Sign in to follow this  
FSUViking

Mike Lombardi rates the best at each position

lol@ Barrett Ruud being a red chip player. Anyone who would put him in the same category as Ray Lewis or Urlacher is out of their mind, even with their older age they are superior to what Ruud can do.

I'm also surprised to see Aqib as the 4th Blue Chipper, not that I'd disagree. He usually doesn't get that much attention for his skills though.

• Upvote 2

LOL at leaving Tony Romo off. I don't care if he explained his reasoning. It still doesn't matter. He's better than Vick, Ryan, and Eli. The Schaub vs Romo thing is up in the air.

• Downvote 1

lol@ Barrett Ruud being a red chip player. Anyone who would put him in the same category as Ray Lewis or Urlacher is out of their mind, even with their older age they are superior to what Ruud can do.

I second this.

This thread should be pretty epic by the time it gets to page three.

Mostly good but I have to disagree with not having Calvin Johnson as a blue chip receiver and not having Nick Collins as a blue chip safety. Both are easily top 3 at their respective position.

Lombardi seems to like Curtis Martin type Backs, loads of carries and no fumbles, but not necessarily a high YPC. I think his runningbacks list is horrible, because Ray Rice and Michael Turner can't be Curtis Martin consistently. His receivers list is similar to ours, with Calvin Johnson being slightly lower, and Wes Welker and Steve Smith (Panthers) just making the red chip list. Dwayne Bowe was a guy who made our top ten aggregate list, but I can understand not including him.

I've no qualms with his Tight End list other than including Finley. His Tackles list sucks, all ten of them are Left Tackles and he doesn't even include Andrew Whitworth of the Bengals, while Donald Penn is a Blue chip player? Michael Roos isn't as good as David Stewart, is Chad Clifton even in the league anymore?

His Guards list isn't bad, I'd switch Steve Hutchinson and Carl Nicks, and omit Davin Joseph for Ben Grubbs. Why is Max Unger on his centers list, and why is Mike Pouncey a Blue chip? Sure he was the Steelers best Center, but he wasn't a reliable take charge player. Matt Birk would replace Pouncey, I'd remove Cook, and Unger from the list, maybe Pouncey as well. Replace them with Dan Koppen, Scott Wells, and possibly Olin Kreutz.

I'll bitch about the defense later.

I actually agree Donald Penn shouldn't be that high. Donald Penn is usually a very underrated LT, but I don't know how he could put him as a Blue chipper, a category that's supposed to represent dominance after seeing his performance against the Patriots. I know the entire O-line had issues and it was a preseason game, but he should have been able to hold his own a lot better if he was a true blue chipper.

Ok onto to defense. His Defensive ends list isn't bad, overrates Jared Allen too much, and only has one 3-4 defensive end, but that's to be expected. Will Smith is probably not a red chip player, and I'd replace him with somebody else, maybe Charles Johnson, Elvis Dumervil, Osi, or maybe a 3-4 guy like Mike Devito. His defensive tackles list bugs me because Suh and Raji are too high for one good year, while Brandon Mebane and Jason Jones are completely ignored. Darnell Dockett doesn't play 4-3 DT anymore so he shouldn't be on the list. Names to consider would be Aubrayo Franklin, Sione Pouha, and maybe Cullen Jenkins.

Even if Ruud is tenth on his inside backers list, I don't think he belongs. No Karlos Dansby is the biggest omission, Curtis Lofton isn't a blue chip linebacker, London Fletcher probably deserves to be on this list as well. His Outside Linebackers list has 9 3-4 guys, that's really annoying but it's the nature of the position. I'd replace Shaun Phillips with Daryl Smith, because sacks aren't everything. Defeats are.

Devin McCourty isn't a blue chip corner after one year, and if you're gonna include him, you need to include Joe Haden as well. They played almost equally well. Also Champ Bailey is still a top 15 corner, what the fuck are you smoking... fucking Raiders reject.

Antrel Rolle is not a top 5 safety, he's a bottom 5 safety who can't cover worth shit. Eric Weddle, OJ Atogwe and Nick Collins should bump the 3rd 4th and 5th Blue chips out of their spots, and I'd make room for Quintin Mikell on this list. Don't care to argue head coaches, as long as BB is number one, it's alright.

• Upvote 1

Michael Roos isn't as good as David Stewart

While you know I would usually agree with you 100% on that subject, if he's basing it off of what he thinks they'll do this year, Roos should be high up..Bruce Matthews has done WONDERS for this offensive line. Absolute wonders.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

I thought it was funny that he had 6 Blue Chip QBs, when his definition of Blue Chip was Top 5 player.

lolMichaelLombardi

I love Talib, but he is not a top 5 CB, maybe not even top 10. And Devin McCourty in the top 5 too? LMAO!

Penn should not be top 5 and I don't think Joseph should be top 10. If they both were that good, our o-line would be a hell of a lot better than it is.

Ruud being on this list is probably the funniest thing about it. No way is he top 10.

I don't think Antrell Rolle is a top 5 safety.