Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Update: Brees goes for 258, two scores in Saints win

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

TIME: 01:00 P.M. EST

VENUE: Mercedes-Benz Superdome

The New Orleans Saints failed to take advantage of what seemed like a golden opportunity to increase their division lead last weekend.

Following a week off, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are feeling all the more optimistic about making a run at them - especially with LeGarrette Blount expected to return.

Hoping to regroup from one of the more stunning defeats of the NFL season, the Saints try to avenge last month's loss to the Buccaneers on Sunday at the Superdome in a matchup which has control of the NFC South at stake.

Coming off a 62-7 rout of Indianapolis on Oct. 23, New Orleans (5-3) entered last Sunday as a huge favorite over previously winless St. Louis but emerged with a shocking 31-21 loss. The Saints were never in the game, trailing 24-0 well into the third quarter against a Rams team which hadn't scored more than 16 points in any previous week.

"It kind of felt like a nightmare," left tackle Jermon Bushrod said. "We've got to refocus and put this tough one behind us ... because the more we harp on (last Sunday), the more it's going to eat us up."

New Orleans saw its South lead drop to one-half game over Tampa Bay (4-3) and Atlanta, both of which were idle last week. The Bucs could be alone atop the division with a win Sunday or will share first place if Atlanta also wins, but they've already beaten the Falcons.

"It's all clumped up in the NFC South. Perfect suiting for us. Perfect suiting for winning this division like we talked about at the beginning of the year," coach Raheem Morris said. "Somebody has to do it, why not us?

"We do feel like we're in a good position. We haven't played our best football clearly, and that's a good thing."

Their hopes of surpassing the Saints surely would be helped if Blount is back after missing two games with a sprained MCL in his left knee. The bruising second-year running back has rushed for 328 yards and three touchdowns in five games.

"LeGarrette brings a lot to the table, he's one of those guys that can come in there and really (allows us to) be what we want to be on offense," Morris said.

"He's obviously one of our guys that we're gonna depend on to make big plays ... we're expecting big things out of LeGarrette Blount."

His return would come at an opportune time after Earnest Graham, who started the last two games, suffered a season-ending torn Achilles' tendon in a 24-18 loss to Chicago in London on Oct. 23.

Blount could post impressive numbers against a New Orleans run defense ranked 24th in the NFL with an average of 124.1 yards allowed. Graham rushed for 109 yards in a 26-20 home win over New Orleans on Oct. 16.

Drew Brees had a season-worst three interceptions in that defeat, though he did throw for 383 yards. The Bucs failed to sack Brees in that game, but he was sacked a career worst-tying six times last Sunday and threw two more interceptions.

"The truth hurts. We've lost two out of three and we've lost them in similar ways," said Brees, whose streak of 35 consecutive games with a TD pass is one shy of tying Brett Favre for second-longest in NFL history.

"We've turned the ball over, which will get you beat. We haven't been as balanced as we should be on offense, so that's a matter of execution."

The Saints compiled just 70 and 56 rushing yards, respectively, against the Buccaneers and Rams - their two lowest totals of the season. While they've won 23 consecutive games when rushing for at least 125 yards - the longest active streak in the NFL - they are 0-3 when recording less than 100 this season.

First-round pick Mark Ingram, who leads the team with 329 rushing yards and three TDs, was held out against the Rams with a right heel injury. He didn't practice Wednesday and is unlikely to be available this week.

The Bucs have taken three of four from the Saints as Josh Freeman has thrown for five touchdowns and been picked off just twice. He threw for a season-high 303 yards and two TDs without an interception in last month's matchup, but Freeman is looking to bounce back after having a season-worst four INTs against the Bears.

"This is crunch time football, no matter what your team situation is," Freeman said. "This week for a lot of teams it's make or break. You've got to start looking at games like that.

"It's no longer the beginning of the season. You're starting to get into the home stretch. We've just got to find a way to play well."

Tampa Bay has won its last two visits to the Superdome. New Orleans is 16-3 at home against the rest of the NFL since the start of 2009 - including playoffs - and 3-0 this year while averaging 44.0 points.

Copyright 2011 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by BLUE

:Bucs: 31

:Saints: 27

Make it a sweep!

I think this game will really determine whether or not the Bucs make the playoffs. First off it'll show whether or not they could fix the issues from the first half of the season during the bye week. But also if they lose this they'll likely fall to 3rd after the Falcons (most likely) take care of the Colts. I don't personally see the Saints or Falcons letting up on the lead down the stretch, and all 3 teams have relatively difficult schedules.

I pretty much agree with what Shotgun said...

This game will predetermine what this team will do this season. If they can win it we have a serious chance at making a push at the playoffs. If the Saints just abuse them...the season is pretty much over...

