. As long as you're active enough to check the site at least once a day, you should be fine.

I'd definitely be in, I'd say it'd be nice to get 8 people, a 16 person debate tournament would be ideal.

K, I'm in. I only asked about the timing thing because soon as it dries up after this rain I'll be planting.

No checkers debate?

I was ready for the "have to take jumps" and "not moving the back row" discussions. :facepalm:

Who wants to take me on in the greatest NES Mega Man debate?

I would be game but I would probably fail trying to debate baseball or hockey. Any football or basketball related debates I would gladly participate in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would be game but I would probably fail trying to debate baseball or hockey. Any football or basketball related debates I would gladly participate in.

Not a problem. We'll make sure people are familiar with the topics they're debating.

I'll try it.

Probably won't get far...but I'll try it. :p

List of Participants (So Far)

BwareDware94

JetsFan4Life

Packers Dynasty 2010

Barracuda

BayAreaBomber

Zack_of_Steel

monstersofthemidway

seanbrock

eightnine.

rzb

Edited by SteVo
Updating list.

What the hell. Put me down.

Atta boy. That gives us five total, and I'm sure guys like seanijuana will sign up eventually. We should be able to get eight.

I m down for football and hockey topics not so much baseball and basketball.

Sweet! Two more participants. If we have enough good debate topics, I'll make this entire tournament football.

Also Stevo, just a suggestion but the topic examples you posted could be non-debatable. Easily two members could agree on one of the choices. Like with the more important position, both could agree that rush linebacker is more important than a left tackle. It'd be unfair to give one left tackle to debate for when they don't really believe in it.

We should have questions that make the person debating form their own choices. More open ended questions instead of choosing between two options. If you planned to set it up so the people debating have different opinions then that would be fine, but that would be hard to do in a tournament style.

Example:

(Besides QB) What is the most important position on the field? *I say besides QB because I'm guessing most would say that.

Just a more open ended question with multiple answers where chances are low both choose the same position. Other examples may be like stances on rules of the game or even the lockout instead of more important position stuff like that to mix it up a bit.

Edited by Barracuda

Yes, I'll do it.

Count me in.

On this note, I vote that you should have to take an IQ test or something to get in. This kid would be like an autobye in the tourney lol. Unless you want to match me and him up in the first round. In which case forget I said anything :laugh:

• Downvote 1

Also Stevo, just a suggestion but the topic examples you posted could be non-debatable. Easily two members could agree on one of the choices. Like with the more important position, both could agree that rush linebacker is more important than a left tackle. It'd be unfair to give one left tackle to debate for when they don't really believe in it.

We should have questions that make the person debating form their own choices. More open ended questions instead of choosing between two options. If you planned to set it up so the people debating have different opinions then that would be fine, but that would be hard to do in a tournament style.

Example:

(Besides QB) What is the most important position on the field? *I say besides QB because I'm guessing most would say that.

Just a more open ended question with multiple answers where chances are low both choose the same position. Other examples may be like stances on rules of the game or even the lockout instead of more important position stuff like that to mix it up a bit.

Ricky and I were discussing this in the shoutbox the night I put this thread up. I think it's definitely better to have either-or topics. Otherwise it gets way too open-ended. Remember that you're going to not only be laying out your own argument, but you'll be arguing against your opponent. It doesn't much matter whether you believe in the side you get; it's all about writing a concise, logical argument and supporting it with facts.

Is it too late to sign up? :D

Is it too late to sign up? :D

Nope.

:rock:

That brings the total to 11. It would be awesome to get 16 but if we have 12, that's definitely manageable.