JetsFan4Life

Stanley Cup Finals

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win The Stanley Cup?

• Vancouver Canucks
    • Boston Bruins

Alright we are finally here (well on Wednesday we are)! Time for the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals. The originally #3 seeded Boston Bruins are representing the Eastern Conference and the #1 seeded and President's Trophy winning Vancouver Canucks are representing the Western Conference. Vancouver has home ice and the schedule is as follows...

Wednesday, June 1 at Vancouver, 8 p.m.

Saturday, June 4 at Vancouver, 8 p.m.

Monday, June 6 at Boston, 8 p.m.

Wednesday, June 8 at Boston, 8 p.m.

*Friday, June 10 at Vancouver, 8 p.m.

*Monday, June 13 at Boston, 8 p.m.

*Wednesday, June 15 at Vancouver, 8 p.m.

So we'll use this thread to discuss the Finals and also for now make predictions. I have the Canucks in 5. I just think their offense has really woken up, especially their powerplay, and it's going to be too much for Boston to handle.

I like the Bruins in 6. As we know Tim Thomas is capable of stealing the show and I also think Vancouver's top line is going to have a lot of trouble with the Chara-Seidenberg tandem. But the X-factor of the series is Nathan Horton for Boston. If he can provide some scoring, the Bruins will have a great shot to win the series.

Tim Thomas has the potential to take over the series, but so does Luongo. Also, let's not forget that Thomas was a little inconsistent against Tampa. I realize they have a potent offense, but guess what? So does Vancouver. The Canucks have struggled to put teams away this year so I'll say it goes six, but they still take the Cup.

Canucks in seven. LETS GO VANCOUVER BABY WOOOOO!!! I can tell you one thing its going to be an epic goaltending duel.

Even though I personally support a rival team of the Vancouver Canucks (won't say who ), I reluctantly want them to win. Even if they don't win I will be content on the Bruins winning the Cup, based on the fact that they are an Original Six team and i like a lot of the players that they have on the team.

Edited by CARDINALOFWISDOM

I'm going to be pulling for Boston and saying they get it in 6.

Let's go USA! :grinno:

Who I THINK will win? Vancouver is going to crush them. They win in 5.

:shrug:

I want Boston to win (keep the cup in AMERICA) and of course it makes Tampa look that much better. :p

B's in 2. After getting soundly beaten in the first 2 games Vancouver just surrenders the rest of the series.

:)

• Upvote 1

Man the Bruins got burned again! Allowing a very late goal is one thing but the quick OT winner stings even more IMO.

Ya but at least there going back to Boston for Game 3 and 4. But anyways LETS GO CANUCKS!!!!

Man this thread is so quiet. I'm surprised no one is talking about that controversial hit last night.

Completely dirty hit. Anyone who denies that doesn't know hockey. And don't give me the "keep your head up" shit. Horton was entering the zone, has his eyes on his teammate, not the ice, and got drilled a full two seconds after he passed the puck.

Completely dirty hit. Anyone who denies that doesn't know hockey. And don't give me the "keep your head up" shit. Horton was entering the zone, has his eyes on his teammate, not the ice, and got drilled a full two seconds after he passed the puck.

I see your point, but the problem doesn't lie in the hit. It's the fact that the NHL hands out inconsistent punishments. If they were that serious about dealing with head shots, most of the players responsible for causing them wouldn't be playing anymore. The only reason Rome was suspended for the rest of the Final was because he wasn't a major star.

Since the hit on Horton, Boston has scored 12 goals against the Canucks.

Since the hit on Horton, Timmy Thomas has only conceded 1 goal.

Since the hit on Horton, Boston has raaaaaped the Canucks and evened the series.

hey-i-think-they-mad.jpg

• Upvote 1

Luongo was money in game one and ok in game two, but holy hell has that guy sucked it up the last two games. Part of it is the terrible defense the Canucks are playing. Their puck handling and possessions have been terrible the last two games as well. I know they lost two of their best defensemen (one suspension and another is hurt) but fuck they look pathetic out there.

Unless they step their game up it's already over.

Anyone know how long that one dude is suspended for and how bad the injured dude is...?

Oh yea and Timmy Thomas...that dude is an impenetrable force. BEAST.

Looking at the Rome hit, the suspension was unfair. That hit was timed just fine, it wasn't even one second after he passed the puck.

As a sabres fan, this hit is always memorable to me

Now, everyone agrees that it is a clean hit, but Rome's is a travesty? The only difference I see watching that is that he left his feet which is obviously a no-no. However, the correct penalty for that is 2 minutes, not 4 games. The NHL can't just punish players for the results of hits rather than the hits themselves.

Let's go Bruins! I am not one to cheer for Boston teams (pretty much never), but 1. The Nucks are a dirty team and rivals of my Hawks and 2. They're from Canada.

boston_bruins_1994.gif

It was totally dirty, but you typically do glance down the middle once you reach the blue line. No point in watching your teammate if you haven't reached the zone yet, he's not going to send it outside the zone, and you need to be looking down the middle for the open lane. It almost looked like he was so fixed on the LW that he didn't want to look at who was about to smash him, and thought Rome would respect that he wasn't looking.

