BucD

The Official Buccaneers Offseason Thread

Well...sadly it's time...

Can't wait to see what goes down Monday morning/afternoon - Tuesday morning/afternoon...

Here's a mock by Matt Miller from BleacherReport to kick this thing off...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1006082-2012-nfl-mock-draft-full-7-round-projections-with-updated-order

For the Bucs:

1. Morris Claiborne - CB - LSU

2. Zebrie Sanders - OT - Florida State

3. Doug Martin - RB - Boise State

4. None (traded to Philly)

5. Tank Carder - OLB - TCU

6. Casey Hayward - CB - Vanderbilt

7. Tramain Thomas - FS - Arkansas

If we got a veteran WR (#1) and OL/CB/LB/S help via FA I'd REALLY like that draft...

I would make one of these for Carolina...

but I'd be the only person who'd reply. :(

I could hold a conversation with myself and argue about who we should draft. :p

Anyway, OT, I think it's pretty clear Raheem is gone. The players quit on him, they're not going to extend his contract, which would be necessary to get a good defensive coordinator to come coach for Tampa.

Also, if you want a veteran #1 WR, let me recommend Legedu Nanee. He's been fantastic this season for the Panthers. :troll:

Seriously- Steve Johnson.

This off-season is huge. I think if we can have a solid off-season and we make the right moves, this team can get right back on track and have a .500 or better record next year. I am expecting many changes and hoping for some splashes in FA. Who knows with the Glazers though. They could do nothing and keep Raheem for all we know. The next few days will be very interesting as I will be waiting to see on the computer or get a text that Raheem has been officially fired (Olson too)

Anyways, for the draft, we are picking #5 overall. Going to be a lot of talent on the board. When we pick, it is a guarantee that one of the following 4 will still be on the board: Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon and Claiborne. These are all great talents and I'd love to have any of them on the Bucs. Would want Claiborne the most though because our secondary is trash and if Ronde retires and Talib is in jail, it will be even more putrid.

Like I said before, I want to see us spend in FA. Dominik said we would this off-season and we need to hit the cap floor soon so I could see us throwing some money at some players. Definitely want to see us sign a LB, CB, and a solid veteran WR. Not really sure who all is going to be a free agent yet, so I won't throw out any names.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as Thanatos about an offseason thread for the Saints :p

As for a #1 WR for the Bucs I know Colston and Meachem will both be free agents for the Saints and I don't know if we will keep both of them.

Mike Williams is garbage now?

I'd like a little more veteran experience on the roster, don't want a full blown splash offseason like the Eagles had though.

I'm really hoping Raheem is fired today and we get this over with. I want a completly new coaching staff.

Mike Williams is garbage now?

Not garbage. He just started off the year slow and had the dropsies, but he got better as the year went on. Just ran into a little sophomore slump. He isn't the best route runner though.

Entire coaching staff fired today. Good way to start this off-season. :yep:

Not many candidates named for the HC gig so far. Schefter expects us to go after Fisher, some think we'll look into Mike Sherman. I think Jim Tressel is an under the radar guy with a legit shot at the Bucs' job. Not saying he is on my list, but I would not be shocked at all if he brings his sweatervests to Tampa Bay.

Okay, here's the scenario: Tressel is the next coach of the Bucs and quickly steals Ted Ginn Jr. away from the 49ers. The Jags engineer a trade for Tebow. After a tough week three loss to the Texans, Tebow vows to play harder, work harder, try harder than any other QB in the NFL and promises we'll never see an NFL team try harder than the Jags. The Jags then go undefeated for the rest of the season on their way to their first Super Bowl birth. Meanwhile, in the NFC, coach Tressel's Buccaneers run the table and are 18-0 and heavy favorites to win the Super Bowl with the media sighting that Tebow isn't a Super Bowl caliber team since MJD did most of the work, rushing for an NFL record 2,132 yards. On the opening kickoff of Super Bowl XLVII, Teddy Ginn takes it back for a Super Bowl record 109 yard return for a TD. After that, Tebow and the Jacksonville Jaguars go on a 42-3 run to close out the game. Jacksonville proves to be just too athletic and fast for Tampa Bay as they look rusty from having the week off before the Super Bowl and Partying too much. :bookit:

http://mike-freeman.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6264363/34152588/1

But I'm told by a source close to Fisher that of all the jobs, two mainly intrigue him.

One is Indianapolis (though it's not certain the Colts will fire Jim Caldwell). Fisher, I'm told, loves the idea of coaching either Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck (or both). Well, yeah, of course he would. What coach wouldn't?

