Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

2010 never happened in Columbus, Ohio

Ohio State vacating Big Ten, Sugar Bowl titles from 2010 season

Dave Curtis Sporting News

Ohio State will vacate its 2010 Big Ten and Sugar Bowl championships and all other games from last season as a self-imposed NCAA sanction, according to the school’s response to an NCAA Notice of Allegations.

The response, released Friday, also includes two years of self-imposed probation and outlines increased compliance efforts and staffing.

Perhaps what’s most surprising about the response is what it doesn’t include. OSU didn’t self-impose scholarship losses or a postseason ban. Many around college football expect them to be part of the program’s eventual punishment.

Sources told The Columbus Dispatch that school leadership chose not to impose the more severe penalties because they feel only former coach Jim Tressel knew of the violations. The problems, they contend, revolve around an individual, not the Ohio State athletic department or its system of NCAA compliance.

The NCAA Committee on Infractions will consider these sanctions when it meets with Ohio State officials Aug. 12. The committee can impose additional penalties both in this specific case and if it deems Ohio State a repeat offender. The Buckeyes in the last decade have been cited for violations by former quarterback Troy Smith and ex-men’s basketball coach Jim O’Brien.

Buckeyes players selling gear and memorabilia at a local tattoo parlor, and Tressel not revealing his knowledge of the transactions to school or NCAA officials, compose the core of the scandal. It has led to Tressel’s departure, which athletic director Gene Smith admitted was forced, and quarterback Terrelle Pryor’s decision to leave school a year early and pursue an NFL career.

SOURCE: Sporting News

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Perhaps what’s most surprising about the response is what it doesn’t include. OSU didn’t self-impose scholarship losses or a postseason ban. Many around college football expect them to be part of the program’s eventual punishment.

Yep. Make it happen NCAA. What tOSU has imposed on itself is a slap on the wrist.

As many years as the NCAA has wiped from the record books, do you suppose we're really living in 1972 now and not 2011?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I doubt the Buckeyes care about anything erased from the past. They're more concerned about the NCAA taking away things in the future, which I still think it will...at least some scholarships.

I expect them to get hit with less scholarships. Maybe a couple of seasons banned from post-season play.

I expect them to get hit with less scholarships. Maybe a couple of seasons banned from post-season play.

The Buckeyes and the Big 10 have a pretty good relationship with the NCAA, so you never know how it's going to go.

Mike Garrett sat back and said nothing at USC, while waving his middle finger at the NCAA for 4-years. That's why the Trojans got hammered.

Well, the NCAA reaps what it sows. College football went from a niche, localized sport, to arguably the second most profitable league in the country after the NFL. You make BILLIONS off these schools, games, TV deals, oh yeah....and KIDS.

They created this monster and have no clue to how corral it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ya, I think they just vacated the 2010 season in hopes that the NCAA goes lighter on them. And like someone said earlier, I doubt they care at all about 2010 anymore. Sure, it as nice as it happened. But it's 2011 now (derp). They are going to be playing to win games NOW

Doesn't affect me at all. Those games were still played and we still won them. I just hope we don't get barred from playing for this year's championship.

I just hope we don't get barred from playing for this year's championship.

I'm pretty sure the team you're putting out does a good enough job of that on its own.

• Upvote 1

I don't get the whole forfeiting thing. The games have already been played. It adjusts the record books and that's it pretty much.

Well, the NCAA reaps what it sows. College football went from a niche, localized sport, to arguably the second most profitable league in the country after the NFL. You make BILLIONS off these schools, games, TV deals, oh yeah....and KIDS.

They created this monster and have no clue to how corral it.

That's just it: Why corral it? Make some new rules and get some of these archaic "values systems" off of the books. What, they want to keep the game pure?!? What a joke. That went out the window YEARS ago. They want to protect the integrity of the kids? I guess they never should have started all the signing day specials on ESPN. They want to ensure the highest moral quality of student athlete? They should have tried to get their schools to stop recruiting the fastest, strongest criminals they can find-not saying they all do this, but it happens.

