Sign in to follow this  
SteelersNation36

Harrison Rips Goodell, Teammates

No, because you're making an idiot of yourself.

You're making an idiot of yourself, lol. You first tell me to stop talking for posting a valid point. Then you get on your soapbox and begin preaching about open-mindedness. Now you're back to calling me an idiot. :rofl:

If this were Drew Brees everyone would be on his side, spouting things about how the media are fiends and they do anything to get a story.

You're making an idiot of yourself, lol. You first tell me to stop talking for posting a valid point. Then you get on your soapbox and begin preaching about open-mindedness. Now you're back to calling me an idiot. :rofl:

If this were Drew Brees everyone would be on his side, spouting things about how the media are fiends and they do anything to get a story.

There's a reason it's James Harrison and not Drew Brees. When has Brees ever called out his teammates publicly and blamed them for losses? Harrison is a diva in my opinion. He likes the fines I think he likes the attention. If he didn't like attention he wouldn't be posing shirtless for a magazine with some guns. He wants to scare people and the truth is he's scaring no one and just looking like a fool.

There's no way. If Brees criticized his teammates like Harrison did, I would be just as critical.

That's not the point I am making... I am saying that, in a hypothetical world where Drew Brees either made a joke or said some things offhand and the reporter twisted it into something worse, you would all believe Brees when he said that was what happened. I am not defending Harrison. I think it is beyond fucked up to call out your teammates in the media.

However, we all know how reporting goes these days. The reporter baits someone into saying something that sounds terrible, and shit blows up and they get high fived by their boss. If Roethlisberger and Mendenhall have no problem with what he said, then I don't either. None of us knows what was actually said or what tone it was said in, so I am going to save the crucifix.

That's not the point I am making... I am saying that, in a hypothetical world where Drew Brees either made a joke or said some things offhand and the reporter twisted it into something worse, you would all believe Brees when he said that was what happened. I am not defending Harrison. I think it is beyond fucked up to call out your teammates in the media.

However, we all know how reporting goes these days. The reporter baits someone into saying something that sounds terrible, and shit blows up and they get high fived by their boss. If Roethlisberger and Mendenhall have no problem with what he said, then I don't either. None of us knows what was actually said or what tone it was said in, so I am going to save the crucifix.

maybe because big ben and Mendy perfer to keep shit in the lockeroom where it belongs.

• Upvote 2

maybe because big ben and Mendy perfer to keep shit in the lockeroom where it belongs.

This. And I can't speak for others but I'd be just as critical if Drew Brees called out Pierre Thomas and J-Vil or something like that.

• Upvote 1

to be fair I already think drew brees is a dildo anyways.

Ok, I don't know about everyone else, but I can assure you that I would still criticize Brees for saying this.

And like MOTM said, going to the media about it makes it 1000x worse.

The key word there is "maybe." Maybe they actually are fine with what he said. None of us knows, but I will take them at their word.

Consider this:

A reporter asks you if you would ever kill a man to save someone's life. You say, "of course I would." Then he puts in his article that, when asked if you would ever kill a man you responded with, "of course I would." Technically, it's still true, but the impact is completely shifted.

• Downvote 1

The key word there is "maybe." Maybe they actually are fine with what he said. None of us knows, but I will take them at their word.

Consider this:

A reporter asks you if you would ever kill a man to save someone's life. You say, "of course I would." Then he puts in his article that, when asked if you would ever kill a man you responded with, "of course I would." Technically, it's still true, but the impact is completely shifted.

Do you have any proof that the guy did something that dramatic?

Do you have any proof that the guy did something that dramatic?

Show me proof that he didn't. Harrison says the reporter did and Ben and Mendenhall have both publicly stated that they are not upset. Also, it's common knowledge that this sort of thing happens in reporting all the time. Harrison could have trashed his own play or praised the Packers in his interview, but had it left out. None of us knows unless the tape is released, so please, spare me the shallow, rudimentary "PROVE IT" argument when we are all in the dark on this.

