Sign in to follow this  
JetsFan4Life

NYS Passes Same Sex Marriage Bill

New York's Republican-controlled legislature cleared the way Friday to legalize same-sex marriage with a 33-to-29 vote, sending the bill to the governor's desk for his approval.

The vote came after days of delays that saw last-minute lobbying on all sides, passing by a slim margin with Republican support -- the first time a state legislature with a Republican majority has approved such a bill.

Once Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who proposed the bill, signs it, same-sex couples will be able to marry within 30 days.

"New York has finally torn down the barrier that has prevented same-sex couples from exercising the freedom to marry and from receiving the fundamental protections that so many couples and families take for granted," Cuomo, a Democrat, said in a written statement shortly after the vote.

Link

Gay marriage about to get passed in a lot more places. People love to copy New York State. :biggrin:

• Downvote 1

Good. This is such an annoying non issue. Give everyone their rights so we can move onto bigger issues.

• Upvote 2

Link

Gay marriage about to get passed in a lot more places. People love to copy Canada . :biggrin:

Fixed it.

Fixed it.

If that the case we'd have universal healthcare...

Good. This is such an annoying non issue. Give everyone their rights so we can move onto bigger issues.

This is fine in more populated places like New York. Far as I'm concerned, though, it's a state by state thing. This isn't a federal issue. For one thing, I doubt North Dakota ever passes a law like this. I wouldn't mind, but I kind of like our old school ways, too. We're not against same sex marriage, we just don't have a large enough gay community to make any kind of issue about it. They'll just live together anyway. Same thing, really.

This is fine in more populated places like New York. Far as I'm concerned, though, it's a state by state thing. This isn't a federal issue. For one thing, I doubt North Dakota ever passes a law like this. I wouldn't mind, but I kind of like our old school ways, too. We're not against same sex marriage, we just don't have a large enough gay community to make any kind of issue about it. They'll just live together anyway. Same thing, really.

Except then they don't have the rights of a married couple. Just because there aren't a lot of people who don't have the rights they deserve doesn't mean those people don't need them. If its really such a small issue, just pass the bill so you can make them happy without really effecting anyone else.

• Upvote 1

Great, now Bangy really wants to come to America..

A) I'm straight

B) It has been legal here for about 2 years now.

Edited by Arz

This is fine in more populated places like New York. Far as I'm concerned, though, it's a state by state thing. This isn't a federal issue.

:rock:

10th Amendment

• Upvote 1

I really dont care about this issue. What do I care what people do as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

:rock:

10th Amendment

IMO, I think the states should have the only legal authority (not the federal government or the US federal or state court system) to decide on this issue, meaning either they pass a law that comes to a conclusion on this matter or the people vote in a referendum (constitutional amendment or just a regular law) whether they want to have same-sex marriage or not in there particular state.

Guest Durant4MVP

IMO, I think the states should have the only legal authority (not the federal government or the US federal or state court system) to decide on this issue, meaning either they pass a law that comes to a conclusion on this matter or the people vote in a referendum (constitutional amendment or just a regular law) whether they want to have same-sex marriage or not in there particular state.

Normally I would too, but when it comes to banning same-sex marriages I believe you're oppressing their rights to equal tax benefits and everything else that comes with any other marriage license. It's a case of discrimination and if the states refuse to address it then the federal government needs to step in.

Normally I would too, but when it comes to banning same-sex marriages I believe you're oppressing their rights to equal tax benefits and everything else that comes with any other marriage license. It's a case of discrimination and if the states refuse to address it then the federal government needs to step in.

What is the point of having state's rights if Feds get what they want, one way or another?

Guest Durant4MVP

What is the point of having state's rights if Feds get what they want, one way or another?

Sorry but states can shove the 10th amendment up their own asses if they're going to use it to discriminate and oppress.

Edited by Durant4MVP

Sorry but states can shove the 10th amendment up their ass if they're going to use it to discriminate and oppress.

You can discriminate and oppress on just about any issue....

No stealing? Stop discriminating against all the thieves out there!

No murdering? Stop oppressing the murderers!

Obviously those are extreme examples, but you need to put to such extreme measures to see just how ridiculous it is.

Gun laws? Oppress the right to bear arms.

Property tax? Oppress land owners (there really is no such thing as owning land, it's all on lease from the Feds)

Outsourcing manufacturing? Discriminating against American workers.

We could go on... and on... and on... Oppression and discrimination is the name of the game. I don't see the Feds stopping property taxes... Our outsourcing?

