Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

CJ says he's not to blame for poor rushing attack

Slumping Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson insisted that he wasn't the source of the team's anemic ground game after he was booed early and often by the home fans while being held to 18 yards on 10 carries in Tennessee's 41-7 loss to the Houston Texans Sunday. "I feel like I've been back," Johnson said, refuting reports from Titan Insider that he wasn't in good enough shape to start the season after a contract holdout. "I feel like my conditioning and me missing camp, I can't say that's the problem with the running game." Since signing a four-year, $53.5 million deal before the season started, Johnson has 93 carries for 268 yards, a 2.9-yards-per-carry average. Johnson said he was frustrated with the running struggles and that those who know football can tell what the problems are. "If u are watching the game and u can’t tell what's going on with the run game then I'd say u really don’t know football," he said, according to the Tennessean. "I'm very confident that I've been doing the things that I've been having to do," Johnson said. "It's a situation where I continue to say that I can't do anything but keep running hard and working hard and doing what I can for this team." Backup Javon Ringer had more yards (31) than Johnson on Sunday in just three carries, but coach Mike Munchak cautioned reporters not to read too much into that. "I think when you lose like that you should re-evaluate everything," Munchak said. "But there are only so many things you can do to change it. We like Ringer, but is that the answer? I don’t think so. I don’t think all of a sudden we’re going to block better because of that." Even Ringer agreed. "People in the stands look at C.J. and they think, 'OK, outrun this guy, break tackles.' But you can’t if there’s no room there," Ringer said. "I am not trying to deliberately point the finger at anyone, but we need to work better as a team."

I love how he's basically calling out his o-line without directly saying it. It's true in some cases, but in yesterday's game he looked very timid and didn't seem like he even wanted to be on the field. Don't exactly know what his problem is, but he's lacking the "fire" I've seen in him from years past.

It makes the situation worse when he deflects. Just admit that you're part of the problem and work to fix it. No one should be laying all the blame on him, but he has contributed.

Wow. Now he's rich AND classy. Didn't the media and everyone on this site crush Santonio Holmes—and rightly so—for doing this exact same thing?

CJ is the starting RB and he just got paid oodles of money to be exactly that. If the running game is failing, the running back has as much to do with it as the O-line.

He wanted to get paid like a playmaker and not just a RB. Now he's getting playmaker scrutiny, and he acts like a coward when people question his lack of playmaking ability. What a dick.

• Upvote 1

Guest MikeyDay

Wow. Now he's rich AND classy. Didn't the media and everyone on this site crush Santonio Holmes—and rightly so—for doing this exact same thing?

CJ is the starting RB and he just got paid oodles of money to be exactly that. If the running game is failing, the running back has as much to do with it as the O-line.

He wanted to get paid like a playmaker and not just a RB. Now he's getting playmaker scrutiny, and he acts like a coward when people question his lack of playmaking ability. What a dick.

Hes frusterated, and the way he said it i dont mind, shit it is most of the olines man fault. Sorry but when u suck YOU SUCK, period. Idk how u think hes a dick, hes never in trouble nor starting shit on the field. Its no different when Peyton called out his oline when Pitt beat them in the playoffs. Blame goes where blame should. Yes CJ is a part of it but 90% of it is the oline. Anyone who disagrees should get the FUCK outta this thread bcuz u have not watched the Titans. As Air McNair said, he can show u highlights of the Titans and watch the run blocking get pussy fucked every play. I wouldnt of thought it was possible either, but when u have the worst starting guards in the NFL and a 3rd string caliber center playing as a starter it can happen. I put more blame on the coaches then i would CJ however, they arent finding ways to use him right. OBVIOUSLY running up the middle every run play hasnt been working, so why not put him as a wr or do some counters or pitches... Jesus..

Edited by MikeyDay
  • Downvote 1

I know the Titans offensive line has been pretty bad in terms of run blocking this year, but the best running backs will over-come that. I just feel like Johnson is looking for excuses at this point. Two weeks in a row now he has tried to tell reporters that it's the blocking that's not allowing him to run the football effectively.

I know the Titans offensive line has been pretty bad in terms of run blocking this year, but the best running backs will over-come that. I just feel like Johnson is looking for excuses at this point. Two weeks in a row now he has tried to tell reporters that it's the blocking that's not allowing him to run the football effectively.

Yeah, that is exactly what it feels like. Every week, it's the same thing. Chris Johnson fails, then Chris Johnson blames someone else for his short comings.

Again... I KNOW the Titans Oline is a terrible run blocking unit, but come on man. He's been rendered virtually ineffective the entire season... When is he going to realize that he is part of the problem as well?

