BLUE

Update: Seahawks sign WR Sidney Rice

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Seahawks are "making a play" for free agent WR Sidney Rice.

Seattle has deep pockets and a fairly desperate need for a legit No. 1 receiver. They also have an in with Rice, as new offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell coached him the past few years. From a fantasy perspective, it's hard to envision a scenario worse than catching passes from Tarvaris Jackson in Seattle. Jul 26, 2:32 PM

Source: NFL.com

Edited by BLUE

Dear God, I'll pass. Spend money on the guard Gallery, and defense PLEASE.

Yeah, the Seahawks need more work in their back seven than anything involving receivers. receivers are pretty much the last position you should address when fixing a team. If they have deep enough pockets for a few interior linemen, a top tier corner, and Mebane, then they should get Wild Rice. Otherwise, just not worth it, they have a resurging Mike Williams and big play potential in Golden Tate.

It's official.

Per Rotoworld:

FOX Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Seahawks have agreed to terms with Sidney Rice on a five-year, $41 million contract.

Per Profootballtalk, the deal comes with a whopping $18 million in guarantees. Rice follows coordinator Darrell Bevell and QB Tarvaris Jackson from Minnesota, as Seattle came through on expectations of setting the market for the playmaking receiver. Rice will immediately step in as the Seahawks' No. 1 receiver, though this landing spot fits worst-case scenario status for fantasy production. Rice didn't break out in Minnesota until Brett Favre, who prefers to "lead" his receivers, replaced Jackson, who stares down his receivers. The Vikings are now expected to turn to Braylon Edwards and Malcom Floyd.

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Seattle might have some serious issues next year... they better hope they can hold onto Mebane.

Unless someone overpays for Mebane i think the Seahawks will sign him but if someone does overpay for him so be it he is a good player not a great player.

I hope Red Bryant recovers though he is the one guy who was the difference maker on the line.

Rice and Gallery, not bad for the Hawks soo far. They need to do something after that terrible draft.

Hey now, two starting offensive lineman aint really that bad. If they bust, they bust, but they were drafted by the same guy that pieced together the 2011 superbowl champion Packers.

Good move by the Seahawks. I know they didn't want him going to their division rival, the Rams. Rice and Mike Williams make a nice WR tandem. Only problem they have now is that they need someone to throw them the ball.

It's too bad Rice can't see that he's got more opportunities in Minnesota. Sometimes, it's about the money for players, and quite frankly, I'm disappointed in Sidney Rice.

I think I'm the only person who doesn't see the big deal in Sidney Rice. He's had only one productive season and he is getting paid like a proven star or something.

It's too bad Rice can't see that he's got more opportunities in Minnesota. Sometimes, it's about the money for players, and quite frankly, I'm disappointed in Sidney Rice.

I thought for sure when they got McNabb he'd stay, McNabb didn't have a great year but he got Santana Moss the ball enough for him to have career high in catches.

Or maybe Rice realized that the Vikings office didn't know how to plan for the future and wanted to go somewhere that didn't hire nearly retired QBs hoping for one last Superbowl?

I think I'm the only person who doesn't see the big deal in Sidney Rice. He's had only one productive season and he is getting paid like a proven star or something.

I'll back you up on this one, I completely agree. I want to see him play at the level he did with Bert before I pay him this kind of money, without being injured all year. Keep in mind too that - while I'm not necessarily knocking Rice for this - he was fortunate enough to be playing with Favre when he was having his best season.

Or maybe Rice realized that the Vikings office didn't know how to plan for the future and wanted to go somewhere that didn't hire nearly retired QBs hoping for one last Superbowl?

I thought it was because this year they didn't want to start a rookie QB who hasn't had any OTA's or mini camp all summer long?

Alot of people were not impressed with the Hawks draft this year compared to the year before. All I know is Coach Carroll knows what he is doing. Yes there were some BIG names in the draft he passed on. If you take a 2nd listen to what he said it will make sense. The names he passed on were very good they just didnt fit into the game plan that he was going with. It could of been the players attitude or there work ethic but either way he felt they would not be a good fit with the team he is trying to build from the ground up. I cant recall the kids name that Coach Carroll past on during his 1st NFL draft with the Hawks. But he past on his own CB that he coached at USC. And that kids response and general attitude made it completely obvious why Coach Carroll passed on him....