States should be able to define what marriage is based on their residents. If the majority want marriage to be between a man and a woman... So be it! Why is it Utah's problem that New York passed Gay Marriage?

It's New York's right to pass Gay Marriage. And it's a great show of progression that they did, but that doesn't mean all the other states have to. Let the people decide. If gay couples want to get married... Move to New York! Move to Iowa. Of course, no one is requiring them to move...

But it's the same principle as eating at a restaurant that doesn't differentiate between smoking and non-smoking sections. If a non-smoker doesn't like smoke... They probably aren't going to be dining in said establishment.

Leave it up to the people... Whatever they decide is right, and when the time comes... Maybe they will pass such legislation.

• Upvote 2

Guest Durant4MVP

Obviously those are extreme examples, but you need to put to such extreme measures to see just how ridiculous it is.

Property tax? Oppress land owners (there really is no such thing as owning land, it's all on lease from the Feds)

2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

We could go on... and on... and on... Oppression and discrimination is the name of the game. I don't see the Feds stopping property taxes... Our outsourcing?

Property taxes are constitutionally legal. Outsourcing is committed by private businesses...there's nothing discriminatory about it.

States should be able to define what marriage is based on their residents. If the majority want marriage to be between a man and a woman... So be it! Why is it Utah's problem that New York passed Gay Marriage?

If the government is going to provide tax benefits and other incentives to married couples and then deny those benefits to a couple based on their sexual preference, then no they don't have the right to define marriage because they're discriminating against a group of people.

It's New York's right to pass Gay Marriage. And it's a great show of progression that they did, but that doesn't mean all the other states have to. Let the people decide. If gay couples want to get married... Move to New York! Move to Iowa. Of course, no one is requiring them to move...

But it's the same principle as eating at a restaurant that doesn't differentiate between smoking and non-smoking sections. If a non-smoker doesn't like smoke... They probably aren't going to be dining in said establishment.

Leave it up to the people... Whatever they decide is right, and when the time comes... Maybe they will pass such legislation.

I'm not saying they NEED to. I'm saying they cannot and should not pass legislation banning same-sex marriage.

Edited by Durant4MVP

2. treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.

Property taxes are constitutionally legal. Outsourcing is committed by private businesses...there's nothing discriminatory about it.

If the government is going to provide tax benefits and other incentives to married couples and then deny those benefits to a couple based on their sexual preference, then no they don't have the right to define marriage because they're discriminating against a group of people.

I'm not saying they NEED to. I'm saying they cannot and should not pass legislation banning same-sex marriage.

I am going to stop you right there... You are preaching constitutional rights... Yet you just said above that if states don't allow gay marriage (BASED ON A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT), that the Fed's should step in.

Marriage is not covered... Therefore, we have to leave it up to the states.

You can't just preach the Constitution when it suits your fancy. You can't have your cake, and eat it too.

Guest Durant4MVP

I am going to stop you right there... You are preaching constitutional rights... Yet you just said above that if states don't allow gay marriage (BASED ON A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT), that the Fed's should step in.

Marriage is not covered... Therefore, we have to leave it up to the states.

You can't just preach the Constitution when it suits your fancy. You can't have your cake, and eat it too.

Good grief. The 10th amendment is not that black and white nor does it give states the power to discriminate.

I'm not preaching the constitution when it suits my fancy. Banning same-sex marriage is discriminatory and oppressive. I don't know how else to say it or why you even want to dispute it.

Edited by Durant4MVP

I am on your side here, but you kind of lost me when you compared gay people to murderers and thieves. You admitted that it was extreme, but examples that extreme cannot possibly give you a good idea of the real situation. Basically what you were saying there was that we shouldn't protect murderers and thieves just like we shouldn't protect gay people.

Also, btw, Ron Paul supports Gay Marrige, and I take the same position as he: Whether or not I believe it is right takes a back seat to my belief in freedom.

There will always be discrimination and oppression in our world.

Well said.

Honestly I did hear one good argument against gay marriage that makes sense. If all the gay couples get the same benefits as straight ones, thats a lot more money the state has to spend. I'm not saying it changes my opinion but that is something to think about.

Guest Durant4MVP

Honestly I did hear one good argument against gay marriage that makes sense. If all the gay couples get the same benefits as straight ones, thats a lot more money the state has to spend. I'm not saying it changes my opinion but that is something to think about.

That's not an argument against gay marriage, it's an argument against tax deductions.