It would first depend on if he said very similar things, because there is no way to misconstrue what Harrison said about his teammates and Goodell. Using someone like Drew as an example is a little ridiculous anyway when he's seen as a stand-up player as well as a person, so yeah he would probably get the benefit of the doubt because the odds that someone like him would go off like this or slim to none. No one bothers giving loud mouth asshats like Harrison the benefit of the doubt when he's so often in the news bitching about something.

"Hey, at least throw a pick on their side of the field instead of asking the D to bail you out again. Or hand the ball off and stop trying to act like Peyton Manning. You ain't that and you know it, man; you just get paid like he does,"

There aren't many ways to misconstrue that and I can't think of a way "fumble machine" would be used as either a joke or off-hand comment when it's used for a teammate that fumbled the ball.

Edited by Shotgun

Show me proof that he didn't. Harrison says the reporter did and Ben and Mendenhall have both publicly stated that they are not upset. Also, it's common knowledge that this sort of thing happens in reporting all the time. Harrison could have trashed his own play or praised the Packers in his interview, but had it left out. None of us knows unless the tape is released, so please, spare me the shallow, rudimentary "PROVE IT" argument when we are all in the dark on this.

I don't have to prove he didn't do it. I assume that people are honest unless I have a good reason to believe otherwise. In this case I have no reason to believe otherwise.

I am trying to think of a question that would warrant that kind of response, and then trying to figure out how it could be twisted. What question could have been asked of Harrison, in a way that that response is acceptable?

I really can't think of many scenarios.

I was kidding about the "in before Zack defends Harrison" post (which btw thanks for the neg lol), but shit I didn't really believe you were going to make an attempt at this lmao...

Zachary, there's a reason you're the ONLY member on this board sticking up for Harrison...

• Upvote 1

Consider this:

So drastic it's not even funny. If it was that drastic I guarantee if Harrison had any brains he would come out and say "the question was asked like this and I and answered it like this." How did he misconstrue the race talk? Or calling Goodell the devil (which is laughable).

You know what? I'm entertained, and that's what Russell Crowe would want.

Perhaps he'll spare Harrison's life.

• Upvote 2

It's James Harrison we're talking about. He's one of the biggest assholes to step foot on a football field. I respect him as a player because he's a monster, but as a person? Hell no.

Big Ben and Mendy said they aren't upset (whether they are or truly aren't) because they don't wanna get involved with Harrison's bullshit. Those two are trying to be good teammates to everyone else and make sure that the cancer that is James Harrison doesn't tear apart the comradery that holds together a great football team.

If Harrison wasn't so good, I'd be 100% sure that he'd be gone when the lockout ends. He still might be, because the Rooney's are a classy bunch, and I can't wait to see what they do about this.

And if it seems that I'm taking this situation personally, it's because I can't stand players like this.

• Upvote 2

If it were about Drew Brees, then I'd just think he was another crybaby prima-donna QB...as most of them are anyway.

His initial quote of comments were simply unprofessional, and lacking of a good teammate.

Throwing out the race card, when his biggest fine was against hitting another man of the same race? That's just a punk move.

I like his aggressive playstyle, big hits are awesome to watch, but yeah I can understand the intention of trying to curb the "headhunting".

Come on zack of course there going to say that there fine with his comments. There not going to come out to the public and the media saying that they had a problem with his comments the media would take the story and run with it if Ben and Mendy came out and said that. Shit with teammates stays in the lockeroom and thats where it belongs.

I don't agree with much of what the guy said in his interview, and he DEFINITELY went a little over the top with his Goodell bashing. That being said though, this is still America last I checked.

He can say anything he wants to say. That's one of the things that makes this country great.

I think it's some hoe shit to come out against your teammates publicly if you've never said any of those things to their faces, but I don't know that he never did that. Everyone knows he thinks Goodell hates him, so that part of the interview shouldn't really come as that much of a shock.