We need to see them get over the slow starts BS which would mean making serious, big improvements in the penalties department. Feed it to Blount (keep Lumpy on the bench please) and set up that PA pass. We stick to this game plan and we usually do really well. I think we are like 16-1 when Blount has 20+ carries. We also need to see Freeman get back to 2010 form or we aren't going to do shit.

I am worried about this game though...the Saints are coming off of getting whooped by the winless Rams and we all saw what the Saints did to the Colts after the week they lost to us.

Execute, execute, execute! NO PENALTIES! GIVE IT TO BLOUNT....and COME BACK TO US JOSH!

GO BUCS!

Gonna be tough for us to win this one. We have already beaten the Saints once and beating them in the dome is not an easy task. They are coming off an awful loss to the Rams so I am sure they will be motivated. Only thing we have going for us is that we are coming off a bye week and some of our players are coming back from injuries.

Hopefully 27 is really healthy and can carry the Bucs for the entire game. I don't like what I'm hearing about Freeman's thumb.

If we can generate the type of pass rush we did in our first meeting, we can pull off a tough W on the road. We all know Brees has been mistake prone this season. With that being said, I will say that the key is once again the same one I mentioned before our first meeting. We can't wait until the second half to start playing some good offense because once we fall behind to them by two scores or so, I don't see them collapsing and losing the game.

Hopefully 27 is really healthy and can carry the Bucs for the entire game. I don't like what I'm hearing about Freeman's thumb.

Local beat guys were tweeting that it didn't look like it was hindering him at all in practice as he was zipping and slinging the ball as hard and far as usual.

This is going to be one hell of a physical football game. If the Bucs repeat what they did in the first game on the defensive side of the ball, they win. If you shut down there offense, you win this game. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Bucs sweep the Aint's...than come to our house to send em on a 3 game losing streak :yep:

This is going to be one hell of a physical football game. If the Bucs repeat what they did in the first game on the defensive side of the ball, they win. If you shut down there offense, you win this game. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Bucs sweep the Aint's...than come to our house to send em on a 3 game losing streak :yep:

Sounds good to me. :thumbup:

It's very hard to go into a fellow NFC South rival's house and beat them.

The Saints get back on track.

:Bucs: 20

:Saints: 24

Buccaneers declared DL Frank Okam, OG Jeremy Zuttah, WR Sammie Stroughter, CB Myron Lewis, LB Zac Diles, OT James Lee, and DE Tim Crowder inactive for Week 9 against the Saints.

Tampa Bay is relatively healthy coming off their bye. Okam did not participate in practice all week and was considered a long-shot to play. Roy Miller will provide depth behind Brian Price and Gerald McCoy. Ted Larsen will fill-in for Zuttah on the offensive line.

Saints declared LB Jonathan Vilma, RB Mark Ingram, CB Johnny Patrick, FB Korey Hall, T Ray Willis, WR Adrian Arrington, and DE Jeff Charleston inactive for Week 9 against the Buccaneers.

Vilma has been playing with a lingering knee injury and did not participate in the team portion of practices this week. Ingram will miss his second consecutive game but has a chance to play in Week 10. Both Shaun Rogers (illness) and David Thomas (concussion) are active.

Feed it to Blount and run it down their throat...their run defense sucks WITH Vilma...he's out today...

Zuttah AND James Lee out? Damn, I hope we don't get anymore injuries on the O-line.

Saints OLine is just raping the Bucs.

And only Ronde Barber knows how to make tackles on the D apparently.

This game was a perfect example of just how much we need McCoy on the defense.

This game was a perfect example of just how much we need McCoy on the defense.

I 2nd that. The games Gerald has been out the run-D has been horrible and the pass-rush is almost non-existent outside of Clayborn, but teams are starting to double up on him a lot. The guys a game changer when he's playing, it really sucks he's so injury prone these first 2 seasons.

Also, It seems like Freeman made better decisions taking check-downs instead of forcing the ball this game, but he's still over throwing guys. He seriously needs to work on his accuracy.

I 2nd that. The games Gerald has been out the run-D has been horrible and the pass-rush is almost non-existent outside of Clayborn, but teams are starting to double up on him a lot. The guys a game changer when he's playing, it really sucks he's so injury prone these first 2 seasons.

Also, It seems like Freeman made better decisions taking check-downs instead of forcing the ball this game, but he's still over throwing guys. He seriously needs to work on his accuracy.

The Saints did a great job of chipping Clayborn all game which threw his pass rush off. I give their coaching staff props.

@HolderStephen:

Hearing in locker room that Gerald McCoy's injury is season ending. #Bucs

So...with McCoy unfortunately being so injury prone in his first two years...is it time for Dom to think about a plan B for the 3-tech position?? Serious question.