And what kind of message are you giving your teammates... When in public, you call them out for not being able to do their jobs but in reality you can't do yours either?

If I am the Titans, I am looking for a trade partner as soon as they are allowed (I know the deadline is up this year)... And just PRAY that he can have a couple decent outings to finish this season and increase his value a little bit.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Guest MikeyDay

Not when its this bad, AP couldnt do shit behind this oline. Nobody could. If yall cant get that thru ur head im sorry u cant handle truth. *Shrugs* theres a first time for everything and the worst run blocking oline in forever is happening. CJ isnt 100% either i get that but Ringer hasnt faired any better. Elite players dont just go from unstoppable to complete 2.9 a carry. No one goes out that fast. Next year when he is doing better after we fix this fucking line, i want CJ sigs on anyone who said he was done.

• Downvote 1

Not when its this bad, AP couldnt do shit behind this oline. Nobody could. If yall cant get that thru ur head im sorry u cant handle truth. *Shrugs* theres a first time for everything and the worst run blocking oline in forever is happening. CJ isnt 100% either i get that but Ringer hasnt faired any better. Elite players dont just go from unstoppable to complete 2.9 a carry. No one goes out that fast. Next year when he is doing better after we fix this fucking line, i want CJ sigs on anyone who said he was done.

AP is running behind an OL that's just bad overall...

I know the Titans OL is fucking terrible this year @ run blocking but seriously, CJ is completely ineffective overall. He doesn't even run the same and last time I check Cj's legs where on his body, not on the OLs. Are the OL to blame? Of course, but so is CJ. CJ doesn't have to call out the OL out to the media especially when he himself is to blame as well. He probably isn't 100% as you said since he held out and of course the lockout but that only goes so far. He said himself that his conditioning isn't very good because he took time off, he wanted to get paid and did. So why wasn't he putting in work by himself so when he did get the $ he wouldn't run like he stole the $.

And yeah, Javon Ringer hasn't faired any better but he isn't CJ, he didn't hold out for a "playmakers" contract, he didn't run for 2k and then gave us an expectation of more.. you get my point. Historically elite HBs have performed well with shitty run blocking but then again those backs conditioned themselves. Don't think I'm slamming CJ either I'm just bringing out some facts. He and the line are to blame, not just the line.

• Upvote 1

I think Titans fans who are not willing, or don't seem to be willing to admit CJ has a role on how his season is failing are kidding themselves.

Once again, your paying the guy 56 MILLION. When you pay someone that kinda money, you rnot just paying them because they are good, your paying them because they are a CRUCIAL peace to your team's overall success. That's the reason why QBs are the ones who get paid that way, you never pay a guy that kinda money unless you know for a fact that that player isn't just a great player, but can make everyone around him better, and is a leader. The excuses that he's making, and that other people are making for his play makes no sense, at all. If your a true playmaker, you make plays regardless of your surrounding cast, or the position that you've been placed in... And he hasn't done any of that. He's not even fighting for yards anymore. The guy isn't hitting holes, he's not driving, he's accepting the fact his interior offensive linemen can't run block and it's clearly evident, he's hesitating and he isn't running hard. There are plays popping up all over the internet of times and oppertunities that were there for CJ recently that he hasn't taken, or he hasn't turned into a successful run because he's just going through the motion.

Now think of it from a lineman's point of view... If the guy I'm blocking for is making this much money, and isn't putting the effort himself to succeed anymore, and then proceeds to blaming everyone for his lack of production outside of HIMSELF... What would be my motivation to block for the guy?

• Upvote 2

Guest MikeyDay

AP is running behind an OL that's just bad overall...

I know the Titans OL is fucking terrible this year @ run blocking but seriously, CJ is completely ineffective overall. He doesn't even run the same and last time I check Cj's legs where on his body, not on the OLs. Are the OL to blame? Of course, but so is CJ. CJ doesn't have to call out the OL out to the media especially when he himself is to blame as well. He probably isn't 100% as you said since he held out and of course the lockout but that only goes so far. He said himself that his conditioning isn't very good because he took time off, he wanted to get paid and did. So why wasn't he putting in work by himself so when he did get the $ he wouldn't run like he stole the $.

And yeah, Javon Ringer hasn't faired any better but he isn't CJ, he didn't hold out for a "playmakers" contract, he didn't run for 2k and then gave us an expectation of more.. you get my point. Historically elite HBs have performed well with shitty run blocking but then again those backs conditioned themselves. Don't think I'm slamming CJ either I'm just bringing out some facts. He and the line are to blame, not just the line.