It's one thing to put a value on education, but if people go to school to make $$$-and that's why EVERYONE goes to school-then stop punishing kids for doing just that. These OSU "kids" are actually adults who were doing nothing more than selling their own personal property, and that's a rule violation because that's one less jersey sale the NCAA can't get its cut from.

F the rules committee. That is all.

• Upvote 1

I like that they had their bowl wins taken away. It does mean something because 20 years from now people will look back and OSU won't be there.

At the same time, I agree that their future needs to be hurt as well. Take away some scholarships; I am all for that. However, what I would like to see the most is the NCAA banning them from the postseason. I know that really hit USC hard after their scandal. That is the best punishment.

I like that they had their bowl wins taken away. It does mean something because 20 years from now people will look back and OSU won't be there.

At the same time, I agree that their future needs to be hurt as well. Take away some scholarships; I am all for that. However, what I would like to see the most is the NCAA banning them from the postseason. I know that really hit USC hard after their scandal. That is the best punishment.

A Postseason ban is crippling, and not because you can't play in a bowl game. USC still played 13 games in 2010, like many others. But what the ban does is allow juniors and seniors to transfer without penalty. It depleted the roster, which is why the Trojans struggled to finish games.

A Postseason ban is crippling, and not because you can't play in a bowl game. USC still played 13 games in 2010, like many others. But what the ban does is allow juniors and seniors to transfer without penalty. It depleted the roster, which is why the Trojans struggled to finish games.

Right. And why wouldn't they want to transfer when they find out that they won't get to play in a bowl game? The regular season really seems worthless if you are banned from the postseason.

Right. And why wouldn't they want to transfer when they find out that they won't get to play in a bowl game? The regular season really seems worthless if you are banned from the postseason.

The guys that left USC (except Seantrel Henderson) weren't worried about postseason play. They were players that weren't going to start. No starters left, only reserves. Malik Jackson could barely get on the field, now he's starring at Tennessee. D.J. Shoemate was recruited as a RB, but because of the depth, was converted to reserve fullback and tight end. He will likely be the starting running back for UConn in 2011. Other transfers were TE Blake Ayles and LB Jordan Campbell, two guys 3-deep on the depth chart.

Seantrel Henderson backed out of his commitment and said he wanted to play in the postseason, but he was the only one. If Pete Carroll was still there, he wouldn't have committed at all, because his parents felt Carroll wasn't giving him enough attention. Even with his departure, the Trojans still landed top 5 recruiting classes in each of the past two seasons, first with sanctions looming, and then with a postseason ban in place. These guys are eyeing the NFL, and you can't ban that.

Kyle Kalis just said he decommitted from tOSU and chose Michigan because he didn't want to be penalized for something he didn't do. But I still have to wonder if he would have decommitted had Tressel still been in place, even with penalities on the horizon.

The guys that left USC (except Seantrel Henderson) weren't worried about postseason play. They were players that weren't going to start. No starters left, only reserves. Malik Jackson could barely get on the field, now he's starring at Tennessee. D.J. Shoemate was recruited as a RB, but because of the depth, was converted to reserve fullback and tight end. He will likely be the starting running back for UConn in 2011. Other transfers were TE Blake Ayles and LB Jordan Campbell, two guys 3-deep on the depth chart.

Seantrel Henderson backed out of his commitment and said he wanted to play in the postseason, but he was the only one. If Pete Carroll was still there, he wouldn't have committed at all, because his parents felt Carroll wasn't giving him enough attention. Even with his departure, the Trojans still landed top 5 recruiting classes in each of the past two seasons, first with sanctions looming, and then with a postseason ban in place. These guys are eyeing the NFL, and you can't ban that.

Kyle Kalis just said he decommitted from tOSU and chose Michigan because he didn't want to be penalized for something he didn't do. But I still have to wonder if he would have decommitted had Tressel still been in place, even with penalities on the horizon.

