Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

NFL Mandates All Home Teams To Display Live Fantasy Stats

A dream come true for fantasy football players attending live NFL games? Or a sell-out move that could tick off sports purists?

Starting with tonight's Green Bay Packers-New Orleans Saints season opener, the NFL is directing all 32 clubs to display real-time fantasy football stats at all home games for the new 2011 season, says league spokesman Brian McCarthy.

Previously, it was up to individual clubs to decide if they wanted to show player stats from outside games rather than focusing on their own. Not any more.

The NFL is reaching out to millions of fantasy players who feel somewhat cut off while attending live games. Many fantasy players already use mobile devices to keep in touch with how their players and teams are doing.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/09/nfl-fantasy-football-stadiums-green-bay-packers-new-orleans-saints/1

I'm not really a fan of this move, fantasy fans prefer to be watching games at their tv's anyway.

Kind of dumb. Anyone who is that concerned about their fantasy team while watching their actual team play is being a bit ridiculous. If someone wants to know what the scores are during breaks, they can use their phones.

Really don't see this as an issue either way, you can give any number of reasons for it on either end but its not like this hurts anybody. Those who want to have updates on their fantasy players during games will get it and those who couldn't care less... well they wont care.

It's not like we're talking about broadcasting the actual game in 3D to the spectators AT the game... oh wait

Edited by Socal

I don't mind it. Last year I went to the Pats vs Fins game and while they were on break or something I noticed they did have fantasy stats in the scoreboard and thought it was cool. Not that I was dying to see my players stats but I don't mind it.

I wonder if this will apply all season because I know that towards the end of the year coaches will as the stadium to not show results from certain games if they have a bearing on the home team's playoff chances, this could negate that option

• Upvote 1

I wonder if this will apply all season because I know that towards the end of the year coaches will as the stadium to not show results from certain games if they have a bearing on the home team's playoff chances, this could negate that option

Probably the best reason for concern. The psychological aspect is certainly there. Players need to be focused on their own game, and it's easier said than done to just tell them to keep their eyes down on the field and assume they will do that. Perhaps an addendum that allows coaches to have certain game stats removed from scoreboards for playoff weighted weeks? Wouldn't be that hard.

I don't have a problem with it.

The negative I can think of is that players are going to care even more about stats. Running backs can put a stat on the number of carries that the coach gave them, and WR's can point to the stats and tell QB's to throw them the ball more. If you're telling me this won't happen, you haven't been following the NFL very long. The majority of players only care about winning, but there are undoubtedly players, especially on losing teams, that can use this to start a rampage or fight within his own team on the sideline.

The positive is that right-minded players can see if they're having a good game, or need to step up. Coaches can also quickly assess who's playing the best by the numbers. Defensive players and coaches can realize and assess a player that has been slowly been chipping away at them that they might have overlooked.

It is super dumb though for any fan to need to follow fantasy stats that closely. You lock your players in, check up if you're bored or curious, but really just look at the end of the night and see how it added up. It is convenient though if they have the stats up between quarters or during halftime and you don't want to leave your seat. There's 40 seconds between each play, it can't hurt to get a little statistical input to help the time pass.

I think the reason the league mandated it wasn't really to help that desperate fan that NEEDS to check up on his stats. I think it was meant to promote the popularity of fantasy football, which is offered on the league's website, NFL.com. As popular as fantasy is in circles like TGP... the vast majority of the public, and casual NFL fans, don't care for it.

The positive is that right-minded players can see if they're having a good game, or need to step up. Coaches can also quickly assess who's playing the best by the numbers. Defensive players and coaches can realize and assess a player that has been slowly been chipping away at them that they might have overlooked.

do you really think coaches haven't had this information available to them in the past?

I think the reason the league mandated it wasn't really to help that desperate fan that NEEDS to check up on his stats. I think it was meant to promote the popularity of fantasy football, which is offered on the league's website, NFL.com. As popular as fantasy is in circles like TGP... the vast majority of the public, and casual NFL fans, don't care for it.

I think it's part of an attempt to enhance the stadium experience, one of the reasons theorized for a lack of attendance at NFL games has been the enhancement of the at-home experience, and part of the at-home experience that hasn't always been available in-stadium has been the ability to follow your fantasy team. Now, if you ask me, I don't think the people who are that concerned with their fantasy teams care enough about the real team to go to the stadium anyway, but I could be completely off base on that.

I think it's part of an attempt to enhance the stadium experience, one of the reasons theorized for a lack of attendance at NFL games has been the enhancement of the at-home experience, and part of the at-home experience that hasn't always been available in-stadium has been the ability to follow your fantasy team. Now, if you ask me, I don't think the people who are that concerned with their fantasy teams care enough about the real team to go to the stadium anyway, but I could be completely off base on that.

This.

But what they need to do is offer something that we can not get at home. When I go to a game, I want to experience the atmosphere of being there. If I feel like I'm home, I might as well be. I guess it's a cool idea but probably ends up only benefiting those who throw the money to be at the games already.

If they really wanted to fix the attendance, they should alter the ticket prices.