Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Week 6 | Eagles vs Redskins

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: FedEx Field

The top and bottom teams in the NFC East from last season have switched places in a stunning reversal of fortunes.

It's probably a bigger surprise that the overhyped Philadelphia Eagles are in last place compared to the Washington Redskins being in first.

The Eagles will be trying to avoid their first five-game slide in the lengthy tenure of embattled coach Andy Reid on Sunday when they visit the Redskins.

Philadelphia (1-4) last dropped five straight in 1998 under Ray Rhodes, who was replaced by Reid after that season. Reid is currently the NFL's longest-serving coach, having led the Eagles to five NFC title games and one Super Bowl appearance.

He's failed to bring the franchise its first Super Bowl title, however, and has come under fire for this poor start. The defending NFC East champion Eagles were dubbed the "Dream Team" by backup quarterback Vince Young after an offseason full of major acquisitions including former Pro Bowlers Nnamdi Asomugha, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Jason Babin.

Reid is getting the brunt of the blame, particularly for his decision to promote former offensive line coach Juan Castillo to defensive coordinator.

"The thing that myself, our coaches, and the players, we're going to work our tail off to get it right," Reid said. "That's what we're going to do. We're not backing up a leg, man. That's our approach."

The mood is different for Washington (3-1), which has shown marked improvement after a 6-10 campaign in 2010 in coach Mike Shanahan's first season. The Redskins have allowed the third-fewest points per game at 15.8, with a pass rush that has produced an NFL-best 3.8 sacks per game led by Pro Bowl linebacker Brian Orakpo's total of 3.5.

"I think you're always more relaxed in your second year," Shanahan said. "I think, first year, you have so many things going on - with evaluating personnel, and you're evaluating coaches, you're evaluating your support staff, and you're getting ready for a football season."

The Redskins had an enjoyable bye last weekend as they watched the Giants fall out of first place with a loss to Seattle while the Eagles fell 31-24 at Buffalo.

Michael Vick was intercepted a career-high four times against the Bills, and Philadelphia has 15 turnovers this season - three more than any other team.

"They're moving the heck out of the football," Shanahan said about the Eagles. "They've got some great weapons. They're scoring some points. All four of those games they've lost with turnovers."

Philadelphia's six lost fumbles match Pittsburgh for the most in the league. Vick's seven interceptions - one more than he had in 12 games last season - are tied for the NFL's highest total.

"I think guys are just trying so hard to make a play," Vick said. "We know what we're capable of, we know what we can do."

Vick will be returning to the site of likely the best game of his career in last year's 59-28 rout. He threw an 88-yard touchdown pass to DeSean Jackson on the Eagles' first play from scrimmage and became the first player in NFL history to amass at least 300 yards passing, 50 yards rushing, four passing TDs and two rushing TDs in one contest.

The Eagles led 35-0 after the first play of the second quarter when Vick hit Jeremy Maclin for a 48-yard score. They set franchise records for points in a half (45) and total yards (592) in the club's second-highest scoring effort.

"I think the people that were here last year understand that we were embarrassed pretty good," Shanahan said. "They took it to us, both offensively, defensively, special teams and coaching."

Vick will be chased by Orakpo, who has just one-half sack in 14 career games against NFC East foes. He has 22 1/2 sacks in his other 21 games.

Eagles defensive end Trent Cole and offensive tackle Jason Peters, meanwhile, appear likely to each miss a second straight game with hamstring injuries.

New Redskins punter Sav Rocca spent the previous four seasons with the Eagles, and is well aware of the danger of punting to Jackson.

"My mind-set going into any game is that I'm against the returner, whether it's DeSean or not," Rocca said. "You're just trying to take them out of the game, and him just being so dangerous you just want to try and eliminate any returns."

The Eagles have never faced Rex Grossman, who is ranked 26th with a 78.7 passer rating.

Source: CBSSports.com

We still suck ass, but something tells me this is the week the finally get our shit together and win our second game.