Oh i know i said CJ isnt 100% and its showed but when ur running him up the middle where the run blocking is the worst why would u keep doing that? I blame the coaching too, Munchak is being Fisher right now. If ur guys suck bench them its simple. And with guards visitin us yesterday we need.to sign someone to replace amano and harris AT least.

• Downvote 1

Guest MikeyDay

I think Titans fans who are not willing, or don't seem to be willing to admit CJ has a role on how his season is failing are kidding themselves.

Once again, your paying the guy 56 MILLION. When you pay someone that kinda money, you rnot just paying them because they are good, your paying them because they are a CRUCIAL peace to your team's overall success. That's the reason why QBs are the ones who get paid that way, you never pay a guy that kinda money unless you know for a fact that that player isn't just a great player, but can make everyone around him better, and is a leader. The excuses that he's making, and that other people are making for his play makes no sense, at all. If your a true playmaker, you make plays regardless of your surrounding cast, or the position that you've been placed in... And he hasn't done any of that. He's not even fighting for yards anymore. The guy isn't hitting holes, he's not driving, he's accepting the fact his interior offensive linemen can't run block and it's clearly evident, he's hesitating and he isn't running hard. There are plays popping up all over the internet of times and oppertunities that were there for CJ recently that he hasn't taken, or he hasn't turned into a successful run because he's just going through the motion.

Now think of it from a lineman's point of view... If the guy I'm blocking for is making this much money, and isn't putting the effort himself to succeed anymore, and then proceeds to blaming everyone for his lack of production outside of HIMSELF... What would be my motivation to block for the guy?

I can see ur point and again ive stated CJ isnt 100% so the whole u guys arent blaming CJ shit is gettin old. Why is it yall dont read fully? If yall did u wouldnt keep saying the same oh u not blaming CJ blah blah. And ok but the coaches havent been using CJ the way they need too. How many times have they lined him up in space? Not alot if any. The coaches should be putting him out there to make plays and they just runnin him or puttin him in the flat...

Ok but if ur Cj and u know ur blocking is shittttttt, and u dnt have chances to make a big run u gunna get frusterated and hesistant too. Its like playin basketball with a nigga who cant play ball. If he is doing shit the whole game n im passin him good passes n hes not doing shit im not gunma try as hard bcuz he sucks period.

• Downvote 1

Both Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte run behind O-lines that are just as worse, or even more awful than Tennessee's, yet they are #1 and #2, I think, overall, with MJD coming in at a close third- and none of those three RBs have a good QB who can take pressure off the run-game.

It IS on CJ. He is a fast back, but he needs to be able to shake off tackles.

Lightning may strike twice, but it ain't happening a 3rd time unless CJ gets his act together.

• Upvote 1

the only reason I've brought up Ringer's stats is in response to comments that we should be benching CJ for Ringer

I really have no pity for CJ. It sucks to have bad run blocking but as has been said other great RBs have bad blocking and still make it work.

Normally I'd have been willing to cut CJ some slack. But he's the one that wanted to be paid like a big time playmaker. He's the one who held out on his team during a lockout and screwed them because he had to have a self-indulgent uber-contract.

Well, now the time has come to show people he deserves that big contract, and you know what? He isn't living up to it. He's a self-indulgent primadonna, and now that the Titans gave in to him and paid him his huge contract he isn't going to put himself out there like he used to. He's going to sit back and expect them to make it easy for him, and if he doesn't produce? Well that's THEIR fault for not helping him enough, right?

CJ doesn't care about his team. If he did he would have been there for them during the lockout and the shortened preseason. Instead he hung them out to dry formoney, and it wasn't just money. He wasn't satisifed being the highest paid RB ever, he had to be one of the highest paid players of any position ever PERIOD.

That right there makes CJ to me one of the most greedy self-centered sacks of shit ever to play the game, and the fact that he did it following a lock-out when his team needed him shows just where his priorites are. He doesn't care about his team-mates, or about football. He cares about one person. CJ2k and making sure he gets his.

CJ may be a talented RB, but to me with an attitude like this he'll never be a true great. Just another self-absorbed ego-centric prick trying to take the NFL for as much as he can get. Truly great players love the game, and their teams. they don't stop trying once they get their big contract, nor do they try to screw over their team to get said big contract.

CJ2K is on the expressway to nowhere, and if he doesn't change his tune he'll be remembered as nothing more than a flash in the pan. Just another greedy self-absorbed player with a little bit of talent and way too much ego.

