Bay

Was Schwartz Justified in Being Upset With Harbaugh?

Harbaugh was a little overzealous in his midfield "handshake" etc., but Schwartz handled it like a bitch. I mean running after him down the field pushing into him as they were towards the locker room? What a douche...very classy.

Both were wrong to a degree...but if you asked me who was more out of line I would most definitely say Schwartz. Just my opinion. :yep:

Quite frankly, I think Schwartz knows that if these two teams play in a game that actually means something, that his team is going to kick San Francisco's ass. This is the classic early season win for the up-and-coming surprise team. These two teams play again, Alex Smith implodes and Megatron goes apeshit. It's something like 33-13. Knowing that, Schwartz should have walked away. We all know that San Fran is definitely better than in the past, but we also know that they're not going anywhere past the first round.

• Downvote 1

Nothing wrong with a coach celebrating a win.. whether it's before, during, or after the coach's handshake. The win is in the books and wins are what get you to the playoffs. Not handshakes. And if one coach doesn't like the handshake received, well.. get over it. You're a man and supposed to be a role model, not a whiny little girl over either a loss, a quick handshake, or both.

• Upvote 1

Your not getting it. lol.

Jim Shwartz and Harbough are HEAD COACHES in the NFL. in the NFL when a game is over, win or lose, the two HEAD COACHES like PROFESSIONALS come together shake hands like MEN and say "GOOD GAME"... It's protocol, it's called SPORTSMANSHIP and it shows CLASS.

When two MEN shake hands, you put your hand out and as your shaking each others hands you look each other in the eye. Even when Bill Belichick coached against Mangini, no matter the tension, that sense of PROFESSIONALISM and SPORTSMANSHIP is always present. It's a HAND SHAKE.

Haurghbugh runs in jumping up and down, SLAPS Shwartz' hand as he is putting his hand out for a handshake, and then proceeds to SMACK him in the back and continues jumping up and down. There is no sportsmanship, and no class in that. NONE.

And regardless of how big the win is, even if it's the SUPER BOWL, you don't act like that if your a HEAD COACH in the NFL, a league of PROFESSIONALS. Stop treating it like it's no big deal because it is a big deal. No matter what happened during the game, once you reach that midfield to shake hands you HAVE to hold yourself to a professional standard.

Obviously Jim Shwartz acted like a bigger child by retaliating the way he did, and showed that he's got a flaring temper and little class himself...

Bottom line is that NEITHER coaches handled the situation well, and there is no sense in seriously trying to justify one or the other saying they did no wrong.

I understand where you're coming from, but the emotion of the game can get to people. The 49ers had just won a big game against the undefeated Lions, which helps to prove that the 49ers ARE for real and legitimate contenders in the NFC this year. This is Harbaugh's FIRST season with the 49ers, he's got them off to a good start, and a coach showing excitement and emotion gives the players something to be proud of and to get hyped off of.

Harbaugh's handshake wasn't the "protocol", but it's like baseball--there are some rules that are not set in stone or in writing. Harbaugh didn't follow the unwritten rule, and while he should have, there's no reason that he should get chased and have people attempt to assault him. Schwartz followed a questionable action by making a classless, childish move by chasing Harbaugh down, causing players to pour into a mass at the end of the field, which led to arguments and physical confrontations between them as well. Schwartz was also "caught up in the moment", and the "emotions got to him" as well, but there's a difference--Harbaugh's actions were of excitement and had no negative intent while Schwartz's were of anger and had bad intentions. I put more of the blame on Schwartz. There's no reason to chase down an individual because they gave you a high-five handshake and a pat on the back instead of a firm handshake where the coach gives an empty "Good game."

Why the fuck is this such a big deal? Typing up huge ass posts and making some huge deal because there was a scuffle between coaches? Is that REALLY that big of a deal? This is football. We see people get hit every single play, and see fights quite often, so when 2 coaches get in to a bit of a shouting match, it's some horrible event that everyone feels the need to talk about? This is football. What happened is nothing new. As a matter of fact, it was extremely minor in comparison to what you see a lot of players do.

Worse than a bunch of high school girls. "LIKE OMG, I CAN'T BELIEVE HE KISSED HER".

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Yeah I honestly didn't see too much wrong on Harbaugh's part. I mean, I would be a little bit shocked if he handled me like that, but I would just shrug it off because I would know that he is just excited after winning a close game. I respect coaches who are respectful to the other coach regardless of the outcome, but, like I said, if I were Schwartz, I would have left it alone.

So no, Schwartz was not justified and acted like an asshole for reasons that most likely were rooted in his team's loss.

What pisses me off about this is what happened after the game is the main focus and the 49ers winning a HUGE game on the road is the 2nd story here.

:sigh:

• Upvote 1

What pisses me off about this is what happened after the game is the main focus and the 49ers winning a HUGE game on the road is the 2nd story here.

:sigh:

csb1.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think Harbaugh should have been a little classier during the handshake, but Schwartz amplified an already tense moment by then reacting equally childish. If Schwartz doesn't chase him halfway down the field one of 2 things happens: 1)Absolutely nothing, because it's forgotten before the players leave the field or 2)The negative criticism is directed completely at Harbaugh for looking kind of classless, while Schwartz is applauded for handling the awkward moment like a champ. Either way, it's over, and it's time to focus more on SF's hard fought victory in a hostile environment.

Edited by Phins4life

For those of you that don't watch college football, this was your introduction to Jim Harbaugh as a head coach. He was like that at USD and Stanford, and I wouldn't expect him to be any different in the NFL. I don't even think it's an act. The guy seriously has a screw loose. He knows how to coach, he just doesn't know how to socialize. The Niners aren't paying him to socialize.

There both at fault Harbaughs slap on the back and Schwartz should have said something but not chased after him like he did.