Sign in to follow this  
BucD

REPORT: Raiders Acquire QB Carson Palmer From Bengals

Per PFT:

Report: Bengals close to shipping Palmer to Raiders

Posted by Mike Florio on October 18, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT

It’s trade deadline day, and it’s time to wake up.

The Raiders want Carson Palmer, and the Raiders just might get Carson Palmer.

Jay Glazer of FOX reports that the Raiders are close to a deal that would send Palmer from the Bengals to Oakland for a first-round draft pick and a conditional future pick. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the conditional pick is a 2013 first-round selection.

Raiders coach Hue Jackson previously worked for the Bengals. Glazer says that Jackson worked Bengals owner Mike Brown hard to get the deal done.

Jackson must have been very persuasive. The Raiders are 4-2 and the Bengals are 4-2. Both teams are positioning for the playoffs, and if the Raiders don’t win the AFC West, they could swipe a playoff spot from the Bengals.

The Raiders will have to scramble to fit Palmer’s prorated $11 million base salary under the salary cap. As of early October, the Raiders had $6.1 million in cap space.

@AdamSchefter (Adam Schefter):

Carson Palmer to the Raiders now official. Compensation expected to be a 1 in 2012 and a conditional 1 in 2013.

About time...

Edited by Favre4Ever

@mortreport (Chris Mortensen):

Raiders now do not have 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th round picks in 2012 but do expect decent compensatory picks back for Gallery/Asomugha

@JayGlazer (Jay Glazer):

Trade is for a first-rounder in 2012 then a second rounder in future that can turn into a first-rounder based on his play

I know the Raiders need a QB and all...but the last time Palmer played he didn't exactly have a good season....

Also...Bengals look to have their QB in Dalton...and now they have two high round draft picks to help give him some weapons...

:yep:

Per Rotoworld:

Raiders acquired QB Carson Palmer from the Bengals in exchange for a first-round pick in 2012 and a conditional first-round pick in 2013.

For once, owner Mike Brown's stubbornness paid off. The Bengals land a king's ransom for a player that was essentially no longer part of their organization. Palmer is now reunited with Hue Jackson, who was an assistant in Cincy from 2004-06. Although Palmer's arm strength and mobility appeared to be declining badly in his final days with the Bengals, he'll be an immediate and significant upgrade on Kyle Boller. It also means that Jason Campbell, set to become a free agent after this season, is likely gone. Palmer's name is worth more than his game, but he is on the QB2 radar and will keep afloat the current value of Darrius Heyward-Bey and Denarius Moore.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

@FauxJohnMadden (Faux John Madden):

Bengals receive: 1st round pick. Raiders receive: QB Carson Palmer and several pick 6's.

• Upvote 1

According to ESPN the deal is agreed to, just not official yet.

2 first round picks, one being a 2012 first round pick.

Now, is this really smart? I'm not sure. If Palmer performs at a high level like we know he is capable of, it will be worth it. If not, they may have destroyed 2 future drafts.

I think this is a good trade for both the Raiders and Bengals. The Bengals get a first round pick that they can use to help in the rebuilding process, and plus, Andy Dalton is playing pretty well in his rookie season, so they don't really need Carson Palmer anymore (his salary is pretty high and he didn't even show up to training camp and the preseason so it would be a waste to keep on to him). The raiders get a pretty good quarterback who will end up playing well for the Raiders and help them get to the playoffs.

Two first round picks (one conditional) for Carson Palmer! I was wrong about Mike Brown man, he's a fucking genius! Either that or whoever is running the Raiders is an idiot, Al himself wouldn't have made that trade :rofl:

• Upvote 2

Two first round picks (one conditional) for Carson Palmer! I was wrong about Mike Brown man, he's a fucking genius! Either that or whoever is running the Raiders is an idiot, Al himself wouldn't have made that trade :rofl:

I agree that if Al was around it never would have happened. However, I think you have to see this trade as two fold. While it looks like Mike Brown made a kings ransom (he probably did), there is an extremely good chance that Carson Palmer returns to his old form and does really well on the Raiders.

There isn't a team in the league with as much talent around the football right now as the Raiders imo. Especially with Heyward-Bey starting to really turn the switch to the on position lately. It's weird, but I really think that Davis passing away may have gave this team a new light. If Palmer does well, the Raiders are going to look like a group of absolute rocket scientists.

Jason Campbell was good, but he's nothing more than a game manager imo. He limited mistakes on the field. Carson gives the Raiders a chance at having a QB that can actually use his arm to throw footballs.

