Bay

Was Schwartz Justified in Being Upset With Harbaugh?

“I was really revved up. That was on me a little, too hard a handshake there.” Harbaugh then said he got a jostled by Schwartz after Schwartz chased him 40 yards down the field.

“I do get emotional, I do get fired up. A lot. I not going to apologize for that. If that offends you or anybody else, so be it.”

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/was-schwartz-justified-in-being-upset-with-harbaugh/

I do think Harbaugh got way too excited but this is the way he is. He's a passionate guy and loves winning. Why else be a coach if you're not really into it?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think there's fault on both sides here. Harbaugh was probably a little too excited and his "handshake" with Schwartz looked more like an unprofessional high five. But at the same time, Schwartz was having a bit of a mad-n-sad moment. No need for him to chase Harbaugh down and start a pissing contest.

• Upvote 2

Tridentdawgp... : (16 October 2011 - 05:36 PM) I really don't like Jim Schwartz

Tridentdawgp... : (16 October 2011 - 05:37 PM) Harbaugh's team just pulled off a big win, let him enjoy it

Tridentdawgp... : (16 October 2011 - 05:37 PM) Schwartz is quite the cunt muffin

• Upvote 2

I agree with Stevo...

Harbaugh is a rookie headcoach on a team with no expectations and being led by a 1st round "bust" of a QB. I understand his excitement, and I think his handshake was done subconsciously. Jim Schwartz running down the field after him was just stupid.

I think he was justified in being upset, because Harbaugh was rude, but he went about it like a hot-headed child.

I saw the video, Harbaugh was a total asshole by being very disrespectful after the game. Show some class please and learn how to shake a man's hand properly. I think Jim Schwartz's response was justified, because for me personally, I wouldn't take that bullshit any day of the week!

:facepalm: Harbaugh

I think he was justified in being upset, because Harbaugh was rude, but he went about it like a hot-headed child.

Oh ya.. I understand why he was mad, and rightfully so. But like you said.. How he handled it... he is no better than Harbaugh in this scenario.

He was justified to be mad... But he should not of reacted, you don't counter classlessness with classlessness....

^ That

It gets emotional out there on the field man. It was a tight game the whole time when you come out on the wrong end of a game like that sometimes things...idk happen. Having said that as a coach you have to lead by example and have a little more class than that. I'm not going to say Schwartz is an asshole because of one incident but he was wrong in this case.

On the other end I think Harbaugh should have acted more professionally but he was less wrong than Schwartz imo.

I don't see the reason to be so pissed cause Harbaugh slapped on the back kinda hard. Schwartz said something about obscenities being used, I'll have to hear more about that before I could fault Harbaugh at all. It's common practice to do what Harbaugh did but he was pumped up and did it harder than most do. Schwartz should have just walked away, not run back and talk to Harbaugh.

Edited by Packers Dynasty 2010

Hell no, from what we've seen. Especially from Schwartz. He gets really excited as well, saw him after pretty much every game. It was just a handshake.

Plus in the post-game conferences, Harbaugh was classy, and Schwartz sounded like a whiny loser, to be honest. Never thought I'd see the day when we were apologizing for shaking someone's hand too hard.

my thoughts exactly

to me it looked like Harbaugh was kinda brushing off the handshake and it seemed somewhat disrespectful to me, but I'm not sure it was really bad enough to merit any response, much less chasing the guy down the field

I don't see the reason to be so pissed cause Harbaugh slapped on the back kinda hard. Schwartz said something about obscenities being used, I'll have

Hell no, from what we've seen. Especially from Schwartz. He gets really excited as well, saw him after pretty much every game. It was just a handshake.

Plus in the post-game conferences, Harbaugh was classy, and Schwartz sounded like a whiny loser, to be honest. Never thought I'd see the day when we were apologizing for shaking someone's hand too hard.

Shwartz gets pumped up after games all the time, he does his little fist pump thing after games. But guess what?