...Man, having said all that it really sounds like I hate the guy and I don't. I'm just disappointed by what he's becoming. Last year I was all for him, but he's starting to show his true colors and I don't like it. Maybe he'll prove me wrong, and I truly hope he does. He has the ability to be remembered as a true great, but if he keeps this up his career will go down in flames.

Edited by Jayrus

Guest MikeyDay

Both Adrian Peterson and Matt Forte run behind O-lines that are just as worse, or even more awful than Tennessee's, yet they are #1 and #2, I think, overall, with MJD coming in at a close third- and none of those three RBs have a good QB who can take pressure off the run-game.

It IS on CJ. He is a fast back, but he needs to be able to shake off tackles.

Lightning may strike twice, but it ain't happening a 3rd time unless CJ gets his act together.

GTFO. Their run blocking lines are better then ours. U know why??? Bcuz ours is 32nd so thats a false statement. It seem ppl just hate on CJ, bcuz these replies are always false or opinionated. If u gun make a case like its fact...make sure its fact. IJS.

• Downvote 1

I can see ur point and again ive stated CJ isnt 100% so the whole u guys arent blaming CJ shit is gettin old. Why is it yall dont read fully? If yall did u wouldnt keep saying the same oh u not blaming CJ blah blah.

I don't understand how you can say CJ isn't 100% when the guy is saying himself that it has nothing to do with his health or conditioning.

After finishing with a season-low 18 yards on 10 carries in Tennessee's loss to Houston in Week 7, RB Chris Johnson insisted he is 100 percent healthy after holding out all of training camp in order to get a new contract.

So the guy is saying that his health or conditioning isn't the problem. That eliminates that excuse. What's next?

And ok but the coaches havent been using CJ the way they need too. How many times have they lined him up in space? Not alot if any. The coaches should be putting him out there to make plays and they just runnin him or puttin him in the flat...

He's your primary back, your #1 back, your 10+ mill dollar RB, he gets the bulk of the RB carries. Are you really telling me that when one guy is receiving the bulk of the running plays and he isn't producing, the coaches are just gonna ignore that and keep giving him the rock in positions to not make plays? Especially when he's the highest paid player on your team? I don't buy it.

Ok but if ur Cj and u know ur blocking is shittttttt, and u dnt have chances to make a big run u gunna get frusterated and hesistant too. Its like playin basketball with a nigga who cant play ball. If he is doing shit the whole game n im passin him good passes n hes not doing shit im not gunma try as hard bcuz he sucks period.

The problem I have isn't that he's calling out his line, or that he isn't playing aggressively... My problem is that it's clear that he isn't playing with that same fire that you want your playmaker to play with, he isn't giving it his 100% but yet he feels like he can single himself out as not being the reason for why the running game is ineffective?

When your team is losing, or is not living up to it's expectations, you let the coaches call out players in front of the media, you let the media point fingers on who to blame... You don't single yourself out as a player as not being a problem in front of the media. Especially when everyone outside of yourself and a select few believe that you could contribute more. What kind of a teammate does that make you look like?

• Upvote 2

I can see ur point and again ive stated CJ isnt 100% so the whole u guys arent blaming CJ shit is gettin old. Why is it yall dont read fully? If yall did u wouldnt keep saying the same oh u not blaming CJ blah blah. And ok but the coaches havent been using CJ the way they need too. How many times have they lined him up in space? Not alot if any. The coaches should be putting him out there to make plays and they just runnin him or puttin him in the flat...

Maybe it's because you can't spell fully...?

I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can actually visit this site, type like that and expect people to take you seriously in any conversation.

Edited by Barracuda
  • Upvote 2

Guest MikeyDay

Maybe it's because you can't spell fully...?

I'm sorry, but I don't see how you can actually visit this site, type like that and expect people to take you seriously in any conversation.

Bcuz u not a fucking teacher ur someone on the internet on a fucking website. No need to type fully specially when im on my phone. U let the sterotype shit get to u i swear. My typin isnt that bad, u just play off it like the lil kids on here. The last three posts on here u can read if u cant go its u who needs to be in school. If u dnt like my typing, then block me straight up. Besides nobody here worth a damn to impress on english or typing. Its a fuckin website, tighten up

• Downvote 2

GTFO. Their run blocking lines are better then ours. U know why??? Bcuz ours is 32nd so thats a false statement. It seem ppl just hate on CJ, bcuz these replies are always false or opinionated. If u gun make a case like its fact...make sure its fact. IJS.

What?

That logic was so circular my head is spinning.

