Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

What are you writing?

This reminds me of Unbreakable, with the protagonist having hero-like indestructibility, but with a very different spin on it. It's also a unique take on the shy-guy-falls-for-cute-girl story, which I like; I'm a big fan of taking cliched storylines and making them interesting.

Damn... not original enough. :p

Anyway, hopefully it breaks away from cliche and such with the actual plot and not just a synopsis. I plan on starting this week. Shall I post chapter-by-chapter updates?

EDIT: I also had another idea for his fall later on in the story. He can still feel all the pain that a normal person can, but he can't die from it. Would it be interesting if I added in that he abused pain-killers to deal with the pain and became addicted to the high?

Edited by Vikingfan465

Mine is more memoir than novel.

I got to expect other average college football player have dealt with the same sort of these.

General bullets:

• The school years and a dealing with new found appluase from people not of your family
  • Recruiting to the big school!
  • Being told you're not the 'right' guy to start at RB (You're white), try special teams
  • Dealing with injury and not able to play at your best
  • Rehad to find you've losted some steps
  • Meeting the first love of my life at OSU and having 2 babies with her
  • Career
  • Divrocing and remarrying the new love of my life
  • The fall from grace - Addition to opiates after a very bad shoulder op

• Upvote 1

Mine is more memoir than novel.

I got to expect other average college football player have dealt with the same sort of these.

General bullets:

• The school years and a dealing with new found appluase from people not of your family
  • Recruiting to the big school!
  • Being told you're not the 'right' guy to start at RB (You're white), try special teams
  • Dealing with injury and not able to play at your best
  • Rehad to find you've losted some steps
  • Meeting the first love of my life at OSU and having 2 babies with her
  • Career
  • Divrocing and remarrying the new love of my life
  • The fall from grace - Addition to opiates after a very bad shoulder op

When you say it's "more memoir than novel," are you writing it as a piece of fiction that's heavily based on your own experiences?

When you say it's "more memoir than novel," are you writing it as a piece of fiction that's heavily based on your own experiences?

Nah, just that it's not really going to be in a novel format. It's really just a journal of private memories. It would not be a public thing, I doubt anyone would be interested in really some BS from some has been :).

Edited by NaTaS

Show me your tit(le)s Steven!

I plan on dishing out cash to get like 100 or so paperback copies printed. DMac has been working on some cover art behind the scenes. Anyone who wants a copy, you'll get one. But that's down the road. In the meantime, I appreciate the interest, Zack (and maybe Razor, I'm not sure :p).

Oh, Razor has interest alright. ;)

Oh, Razor has interest alright. ;)

Tough to know what he's thinking, but Razor's the type of fellow where I don't really want to know what's going on inside his head. :inouteek:

Good call on that one.

Finished the first draft of the novel, 103,658 words, 372 pages. :rock:

It's not that hard to figure out what's going on inside my head.

Stuff

Edited by BC

Minor update on the novel I wrote this summer: proofreading takes forever.

I'm in the research phase for a screen play I'm writing.

I'm in the research phase for a screen play I'm writing.

Synopsis?

So, I'm still editing the college football book, and I'll continue to update you guys on my progress (or lack thereof), but now I'm starting to look ahead to what I want to write this upcoming summer.

I've considered stories of various genres but ultimately decided that before branching out, I'm going to stick to what I know and what I'm comfortable with: sports. Therefore, I'm developing ideas in my head about a novel based on the front office of an NFL football team. I'm thinking the GM is the protagonist, but the book overall would focus on the behind-the-scenes aspect of running an NFL team, not so much the on-the-field stuff. Having said that, I'd like to get some feedback from the quality sports fans we have 'round these parts.

Any general ideas/suggestions for the plot? Anything specifically you'd like to see hashed out? Anything at all would be an awesome help. Thank you in advance, TGP.

I would say something about a 1st time GM who is struggling to find his place in the league. He was hired a few years ago, but have seen limited results so far. Start up either right before a season ends or right after it ends and take readers through an off season. Work the football angle, of course.. but be sure to convey how taxing the job can be both physically and mentally for him and those around him. Maybe they fire their coach, and you go through a coaching search, obviously have to do the whole scouting and draft thing. Which is why I say maybe start out right before a season ends... Book opens and your GM is personally scouting some college games / players as his team looking for that next franchise QB or some such thing. :yep:

I am thinking more of a short-term novel. Something that doesn't really span a large period of time.

• Upvote 1

I totally agree on making the protagonist a 1st-time GM, and was probably headed down that angle anyway. I was thinking of starting the story when he gets interviewed or hired, but opening it with a disappointing week 17 loss segueing to the offseason is a good idea.

As far as time, I was thinking 3-5 years for the book, but could change that. As of now I see it as a rise-and-fall type story, but I haven't decided if the GM in question will see his team win Super Bowls and then fall off, or get very close but never seal the deal (like the Eagles!). Such ideas will be developed in time.

Thanks for the feedback, F4E. :yep:

Just finished writing the first chapter for Knights of Andreas, and I've deliberately written it in present tense. The book I wrote last summer is in past tense, and the difference is rather...interesting...I could probably ramble for paragraphs but those of you who write probably understand what I mean.

So, I'm still editing the college football book, and I'll continue to update you guys on my progress (or lack thereof), but now I'm starting to look ahead to what I want to write this upcoming summer.

I've considered stories of various genres but ultimately decided that before branching out, I'm going to stick to what I know and what I'm comfortable with: sports. Therefore, I'm developing ideas in my head about a novel based on the front office of an NFL football team. I'm thinking the GM is the protagonist, but the book overall would focus on the behind-the-scenes aspect of running an NFL team, not so much the on-the-field stuff. Having said that, I'd like to get some feedback from the quality sports fans we have 'round these parts.

Any general ideas/suggestions for the plot? Anything specifically you'd like to see hashed out? Anything at all would be an awesome help. Thank you in advance, TGP.

Ok dude, I have actually been writing on this for a while now as I know a published and she was always catching some football talk at parties and told me I should consider writing a novel about it. I have a a little over one hundred pages and your later comment about a crushing 36 point loss in week 17. I have modeled the book after the shitty bucs franchises, the Miami hurricanes in the 70's, the browns, the ravens, and the raiders.

The protagonist is definitely the GM but he has to take over for a once storied franchise who has not had a winning season in 15 years and has become a revolving door of GM's with all of them lasting only 2 years tops. He has to stem the tide of medicocirty.

I could only think of four ways to really approach the book. Either it is a highly touted recruit and scout for a successful franchise (see Eric Decosta) and he already has the pedigree and makes a few tweaks to the team and turns them into perennial champions. Or he takes a scorched earth policy and just starts from scratch. The other two are with an unknown guy who does the same, it has allowed for more development of a back story which allows for a more interesting plot imo.

Writing poetry again. It's not good.

In this, the last depth of despair

I have transcended the feeble form of a child

For adulthood is a stinging burn, branded on those who have failed at living

My body is an iron curtain, my heart weak and fleshy

Pounding desperately to sustain a breathing wall

Each breath, slower than the last.

I am calm! I can fight through anything… Lies!

I am but a man, useless to all except himself

With no friends, no power, society sets off alone.

I recklessly charge, with eyes blind to the enveloping darkness

Two hands grasp, and fall into the never ending abyss.

How can a failure navigate these pits, these unfathomable depths?

Contradictions and lies hold their form

but I am a piece of meat, simply coated in iron.

I am not hard. I will break as I fall.

This empty space is a coffin, pure in its guilt, its failing.

I am but a man, useless to all, even myself.

• Upvote 1