• Upvote 1

Can the Iggles get a win this week? I think they might, barring the same dumb mistakes.

:Eagles: 31

:Redskins: 21

The Eagles have the ability to win this game. I think they have more talent on their roster than the Redskins overall, but the Eagles are a very flawed team who make critical mistakes at the worst times and right now you have to say with how undisciplined they are and how poorly they've played that they're one of the worst coordinated and coached teams in the NFL. I think this is partially attributed to egos and immaturity in the lockerroom and the worst job by an Eagles coaching staff since Rich Kotite. Can the Eagles turn it around? Yes, will they? They have show absolutely no sign that they will so therefor I have no reason to believe that they'll win other than the simple fact that I'm a hopeful fan. Right now I say the Eagles lose 24-13 in an ugly sloppy game. The Redskins will control the ball and the clock and the Eagles will make every costly mistake to cost them a w.

:Eagles: 31

:Redskins: 21

The Eagles will win their second win of the season in this match.

If the Eagles don't win here, they are done. And I think they know it, and that the players-only conference may have helped some too.

:Eagles: 24

:Redskins: 16

When will the Eagles win? I'll say not this week. Face it, teams have found out Vick's game, Andy Reid wouldn't run the ball with the biggest playmaker at the position even if there was a gun pointed to his head, and the Eagles defense couldn't stop a little old lady. Not to mention what will happen when Hightower, Helu and or Torain start carving them up like a christmas turkey. Rexy doesn't even need to be good, just good enough, and ala a Brian Griese or Jake Plummer he can take this team to a few extra victories.

:Redskins: 27

:Eagles: 14

Eagles LT King Dunlap (back) will not play in Sunday's game against the Redskins.

Dunlap was expected to take the place of Jason Peters (hamstring) on the left side. Now the Eagles are down to Winston Justice, who was inactive for the first four games of the season after undergoing offseason knee surgery. He'll start today at right tackle, with ex-guard Todd Herremans kicking over to left tackle. The Redskins figure to generate plenty of pressure on Michael Vick via outside linebackers Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan.

Other Eagles inactives: G Julian Vandervelde, DE Trent Cole, LB Keenan Clayton, CB Curtis Marsh and S Jarrad Page.

Source: Reuben Frank on Twitter

Redskins declared WR Anthony Armstrong (hamstring) inactive for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Armstrong hasn't played since Week 3. That leaves Terrence Austin and Donte' Stallworth as candidates for the situational deep threat role. Even with Armstrong unable to go, rookie WR Leonard Hankerson continues to be a healthy scratch.

Other Redskins inactives: FB/TE Mike Sellers, G Willie Smith, DL Darrion Scott, LB Markus White and CB Phillip Buchanon.

17-0 Eagles. Now this is more like it. The Redskins were doing a good job of limiting Shady to small chunks of yards at a time, but now he's starting to break free a bit. On the other side of the ball, Washington's offense can't do anything. Just goes to show how good our defense can be if we stop the run.

Still a lot of football left, though.

The Good: We won!

The Bad: Vick loves snapping the ball, even when the defense changes in front of him 2 seconds before that and nobody adjusts offensively. Better get his film game on over the bye week. Kelce too. Kelce better be locked in the Novacare complex for the next 2 weeks studying film if he really wants to be a winner against these complex defenses and great teams. And he needs to get to the line faster. Too many times he just kind of swags over, and he only has 10 seconds to snap the ball. Little things that make a huge difference.

The Ugly: Kurt Coleman's haircut. And how bad the coaching staff looks for not starting Nate Allen earlier.

The Eagles offense was absoulutely horrendous in the second half. This team is going absolutely nowhere if they can't score on anyone in the second half. I'm not sure if it's Vick, if it's the team or the coaching staff. Gotta be a mix of all three, but god damn we need to get our shit together and put teams away in the second half

Fuck you Philadelphia. I finally decide to pick against you, and when I do, you fucking pull this magic. Go back to failing, please.

• Upvote 1