When the coaches come together at the end to shake hands, he's always composed and he always shakes hands. 99% of the time, no matter how excited both coaches are they always shake hands composed at the end of games, it's called sportsmanship. When we ran up the score on KC, and there was all that bad blood b/w the two teams because of all the BS draft picks we lost because of a dumb tempering charge, Shwartz was still composed when they shook hands.

There's a HUGE difference b/w what Shwartz has done, and what happened there.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

Shwartz gets pumped up after games all the time, he does his little fist pump thing after games. But guess what?

When the coaches come together at the end to shake hands, he's always composed and he always shakes hands. 99% of the time, no matter how excited both coaches are they always shake hands composed at the end of games, it's called sportsmanship. When we ran up the score on KC, and there was all that bad blood b/w the two teams because of all the BS draft picks we lost because of a dumb tempering charge, Shwartz was still composed when they shook hands.

There's a HUGE difference b/w what Shwartz has done, and what happened there.

He grabbed his hand and slapped him on the back.

There is absolutely NOTHING Harbaugh did wrong. He got a little excited. So what?

Schwartz chases down the opposing coach and runs into him, he looked like a little kid who was trying to make a point by getting in someone's face. Harbaugh acted far more like a coach than Schwartz with that whole scenario. He's a first-year coach and he just took out one of two remaining unbeatens in THEIR house. So he was excited. He did nothing that called for a reaction like Schwartz's.

Edited by Thanatos19

It wasn't the fact that Harbaugh was overly happy or excited. It was the fact that he slammed his hand onto Schwartz's back. Even Schwartz said that. I don't have a problem with how Schwartz reacted at all, I thought it was well deserved.

It wasn't the fact that Harbaugh was overly happy or excited. It was the fact that he slammed his hand onto Schwartz's back. Even Schwartz said that. I don't have a problem with how Schwartz reacted at all, I thought it was well deserved.

You really think Schwartz was justified in running down after Harbaugh and running into him, trying to get into his face?

The guy was a little exuberant, oh well. It's football. People slap each other on the back all the time.

Your not getting it. lol.

Jim Shwartz and Harbough are HEAD COACHES in the NFL. in the NFL when a game is over, win or lose, the two HEAD COACHES like PROFESSIONALS come together shake hands like MEN and say "GOOD GAME"... It's protocol, it's called SPORTSMANSHIP and it shows CLASS.

When two MEN shake hands, you put your hand out and as your shaking each others hands you look each other in the eye. Even when Bill Belichick coached against Mangini, no matter the tension, that sense of PROFESSIONALISM and SPORTSMANSHIP is always present. It's a HAND SHAKE.

Haurghbugh runs in jumping up and down, SLAPS Shwartz' hand as he is putting his hand out for a handshake, and then proceeds to SMACK him in the back and continues jumping up and down. There is no sportsmanship, and no class in that. NONE.

And regardless of how big the win is, even if it's the SUPER BOWL, you don't act like that if your a HEAD COACH in the NFL, a league of PROFESSIONALS. Stop treating it like it's no big deal because it is a big deal. No matter what happened during the game, once you reach that midfield to shake hands you HAVE to hold yourself to a professional standard.

Obviously Jim Shwartz acted like a bigger child by retaliating the way he did, and showed that he's got a flaring temper and little class himself...

Bottom line is that NEITHER coaches handled the situation well, and there is no sense in seriously trying to justify one or the other saying they did no wrong.

It's not really that big of a deal, bro.

A head coach of a sports team got too excited and slapped another coach too hard on the back.

First world problems. It's serious shit, guys.

^^^ This.

Harbaugh was gee'd up and shook Schwartz's hand like he was his mate.

No reason to get mad over it. Unless Harbaugh said something to provoke him, then I would understand, but I doubt that happened.

• Upvote 1

Schwartz seems like a hot head..

Harbaugh loves giving opposing coaches a taste of their own medicine, like when he ran up the score on Pete Carroll and USC in 2009. lol

Edited by Mathias
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey Jim...you mad? :troll:

15b33477-49d9-461a-bfc2-04977017bf91.jpg

Edited by RANGA

Hey Jim...you mad? :troll:

You realize this could equally apply to Jim Harbaugh, lol. Since they're both named Jim. :p