Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Update: Bears, Forte agree to four-year deal

Per Rotoworld.com:

Matt Forte and the Bears are far apart on a potential contract extension, according to CSN Chicago.

The Bears are making an effort to get a deal done, but the "two sides are thinking dramatically different numbers," according to CSN. "We want to stay focused on the season and we also want to do the right thing by Matt," GM Jerry Angelo said. Forte is set to earn just $555,000 this season, the final year of his rookie deal. Aug 19, 8:24 AM

Source: CSN Chicago

Edited by BLUE

come on forte is our do it all back just pay him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by BayAreaBomber
HOLY EYESORE

I am unsure of the kind of money Forte is looking for here, so it is hard to pick sides... But I generally have to side with the player here. He has EASILY outplayed his current contract, and deserves a nominal raise and extension. Without Forte, the Bears offense is one of the most pathetic in the league. They either need to retain him quickly, or begin working out a competent offense.

i would have expected him to be signed by now for crying out loud he is makind 550 grand this year that's nothin :facepalm::shrug:

Per Rotoworld.com:

Bears GM Jerry Angelo announced Monday night that the team has shut down contract extension talks with Matt Forte.

Forte will play out his contract year. It's a risky proposition for the 25-year-old back, but he was looking for more than the $15 million guarantee offered. It's a win-win situation for the Bears. They don't have to commit major money to an injury-prone position right now, and can still use the same measuring stick (probably DeAngelo Williams' contract) after the season. Forte's fantasy owners should also be pleased; Motivation won't be a problem. Sep 5 - 11:20 PM

Source: Zach Zaidman on Twitter

According to ESPN Chicago, the door is not yet closed on a Matt Forte contract extension.

GM Jerry Angelo doesn't want to discuss the situation with the media, but Forte's camp plans to continue contract talks into the season. Forte insists he will continue to exhibit a professional attitude and holds nothing against Angelo.

Source: ESPN Chicago

Forte is awesome.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Free agent Matt Forte hinted Wednesday that he'd at least consider holding out of 2012 training camp if the Bears franchise tagged him and did not make progress toward a long-term extension.

"A lot of teams franchise guys so that they can get a deal done or negotiate a deal," Forte explained. "It just depends on what the motive of that is. ... I wouldn't say holdout, but people probably wouldn't know where I was." Forte was half-joking, saying there's a "pretty good chance" he'll be tagged. The Bears do not even have a GM right now, so no contract progress is being made. Jan 19 - 10:29 AM

Source: ESPN Chicago

The Bears announced Thursday that Matt Forte (knee) has been cleared to play in the Pro Bowl after passing a physical.

Forte told PFT Live's Mike Florio on Thursday that the MCL sprain did not require surgery, the rehab is completed, and his right knee feels "really good." Forte confirmed that there have been no contract discussions since the end of the season, as the Bears are still interviewing for their next GM. Jan 19 - 2:16 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Edited by BLUE

I guess it all depends on what the next GM decides to do. I think he's gonna be franchised, but they will get a deal in place. Before the end of next year though.

Chicago would be stupid not to sign this guy long term.

Yeah they'll definitely franchise him to avoid letting him hit free agency, but I think the Bears want Forte locked up long-term just as much as Forte does. They should, anyway. As DMac said, it'll depend on how their eventually new GM decides to go about it.

Per Rotoworld.com:

Bears assigned the franchise tag to RB Matt Forte.

The Forte tag caps off a day chock full of them. Players franchised so far: WR DeSean Jackson, DE Calais Campbell, RBs Forte and Ray Rice, DBs Brent Grimes, Dashon Goldson, and Tyvon Branch, TE Fred Davis, and Ks Mike Nugent and Phil Dawson. Long-term contract talks between the Bears and Forte seemingly never got serious after Chicago hired new GM Phil Emery on January 28. Don't look for the Bears to prioritize locking up Forte anytime soon. Mar 2 - 8:26 PM

I can sort of see why Chicago might be hesitant to give him anything more than 5 years though given his injury history. Years is my guess as to what's holding this deal up.

He doesn't have much of an injury history compared to most runningbacks. Last years was the first injury of anything major he's had. Dude is one of the top players in total yards over the past 4 years. And might I add, he's damn lucky he was in game shape so soon after that injury and it's not affecting his offseason.

Franchise player Matt Forte is expected to skip the beginning of the Bears' offseason program next Monday.

That's because attending would require signing his $7.7 million franchise tender. Next week's workouts are voluntary, but Forte appears to have no intention of inking his tender before the July 16 deadline to sign franchise players to long-term contracts. That means he likely won't be in attendance for the Bears' mandatory minicamp, which is expected to take place in early June. There's been no indication the sides are close to a deal.

Source: Chicago Tribune

after not getting the extension he wanted last year I wouldn't be surprised at all to see an extended holdout

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Chicago Tribune suggests Jay Cutler could get a new long-term contract before the Bears give one to unsigned franchise player Matt Forte.

That, of course, wouldn't go over very well with Forte. It's also more confirmation that the Bears have no intention of paying Forte's current asking price. Cutler has two years left on his contract. Forte doesn't have a contract at all, and Bears rookie GM Phil Emery is playing hardball in negotiations. May 24 - 11:29 AM

What did Matt Forte do to the Bears? Did he dump his seed in the bellies of the brasses daughters or what?

I would not be surprised at all if Forte is asking for a ridiculous number.

Per Rotoworld.com:

The Chicago Tribune reports the Bears have "concerns" about unsigned franchise player Matt Forte's knees.

This goes a long way toward explaining why the Bears are playing hardball with their 26-year-old lead back. Forte had never missed a game with injury before spraining his right MCL in Week 13 last season, but the Bears reportedly "worry over how long (his) knees will hold up." Forte carried the ball 833 times in college, and has 1,237 career touches through four NFL seasons. Forte tore his left PCL in college, and sprained it in 2009. The Tribune believes the Bears want to "protect themselves from arthritis setting in." It very well could mean Forte won't be able to do better than his $7.7 million franchise tender this offseason. May 26 - 5:47 PM

I feel bad for both sides. Forte has definetely earned increased pay, and the Bears are really nothing without Forte, but then again as soon as they become the hot commodity, they go down. It probably will hurt them more by not paying him than it will to just pay him, but of course it all depends on the amount and the length. He's certainly one of the best and most complete offensive players you could find. Even if he only lasts a couple more seasons, he is probably worth overpaying. :shrug:

Unsigned franchise player Matt Forte expressed optimism Friday with the progress of contract talks with the Bears.

"Last year we were worlds apart, but it’s gotten better," said Forte, who appeared Friday at the Madden 2013 Pigskin Pro-Am in Chicago. Further details aren't known, but it's the first sign of optimism on Forte's part for quite sometime. Forte skipped all of the Bears' spring practices while hoping for a new deal. As of late May, Forte was "believed" to be seeking $8.5 million annually.

Source: Chicago Sun-Times