CJ isn't doing as good as AP and Forte because our O-line is worse than theirs. How do I know our O-line is worse than theirs? Because CJ isn't doing as good as AP and Forte.

You really going to tell me the Vikes have the 3rd best O-line in the league because they are 3rd in YPG and the Titans have the worst because they are last in YPG? You can't truly tell me that it's all on the Titans O-line man, come on!

I mean, Jonathan Stewart has more YPG than Chris Johnson. That's just sad, man.

Edited by Thanatos19

Guest MikeyDay

What?

That logic was so circular my head is spinning.

CJ isn't doing as good as AP and Forte because our O-line is worse than theirs. How do I know our O-line is worse than theirs? Because CJ isn't doing as good as AP and Forte.

You really going to tell me the Vikes have the 3rd best O-line in the league because they are 3rd in YPG and the Titans have the worst because they are last in YPG? You can't truly tell me that it's all on the Titans O-line man, come on!

I mean, Jonathan Stewart has more YPG than Chris Johnson. That's just sad, man.

No didnt say the Vikes oline was that good they arent as bad as ours bro. Were rabked last. ESPN sees it, we see it. Do u? Watch games i tell u its more frusterating then shit to watch ur oline play that bad. And Forte is used better then CJ. They have him playin to his strengths as we do not to CJ. Its coaching too, definitely.. Im done arguing , yall can watch the highlights like Air said or u can stay with ur bad opinion on CJ. Yall choice.

• Downvote 1

Unfortunately your argument about who has the better offensive line is pointless. Mainly because ESPN does their run blocking rankings based on yardage that the RUNNING BACKS are able to pick up. With pass blocking it's totally different. I can watch as many highlights as you want me to, and for each that you give me on the Titans I bet I can equal the bad blocking with the Bears and the Vikings.

The Bears have the absolute worst offensive line in all of football. They couldn't block a damn cardboard cut-out. But Forte still get's it done, he breaks tackles, he dodges defenders. He get's yardage and touchdowns. Whats the excuse there? We don't see Johnson doing anything but running straight into defenders and hitting the ground. There's no movement in the back field. It's like he's not even seeing the field like he was.

And Peterson? His line has been sub-par for years. But again, he busts through defenders, he scares defenders. Just because your line isn't blocking doesn't mean that you should be completely halted, especially if you're considered one of the best backs in football. You should be able to find the holes (however small they may be) and shake off defenders.

And as for the "Oh, well he knows the line sucks so he's not going to try and he will be hesitant", that doesn't really fly in the NFL. If you're being paid 10Mil+ a year, you better step your ass up and play some football. Stop being a panzy and run the damn ball. Again, if he was a top back, he would be breaking loose of defenders. Because all he's proving me now is that his line could have been pretty good the past few years and made his job easy with the speed he has.

Edited by Chris D
  • Upvote 1

For the record, I agree with Cuda. There is a difference between being a grammar nazi and calling someone on every little error, and simply wanting people to make posts that don't use "internet slang" every third word. Can I read it? Yes. Does it make me want to claw my eyes out doing so? Hell yes.

No didnt say the Vikes oline was that good they arent as bad as ours bro. Were rabked last. ESPN sees it, we see it. Do u? Watch games i tell u its more frusterating then shit to watch ur oline play that bad. And Forte is used better then CJ. They have him playin to his strengths as we do not to CJ. Its coaching too, definitely.. Im done arguing , yall can watch the highlights like Air said or u can stay with ur bad opinion on CJ. Yall choice.

ESPN? ESPN? The same idiots that ranked the Chargers as the #9 team in the country after losing to the Jets? The same idiots that think their new way of ranking QBs is the best and they're going to shove it down our throats, even it means that Tebow is ranked higher than Rodgers? I trust ESPN's opinion less than my six-year old cousin's.

Your logic is no good. You say, "We are 32nd in the league in rushing, therefore our O-line must be horrible, and it's not CJ's fault."

In response, "You are 32nd in the league in rushing, and while not better than AP's and Forte's, (and that's a stretch in and of itself, but I'll let it slide), your O-line is comparable to theirs, who both have SIX TIMES as many yards as CJ does. Therefore it is not *possible* by any feasible stretch of logic, that your O-line is the *only* thing at fault here. It is obvious to anyone who watches football without rose-colored glasses on that CJ is not playing nearly as well as he used to. He is not making cuts, stiff-arms, breaking tackles, or putting on the speed he used the last two years. WHY this is the case, I don't know. But it is an undeniable *fact* that it IS the case."

Edited by Thanatos19
  • Upvote 1