The league can't punish Harrison for something that he said while they were locking him and everyone else out, so I don't see there being any direct action taken against him over this. However, every hit; every rant; every sneeze, twitch, or time he picks his nose is going to bring more hell on him than anything he's ever seen before IMO. He thought it was bad before, but I don't think he's seen anything yet.

Like I said: It's his right to say whatever he wants. He'd just better be prepared to face the music for the things that he says. This won't be the last outrageous rant-and-rave moment from Harrison this season. :bookit:

So it appears basically a Steelers fan-boy wrote the article. :facepalm:

Men’s Journal writer defends James Harrison, blasts “idiot†quarterbacks

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 14, 2011, 10:16 AM EDT

Steelers linebacker James Harrison claimed his words were twisted when he was quoted by Men’s Journal as ripping some of his own teammates. But the writer whose integrity was called into question by Harrison is not upset by Harrison’s remarks — and he agrees with everything Harrison says.

Paul Solotaroff, who wrote the Men’s Journal article in question, said on ESPN Radio this morning that Harrison had to back away from some of his comments about teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall to keep the peace in the Steelers’ locker room.

“We talked about 11 o’clock yesterday morning,†Solotaroff said on Thursday. “Look, James is the guy who’s got to live with Ben for the next three years. . . . So as I told James, ‘Listen, whatever you’ve got to say to mend fences is perfectly fine with me.’â€

Still, Solotaroff stands by what he wrote and even hinted that Harrison said worse things about Roethlisberger than what appears in the article.

“I filled up three notebooks, I don’t know how many hours of digital tape, and I cut so much stuff from this piece,†Solotaroff said. “There is just acres of stuff James said that’s compelling and amusing and riveting. And that wasn’t the only thing he said about Ben.â€

Regarding what may have been the most violent of Harrison’s hits last season, the brutal blow to Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Solotaroff said that if you’re looking for someone to blame, blame Browns quarterback Colt McCoy.

“Massaquoi is coming across the middle and only an idiot kid quarterback is going to lead his receiver — lead his receiver! — into a zone knowing that James Harrison is lurking back there,†Solotaroff said.

Solotaroff is an unabashed fan of Harrison’s and in his radio appearance he ripped NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for cracking down on Harrison’s style of play.

“I was furious at the way James got done by Goodell last year,†Solotaroff said. “I thought making him the poster boy for this abrupt and arbitrary rule change . . . was about the most wrongheaded thing you could do, particularly since Goodell seemed bent on singling James out.â€

SOURCE: PFT

Wow this Solotaroff guy is a complete idiot. You don't lead your receivers since when? That's one of the first things you're taught as a QB most of the time.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Wow this Solotaroff guy is a complete idiot. You don't lead your receivers since when? That's one of the first things you're taught as a QB most of the time.

Well what he means is that McCoy led his receiver into a dangerous position, which is true. Usually quarterbacks have to make good decisions to try and not get their receivers injured. QB's don't want to lead their receivers straight into a bunch of defenders, or get them the ball quick so they can look forward and try to avoid a risky hit.

But you're right, Solotaroff is a complete dumbass. He calls McCoy an idiot kid? I think the word he's looking for is "inexperienced". If he can't control himself in the media, why is he writing in it? You're right, FSU. I saw a few other articles regarding this guy, and he seems like a total Steelers fanboy and major Harrison lover.

Well what he means is that McCoy led his receiver into a dangerous position, which is true. Usually quarterbacks have to make good decisions to try and not get their receivers injured. QB's don't want to lead their receivers straight into a bunch of defenders, or get them the ball quick so they can look forward and try to avoid a risky hit.

Watching the play again, McCoy went to his dumpoff and Harrison was roughly 4 yards away from Massaquoi but Harrison was coming at him and was able to launch himself. I wouldn't say it's McCoy's or Massaquoi's fault, there are plays constantly like that where the defender is going at the legs or just tackling instead of launching like Harrison does.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010