Sign in to follow this  
Socal

Headphones

I want to get a new pair of headphones(prefer buds to over ears) and I was wondering what everyone else here uses? I've done a little research and asked friends but I haven't really been able to get a good read on any particular brand or model. Since everyone listens to music and most have some kind of headphones, I figured its best to just ask around.

Basically just list your headphones you use, what you use them for and the pros and cons of each one. If you want to tell us the price then that would be great, too.

The headphones I have most recently used are called snuggbuds, and I bought the Pump'D ear buds. The buds retail for 40$ and they are decent ear buds. Pump'D is their extra bass model and while the bass is pretty good, it can interfere with the rest of the sound so sometimes you are forced to turn down the volume to keep the music sounding clear. The cord is covered which supposedly makes it more durable but last week it ripped and now there is a kink in the line. The construction of the buds at first appears to be sound, but after owning them for just a few months, the casing of the left earbud has detached and the wires are left exposed; its only a matter of time before it breaks completely.

Don't use ear buds unless you want to be deaf by the time you're 30.

I don't use them often but I own a pair of SkullCandys which fit well, are comfortable and have really good sound. The higher end ones are so powerful you can't really use them on the highest volume, lol.

• Upvote 1

I have a pair of Skullcandy "earplug" style headphones for my Ipod. I seriously cannot wear regular earbuds because my ears are too small, they won't stay in place. I would use full-size headphones, but I only have an Ipod Shuffle (not much bigger than a postage stamp) so it would look funny as fuck.

So far these Skullcandy ones work pretty well, but I had a pair prior to these that stopped working after a week. I guess it really depends on the money you are willing to spend for quality. I am really fucking CHEAP.

• Upvote 1

I use the ones that came with my iPhone. Am I the only one in the world who doesn't have problems with the normal Apple white earbuds?

Had these for 3 years now and no problems, lmao.

It's hard to recommend headphones because we aren't sure what you're looking for. Headphones have different looks and styles, different weights and comfortability, different sound pros/cons, etc. My dad is an audio wiz and he highly recommends a brand of headphones called Grados. They aren't ear buds, and they aren't the prettiest, but their sound quality shits all over Beatz & Bose (which stands for "Buy Other Sound Equipment"). Some good pairs for $200 or less include:

Grado SR-60i--$79.00

Review: N/A

Grado SR-80i--$99.00

Review: My dad owned a pair of these. He said the sound quality is incredible and can compare to headphones in the several hundreds range. Good sound quality that also packs a punch with bass.

Grado SR-125i--$150.00

Review: My dad highly recommends these. He said these are the best "bang-for-your-buck" headphones at this price. They've won awards and are often referred to as the actual "best-bang-for-your-buck" headphones in this price range. They're supposed to have good, clear sound and also pack a bass punch.

Grado SR-225i--$200.00

Review: My friend looked into getting these and said that this model is more focused on actual sound quality than "bass punches." I know this model has also won awards for its quality.

Grado iGrado--$49.00

Review: I'm a cheap bastard so I looked into possibly buying these. I saw two different people say that these were basically the best headphones available for $50.00 or less and that they sounded phenomonal for their price.

**The headphones aren't sold in basic electronic stores like Best Buy, so you'll have to order them off the internet from the Grado site, Amazon, etc. One more thing--The headphones aren't the prettiest, so if you're looking for headphones to look "cool" just go ahead and go for Beatz.

Edited by Patriots2994
  • Upvote 1

I would highly recommend NOT going out and getting a cheap pair of headphones.

It completely depends on what you want to use them for, though. I don't really listen to music unless I'm at my computer, so I have a pair of TurtleBeach EarForceX11 headphones. They're generally about $75, I got them on sale for $50.

And they are awesome. But this is almost a pure gaming set of headphones- I can lower chat volume on thinks like mumble, vent, and skype, while not affecting overall volume, if I so desire, and I can lower how loud I come across over the mic.

They're a great pair of headphones for what I use them for. I tried to get cheap $15-$20 ones for the longest time, and it's just not worth it.

However, this would be kinda bulky for just plugging into your ipod and listening to music.

So what do you primarily use them for? And are you generally sitting when you listen to music, or do you listen to it a lot while exercising or something else that would have you moving while listening to music?

• Upvote 1

I don't know why y'all are hatin on cheap headphones, I've been using these for years:

41xrWNYXXyL._AA300_.jpg

cost about $10, I'm sure I could do better, but they're comfortable because I don't have to shove them into my ears and the sound quality is more than good enough, plus I don't have to shell out 200 bucks for headphones

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all the replies

I primarily use my headphones for exercising, listening to music on my phone or on the computer and also listening to music on the plane.

Im not too concerned about how they look, I prefer ear buds to over the ear headphones because they don't hurt after wearing them for an extended period of time and they are less complicated to deal with when working out.

Normally I buy pretty cheap earbuds but I use them so much and pairs have been breaking on me so much that I decided to look into some more expensive ones. Sound quality and durability is most important to me.

I have Skullcandy earbuds. I love them, have had multiple pairs. the ones i just recently broke (i was swing them around and i hit a brick wall) were Titans. $40 and great sound quality. I just ordered a pair of the ink'd (like $23), which I have had before and were amazing for the money. Never had a pair of skullcandys i didn't like. They have awesome customer service if they break for no reason.

Edited by .CD
  • Upvote 1

Skullcandy is the way to go. :yep:

Relatively cheap

Good sound quality

Durable (as long as you don't swing em around and other childish things) :D

Edited by Barracuda
  • Upvote 2

Durable (as long as you don't swing em around and other childish things) :D

Ive learned that one the hard way lol

Research Klipsch earbuds. You will NOT regret the purchase. I have the s4's and I use them for workouts, at work and when commuting. I love them. I wouldnt waste any money on beats or skullcandy (Skullcandy are the cheap shit I buy for my son :D).

• Upvote 1

Sorry to bump this, but i got Beats for chirstmas, and they blow any other headphone I've ever owned out of the water. They are absolutely amazing. If you can afford them, they are 10000000000% worth it. i haven't heard a song that doesn't sound amazing yet.

If you're going in-ear, I recommend a pair of Beats By Dre Tours. They're $150 regular, I got them for $50 during Boxing Week, and they're the best pair of in-ear headphones I've ever had. They cancel out nearly all sound, the sounds quality is unbelievable, and the bass in spectacular.