Edited by Chris D

WOW. The day after Brandon Lloyd gets traded for a conditional 5th rounder, Carson Palmer gets traded for a 1st rounder and conditional 1st rounder?

@mortreport (Chris Mortensen):

Carson Palmer is in Bay Area getting physical, expects to pass and then paperwork will be finalized to NFL

WOW. The day after Brandon Lloyd gets traded for a conditional 5th rounder, Carson Palmer gets traded for a 1st rounder and conditional 1st rounder?

Brandon Lloyd has had one good season and he's already 30 years old. The difference of the two other than WR/QB, Palmer is a proven commodity, and he's had numerous great years. Even though people say he fell off, which he did a little, he still did pretty well for the shit he had to deal with on and off the field. (In 2010)

@wingoz (trey wingo):

Raiders are in position to become the 1st team with no picks in the 1st 4 rounds of a draft since 1989 when, THE RAIDERS.. had none in 1st 5

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• Upvote 1

Wow did the Raiders overpay im sure the rest of the AFC West is loving this.

The Raiders have to win a playoff game, this year (I believe) to turn that conditional 2nd rounder into a 1st. I find that unlikely, but I still hate what the Raiders gave up. This is insane.

Wow did the Raiders overpay im sure the rest of the AFC West is loving this.

While they may have traded too much for him, idk if the AFC West should be loving this all that much... Carson Palmer may of not played his best ball last year, but we all know Palmer can play at a pro bowl level...

The Raiders have to win a playoff game, this year (I believe) to turn that conditional 2nd rounder into a 1st. I find that unlikely, but I still hate what the Raiders gave up. This is insane.

You sir...

...are correct.

@ProFootballTalk (ProFootballTalk):

On PFT Live, @JayGlazer indicates Bengals '13 pick upgrades based on Raiders winning a playoff game.

:D

I agree that if Al was around it never would have happened. However, I think you have to see this trade as two fold. While it looks like Mike Brown made a kings ransom (he probably did), there is an extremely good chance that Carson Palmer returns to his old form and does really well on the Raiders.

There isn't a team in the league with as much talent around the football right now as the Raiders imo. Especially with Heyward-Bey starting to really turn the switch to the on position lately. It's weird, but I really think that Davis passing away may have gave this team a new light. If Palmer does well, the Raiders are going to look like a group of absolute rocket scientists.

Jason Campbell was good, but he's nothing more than a game manager imo. He limited mistakes on the field. Carson gives the Raiders a chance at having a QB that can actually use his arm to throw footballs.

Al knew the draft was a crap shoot and went into the draft with his own strategies (e.g. see drafting a Kicker in the 1st round, but that kicker just happens to be a monster in his own right). Yeah, Al came off crazy @ times but this is fucking ludicrous! If that was Al he would have probably traded ONE 1st for Palmer and too be honest would have given the Bengals the rest of that years picks for Taylor Mays just cause he's fast :biggrin:.

I will say this though, I have 100% faith in Hue Jackson and if I can recall correctly Hue was a Bengal when Palmer was still pretty relevant. I think Hue can turn him around but that doesn't change the fact that they over paid for a player they will only use for 5 weeks...

The bigger problem here is that spending two 1st's on Palmer kinda guarantees his place on the roster for quite some time. Jason Campbell has played well and yes, he is out for the season but he is under a 4-year contract (correct me if I'm wrong) and he will have to compete with Palmer when he returns. QB drama in Oakland?

The thing with this trade is that they NEED Carson to play at an elite level. Maybe not this year, I think we can all give him a break being that he hasn't played, he will be in a new offense... etc etc.

But down the road.. Carson Palmer needs to be the face of the Raiders. He needs to throw for 4,000 yards, 30ish TD, limit the INT. That's what the compensation dictates.

The Raiders could have easily gone out and signed or traded for a mediocre to good QB for little to no picks or cash and been fine, IMO. They are taking a big gamble on Palmer, and I don't think it's going to pan out.

Pan out as far as being worth -- potentially -- two first round picks.

• Upvote 1

They could have picked up David Garrard for a very low contract and got the same results as Palmer will get them.

Can the league decline such a ridiculous trade? I mean, this isn't even remotely fair..

Edit: Apparently Garrard is out for the year with back surgery..shock to me.

Edited by .AirMcNair.

Zombie Al making bad moves, hard to believe Mike Brown pulled this off.