Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

Hines Ward Arrested and Charged with DUI

DECATUR, Ga. -- Pittsburgh Steelers star wide receiver Hines Ward was arrested early Saturday in Georgia on a drunken driving charge, sheriff's officials said.

The former Super Bowl MVP and reigning "Dancing With the Stars" winner was booked into the DeKalb County jail just outside Atlanta at 3:41 a.m. ET and charged with driving under the influence. He was released on $1,300 bond.

The sheriff's office said it had turned over paperwork to the courts and couldn't release any further information about the player's arrest.

A Steelers spokesman did not immediately respond to a message, and it was not immediately clear if Ward had an attorney.

Since being drafted in the third round out of Georgia in 1998, the 35-year-old Ward has been a four-time Pro Bowl selection and won two Super Bowls.

Dancing with professional partner Kym Johnson, Ward in May became the second professional football player to win the "Dancing" crown after Emmitt Smith won in 2006. He beat actresses Kirstie Alley and Chelsea Kane to become the Season 12 champion of the TV celebrity dance competition.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6751942

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Hines-Ward-arrested-DUI-charge-070911

DECATUR, Ga. (AP)

Pittsburgh Steelers star wide receiver Hines Ward was arrested early Saturday in Georgia on a drunken driving charge, sheriff's officials said.

The former Super Bowl MVP and reigning ''Dancing With the Stars'' champ was booked into the DeKalb County jail just outside Atlanta at 3:41 a.m. and charged with driving under the influence. He was released on $1,300 bond. The sheriff's office said it had turned over paperwork to the courts and couldn't release any further information about the player's arrest.

A Steelers spokesman did not immediately respond to a message, and it was not immediately clear if Ward had an attorney.

Since being drafted in the third round out of Georgia in 1998, the 35-year-old Ward has been a four-time Pro Bowl selection and won two Super Bowls.

Dancing with professional partner Kym Johnson, Ward in May became the second professional football player to win the ''Dancing'' crown after Emmitt Smith won in 2006. He bested actresses Kirstie Alley and Chelsea Kane to become the season 12 champion of the TV celebrity dance competition.

F4E beat you to it by a minute or two, Vin. lol

Edited by BucD
  • Upvote 1

Seems like every NFL player gets one of these at some point.

Did he offer to dance for the officer as part of the sobriety test?

Did he offer to dance for the officer as part of the sobriety test?

No, but I heard he tried to hit one of the officers when they weren't looking.

• Upvote 2

Guest Durant4MVP

No, but I heard he tried to hit one of the officers when they weren't looking.

Yay for hearsay!

http://deadspin.com/5819696/hines-wards-manager-the-facts-will-show-that-hines-was-not-impaired-by-alcohol-while-driving

Hines Ward’s Manager: "The Facts Will Show That Hines Was NOT Impaired By Alcohol While Driving"

Brian Hickey — Remember that whole "Here's Hines Ward's Mug Shot" thing from this morning? Yeah, well Hines's people want you to just forget about all that.

Ward's manager, Andrew Ree, tells TMZ, "He cooperated fully with the police and truthfully answered all of their questions. We are currently in the process of ascertaining all the facts. From our preliminary investigation we can tell you that we are confident that the facts will show that Hines was NOT impaired by alcohol while driving. ... However, Hines is deeply saddened by this incident and apologizes to his fans and the Steelers organization for this distraction."

Yay for hearsay!

Well...that joke flew right over your head, didn't it?

Guest Durant4MVP

Well...that joke flew right over your head, didn't it?

Hahaha, yeah it did. Sorry, I'm still in an NBA state of mind right now.

Ward, you are an idiot!

That is all.

Edited by BigBen07

Ray Rice expects Hines Ward to be suspended for DUI

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 11, 2011, 12:15 PM EDT

Ravens running back Ray Rice has weighed in on the weekend drunk driving arrest of Steelers receiver Hines Ward, and Rice thinks the arrest will mean Ward is suspended for the Week One Steelers-Ravens game.

“Well it looks like Hines Ward will miss week 1 when the lockout ends DUI charge not a good look,†Rice tweeted.

Whether Rice is correct or not about Ward being out for Week One remains to be seen, but ESPN.com notes that drunk driving is a matter of great personal importance to Rice: His cousin was killed by a drunk driver in 1998, and he has worked with the state of Maryland to campaign against drunk driving. So it’s easy to see why Rice felt inclined to chime in.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark, however, didn’t like it, telling Rice, “So glad you could Weigh in†and “Thought we were all better than that.â€

Rice’s reply to Clark was, “you know how to find me.â€

SOURCE: PFT

:chair: Love it. Best rivalry in the game now, without question.

• Upvote 1

Exact exchange, becaust PFT left a few things out (weird).

Rice: "Well it looks like Hines Ward will miss week 1 when the lockout ends DUI charge not a good look."

Clark:"So glad you could Weigh in. Thx,"

Rice:"it's whatever u wanna do bro you know how to find me."

Clark: "I hear ya brother.Thought we were all better than that. Wouldnt speak negative of you. I'll find you!It's not hard. God bless,"

Then later on Clark's Twitter: "Life is good! More and more reasons to be excited about football! Week 1 just got even better!It's my fault for respecting those I shouldn't"

Fuck NFL Redzone, this whole game will be on my television come Week 1.

Fuck NFL Redzone, this whole game will be on my television come Week 1.

Same.

Contrary to Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward's denials that he was impaired by alcohol when he was arrested for driving under the influence in Atlanta, a police report states that the NFL star failed field sobriety tests.

According to TMZ, Ward blew a .128 over the legal blood alcohol limit in Georgia is .08. However, the test isn't admissible in court and Ward refused to take an official test.

According to the police report, Ward had glassy, bloodshot eyes and was driving erratically, leaving his lane and hitting a curb in his Aston Martin.

The Dancing With the Star winner told the arresting officer that he drank two bottles of Corona beer in the Buckhead area of Atlanta.

During his field sobriety test, Ward allegedly lost his balance and mixed up and skipped letters when asked to recite the alphabet.

Ward was assigned an Oct. 6 court date.

If convicted of the misdemeanor charge, he could face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Ward's agent, Andrew Ree, released the following statement after the arrest and said today that he stands behind his words:

"On July 9th Hines Ward was stopped by Dekalb Co. police for suspicion of misdemeanor driving under the influence. He cooperated fully with the police and truthfully answered all of their questions. We are currently in the process of ascertaining all the facts. From our preliminary investigation we can tell you that we are confident that the facts will show that Hines was NOT impaired by alcohol while driving. However, Hines is deeply saddened by this incident and apologizes to his fans and the Steelers organization for this distraction.”

just two bottles of beer ? he must be a lightweight or he is bullshitting.

just two bottles of beer ? he must be a lightweight or he is bullshitting.

It doesn't matter if it was two or twenty. Ward should not have done that.

It doesn't matter if it was two or twenty. Ward should not have done that.

thats not what im getting at. if it was just two bottles of beer I doubt his eyes would be bloodshot and he would be that impaired.

thats not what im getting at. if it was just two bottles of beer I doubt his eyes would be bloodshot and he would be that impaired.

I get you. Sorry if I sounded like a jerk. I'm just annoyed at this.