I'm told another top choice for Fisher is a surprising one--Tampa Bay. Fisher feels the roster is more talented than it shows.

Interesting. I hope we set up a meeting with Fisher soon. I know he met with the Rams yesterday and is in Miami today.

According to John Clayton, the Bucs will interview Jeff Fisher on Wednesday.

AND

@NFLSTROUD: Bucs plan to interview Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray. Will make Bucs compliant with the Rooney Rule

Bucs to interview Mike Sherman

TAMPA, Fla. – As expected, one of the first coaching candidates the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reaching out to is Mike Sherman. ESPN's John Clayton reports that the Bucs have made contact with Sherman and are working to schedule an interview in the next few days.

http://espn.go.com/b...to-mike-sherman

Edited by GoodellFTL

I imagine he liked the Colts because of their long term success and the offense. I can't imagine the defensive side looks too intriguing after this past season.

I think he's right about the Bucs having more talent than they showed. The secondary actually played well in 2010 even though the pass rush wasn't there. Something Fisher has always had is production from their D-line. He's gotten even average guys to produce there and I'm sure the Bucs D-line, if they can stay healthy, would play great under him. The offense is still missing a #1 WR, a speed back, and a coach that can work better with Freeman and actually call good plays. No more of this idiotic wildcat bullshit on 3rd downs and horrible screens. If he says no to the Bucs and it isn't about money I imagine it has to do with the defense and even a few guys on offense giving up when things got tough. I don't think any coach who sees that would feel 100% comfortable coming to Tampa.

I never followed Mike Sherman but his resume doesn't look too impressive imo. Can any Packers fans out there tell me how it was having him as a Head Coach?

I really don't like Sherman, I'm really worried he is going to be the guy. =/

According to John Clayton, the Bucs will interview Jeff Fisher on Wednesday.

AND

@NFLSTROUD: Bucs plan to interview Titans defensive coordinator Jerry Gray. Will make Bucs compliant with the Rooney Rule

Bucs can not has Gray. They can fuck off :yep:

Even if Jerry Gray is a Rooney Rule guy I wouldn't discount the Glazers hiring him. They've never been the type to do what everyone thinks they will.

Grey is just going to be interviewed for the Rooney Rule. He isn't what the Bucs are looking for in a new HC so chill out Alexis. :yep:

I really don't like Sherman, I'm really worried he is going to be the guy. =/

I have a bad feeling in my guy that it will be him too.

Also, I've only heard good things about Gray from Titans fans. Still not so sure if I'd want him as a HC though. Really hoping for Fisher.

I'm sure Grey is a good coach, but we don't want to replace Raheem with another inexperienced defensive coach.

With every minute I am more confident that we'll hire Mike Sherman, and that I'll puke all over the place.

Something I found interesting with us having the #5 pick. From 2000 - 2008 there's only be one true bust picked at that spot. The #4 pick the Browns beat us out on has had 5 true draft busts in that span. The last 2 drafts have had 2 rookie year pro bowlers picked at #5 as well.

NFLSTROUD Rick Stroud

Per ESPN's Chris Mortensen: Childress, Texans DC and former Cowboys coach Wade Phillips, Bengals DC Mike Zimmer also candidates for Bucs

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora

Brad Childress is indeed interviewing for the Bucs opening Mon. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up a coordinator in TB or CLE #insideslant

Edited by Shotgun

Good to see we are interested in Zimmer. I would love to have him as a HC. Not really feeling Phillips or Childress at all though for HC's.

Childress could end up as the Bucs' offensive coordinator on Sherman's staff if he's hired in Tampa, according to sources.

Look like Sherman is tied with Childress. Not so sure how much I would like this...

Edited by GoodellFTL

Per NFL.com:

Childress could join Bucs' staff as offensive coordinator

By Jason La Canfora NFL Network

NFL Network Insider

Published: Jan. 8, 2012 at 11:57 a.m. Updated: Jan. 8, 2012 at 01:29 p.m.

Former Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress will interview with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a coaching position Monday, according to a league source.

Childress joins Mike Sherman and Jerry Gray as coaches who have interviewed with the Bucs since Raheem Morris was fired. Numerous league sources expect Sherman to ultimately land the job, and a decision could come this week.

Childress could end up as the Bucs' offensive coordinator on Sherman's staff if he's hired in Tampa, according to sources. Childress also is under consideration for the Cleveland Browns' offensive coordinator position..