And it was exactly 1 second. Actually NHL Network said 29 frames out of 30 fps that go on TV.

As for the ruling...

I think he should have had a 1 game suspension to go with the misconduct. But I remember when I was a little kid and I would imagine the way a sports league should be, I thought that if you injure someone, you should be out as long as they're out. So I see the logic in their decision to end his season. If you heard Mike Murphy's press conference, he made a big deal about the fact that it injured Horton, a star player.

If Daniel Sedin would have suffered a concussion in the 3rd period when Marchand flipped him over on his head last night, would we see the last of Marchand?

Something doesn't seem right.

Let's go Bruins! I am not one to cheer for Boston teams (pretty much never), but 1. The Nucks are a dirty team and rivals of my Hawks and 2. They're from Canada.

The Bruins are really getting portrayed as underdog heroes, and the Canucks as the big meanies. Whoever wins it, I want to see them win it at home.

And Burrows is pretty scummy. I could have told you a long time ago that he was capable of this offensively... but I didn't know this is the kind of character he has. I'm starting to lean toward the Bruins, but they're certainly no angels, and who knows what crap gave 5 has in store for us?

It was totally dirty, but you typically do glance down the middle once you reach the blue line. No point in watching your teammate if you haven't reached the zone yet, he's not going to send it outside the zone, and you need to be looking down the middle for the open lane. It almost looked like he was so fixed on the LW that he didn't want to look at who was about to smash him, and thought Rome would respect that he wasn't looking.

And it was exactly 1 second. Actually NHL Network said 29 frames out of 30 fps that go on TV.

As for the ruling...

I think he should have had a 1 game suspension to go with the misconduct. But I remember when I was a little kid and I would imagine the way a sports league should be, I thought that if you injure someone, you should be out as long as they're out. So I see the logic in their decision to end his season. If you heard Mike Murphy's press conference, he made a big deal about the fact that it injured Horton, a star player.

If Daniel Sedin would have suffered a concussion in the 3rd period when Marchand flipped him over on his head last night, would we see the last of Marchand?

Something doesn't seem right.

Honestly, I think it was the NHL's way of sending a message. This kind of stuff has been happening so much in the last couple years, and it's gotten even worse this year. Personally, I believe it is because they are limiting fighting more and more, so the players shwo their aggression in a different way.

But I think that this has happened so much this year and last year (

FUCK OVECHKIN) that the NHL wants to send a message to players. And it definitely isn't an unreasonable message. It was a very dirty hit.

Honestly, I think it was the NHL's way of sending a message. This kind of stuff has been happening so much in the last couple years, and it's gotten even worse this year. Personally, I believe it is because they are limiting fighting more and more, so the players shwo their aggression in a different way.

But I think that this has happened so much this year and last year (

FUCK OVECHKIN) that the NHL wants to send a message to players. And it definitely isn't an unreasonable message. It was a very dirty hit.

Well talking about the Marchand play... he grabbed a guy around the head, took a penalty, then said fuck it, ducked and flipped Sedin over and then dropped his other glove, went right after another Canuck and got in a fight. That goes against everything you said there. Fighting and late hits.

Ballsy... yes. Especially for a rookie (that slashes at the legs of Daniel Sedin during faceoffs when the refs aren't facing him). But very dirty and possibly near the same league as Rome's hit.

If Sedin would have been injured... could they have swept his play under the rug the way they did?

Well talking about the Marchand play... he grabbed a guy around the head, took a penalty, then said fuck it, ducked and flipped Sedin over and then dropped his other glove, went right after another Canuck and got in a fight. That goes against everything you said there. Fighting and late hits.

Ballsy... yes. Especially for a rookie (that slashes at the legs of Daniel Sedin during faceoffs when the refs aren't facing him). But very dirty and possibly near the same league as Rome's hit.

If Sedin would have been injured... could they have swept his play under the rug the way they did?

Yeah, sorry. I was referring to a different play.

Looking at the Rome hit, the suspension was unfair. That hit was timed just fine, it wasn't even one second after he passed the puck.

As a sabres fan, this hit is always memorable to me

Now, everyone agrees that it is a clean hit, but Rome's is a travesty? The only difference I see watching that is that he left his feet which is obviously a no-no. However, the correct penalty for that is 2 minutes, not 4 games. The NHL can't just punish players for the results of hits rather than the hits themselves.

You do realize the NHL's standard on a late hit is .5 seconds after someone has gotten rid of the puck or later. How the hell was it timed perfectly if it was almost double past what would be considered a legally timed hit?

Rome didn't make a move to hit him until well after he released he the puck (Horton's second stride AFTER he's already released the puck).

He left his feet and launched himself.....this is totally worth the suspension in my eyes.

Anyways Game 5 tonight should be veryyyy interesting.

Edited by JetsFan4Life

Pretty sure Vancouver was dominating this poll when the series began... :laugh:

Pretty sure Vancouver was dominating this poll when the series began... :laugh:

LOL That's why I didn't vote.

Once again, the Canucks pull out a 1-0 win. One more victory and the Cup goes to Canada.