I understand. I'm just saying that I definitely think that the banning of postseason play is a major blow to a school and it's fans.

I cant really talk yet on the subject. It's still really painful. What this school allowed to happen, knowing the rules is unforgivable. I'm surprised the AD has not yet been dismissed, he should have been on the chopping block months ago. That said, the rules that were broken go on in EVERY SINGLE university. OSU was caught.

In the end its the fans that lose out and that is bullshit.

I understand. I'm just saying that I definitely think that the banning of postseason play is a major blow to a school and it's fans.

Why should they pick a punishment with the intent of punishing us? What did we do?

Yep. Make it happen NCAA. What tOSU has imposed on itself is a slap on the wrist.

Bullshit. Punishment should fit the crime. You want to fuckin hang them for players trading their memorabilia in exchange for goods and Tressel protecting said players from the NCAA and potentially Drug Lords. Did they cheat? Did they do stuff that your favorite school isnt doing? Do you think star college athletes dont receive preferential treatment? Yes, destroy the program...That seems fair.

Most of you HATE the NCAA and believe them to be corrupt as shit but you 'rabble, rabble, rabble' for punishment on a University based on your hate for that University? Let's not get this shit twisted. You clamoring for additional punishment hate tOSU and that is likely the reason you want to see the Uni punished even more.

Note: What the players and Coach Tressell did was wrong and should be punished. I am sadden by the events that took place. We lost a great coach and the players that are behind the issues will go on to the NFL and leave the problems behind. Again, the school should receive something, but they should not be punished to the extent most of you that have fallen into the media fueled insanity are asking for.

Why should they pick a punishment with the intent of punishing us? What did we do?

I didn't say that you deserved a punishment, but when a team is punished by the NCAA it's fans are hurt as well.

Although OSU fans are jerks...:p

Most of you HATE the NCAA and believe them to be corrupt as shit but you 'rabble, rabble, rabble' for punishment on a University based on your hate for that University? Let's not get this shit twisted. You clamoring for additional punishment hate tOSU and that is likely the reason you want to see the Uni punished even more.

I have no hate for Ohio State. As a Trojans fan, I'm just waiting to see how consistent/inconsistent the NCAA is.

Bullshit. Punishment should fit the crime. You want to fuckin hang them for players trading their memorabilia in exchange for goods and Tressel protecting said players from the NCAA and potentially Drug Lords. Did they cheat? Did they do stuff that your favorite school isnt doing? Do you think star college athletes dont receive preferential treatment? Yes, destroy the program...That seems fair.

AJ Green sat out four games for admitting to selling one jersey. tOSU players sold/traded off much more than that (including the Golden Pants) for MULTIPLE YEARS. You honestly believe a five game suspension (which they aren't spending), record book cleansing (while keeping the profits), and firing of the coach (who was paid bonuses and whatever other sums due to contract) is fair? Please.

Since I don't know of my favorite university doing anything like this, how about USC and Reggie Bush? They pinned him for accepting improper benefits and their program was hit with post-season bans and lost scholarships. They also lost their amazing coach (who could have easily known about it). Yet again, one player.. tOSU had at least five.

I may hate the NCAA but that doesn't mean I don't think they should do their job. Compared to the other rulings they've put down, the punishment would fit the crime if the NCAA took it to that level.

Note: What the players and Coach Tressell did was wrong and should be punished. I am sadden by the events that took place. We lost a great coach and the players that are behind the issues will go on to the NFL and leave the problems behind. Again, the school should receive something, but they should not be punished to the extent most of you that have fallen into the media fueled insanity are asking for.

It's the program's job to make sure situations like this don't happen, hence why many are curious of to why the Athletic Director hasn't been axed yet too. They deserve a true punishment. I'm sorry it's your favorite university that's being beating up for this kind of stuff but the best way to avoid it is to not do it in the first place. Whether other universities do it or not, it's still against the rules.

Yep wipe it from the record books. The highlights still exist so I'm good and Michigan knows.... :) Go Bucks!