BLUE

Flacco believes he's overlooked in Ravens' success

Flacco is overlooked because if the Ravens were to win the championship, he'd replace Trent Dilfer as the worst QB to ever win a Super Bowl.

I think he's certainly just an average QB at this point in his career. Although people are so enamored over elite QB's these days my definition of average might meet their definition of bad. There's probably 15 guys I'd take over him, so he's still in the upper half. He's had a decent and sometimes good last couple of years, I'm not going to give him a bad label for having an off year.

Maybe he needs a better QB coach or better offense management. Maybe a bit of both. We've seen how well that's worked for Alex Smith. His #1 WR is at best a #2 and both tight ends are extremely average. I think part of his problem, and something that's possibly also stunting his growth, is him relying on Ray Rice way too often. That might also point to him having some confidence issues.

Ed Reed was on NFLradio earlier today, and he spoke pretty openly on Flacco. He said in this last game he felt Joe Flacco was raddled. The Texans were stacking the box and really getting to him. He said he didn't have a hold of the offense and didn't get rid of the ball like he should. However, he also mentioned how he might not have timing issues if the wide receivers ran their routes better.

Flacco is overlooked because if the Ravens were to win the championship, he'd replace Trent Dilfer as the worst QB to ever win a Super Bowl.

You've obviously never seen Trent Dilfer play.

Edited by Shotgun
  • Upvote 1

No he didnt, Ben had 21 and he also missed a game this year. So since we want to play the stats game Ben had 1 more TD 567 more Yards 63% completion percentage compared to Flacco's 57% in one less game played.

I checked that after I posted and realized I'd read 2010 as 2011 the last time I looked up Ben's stats. So indeed, Ben had 1 more TD pass. 1 TD pass means nothing. Ben has 3-4 sub-20 TD seasons. Flacco only has 1.

Speaking of Big Ben let's keep things in perspective and try to remember Ben's 2006 season. Just because a guy has a bad season doesn't mean he can't be great. Same goes for guys like Freeman and Bradford.

• Upvote 1

I checked that after I posted and realized I'd read 2010 as 2011 the last time I looked up Ben's stats. So indeed, Ben had 1 more TD pass. 1 TD pass means nothing. Ben has 3-4 sub-20 TD seasons. Flacco only has 1.

1 TD means nothing but 3 TDs does?(his 17tds in 2010 only playing 12 games) You started stats thing. You only commented on one stat too lol TDs.

Speaking of Big Ben let's keep things in perspective and try to remember Ben's 2006 season. Just because a guy has a bad season doesn't mean he can't be great. Same goes for guys like Freeman and Bradford.

You mean the season where he had his face reconstructed...k. I never argued wether Flacco was good or not good but ware is talking like flacco is some elite QB because of his stats. Stats ARE NOT the only thing that matters but he argued with stats that werent correct.(he later said why in a post)

Edited by SteelersNation36

I think he's certainly just an average QB at this point in his career. Although people are so enamored over elite QB's these days my definition of average might meet their definition of bad. There's probably 15 guys I'd take over him, so he's still in the upper half. He's had a decent and sometimes good last couple of years, I'm not going to give him a bad label for having an off year.

Maybe he needs a better QB coach or better offense management. Maybe a bit of both. We've seen how well that's worked for Alex Smith. His #1 WR is at best a #2 and both tight ends are extremely average. I think part of his problem, and something that's possibly also stunting his growth, is him relying on Ray Rice way too often. That might also point to him having some confidence issues.

Ed Reed was on NFLradio earlier today, and he spoke pretty openly on Flacco. He said in this last game he felt Joe Flacco was raddled. The Texans were stacking the box and really getting to him. He said he didn't have a hold of the offense and didn't get rid of the ball like he should. However, he also mentioned how he might not have timing issues if the wide receivers ran their routes better.

You've obviously never seen Trent Dilfer play.

Good post, I agree with a lot of this. First of all, we do not have a Quarterbacks coach, which I think is part of the problem. Flacco answers directly and solely to Cam Cameron, who gives him no opportunities to take control. It's also been suggested that the two of them don't really get along, which is never good. Most Ravens fans have wanted him fired for a long time, but Harbaugh defends him time after time.

I think Joe has decent weapons. Torrey Smith has potential to be great. Anquan Boldin is a great receiver, but he really should be in the slot more as a possession receiver. He hasn't really done us as much as we've expected him to over the past few years, but we'd be nowhere without him. Lee Evans was injured most of the season and has only had a few completions because he and Joe never really established much chemistry, but I believe he could be a good asset for us. Dennis Pitta is actually really underrated, IMO, he's a great tight end who's done a lot for us, especially in the second half of the season. Ed Dickson has a decent amount of drops and I think he needs to probably work on some stuff. Route running may definitely be a problem but it's hard to tell just from what we see on television. I think our reliance on Ray Rice may hurt his confidence but he needs to get over that if it's the case. Ray Rice will be in Baltimore for a very long time, possibly longer than Joe Flacco will. (I hope.) He will continue to be an essential part of this offense for years to come after he gets his deal done.

:rofl: at the Trent Dilfer comment. So true. Flacco is better than him.

I'll tell you who Flacco reminds me of. Drew Bledsoe. Dunno if you would call him good, but he certainly wasn't near the top level of QB's. He just threw a lot for no good reason.

1 TD means nothing but 3 TDs does?(his 17tds in 2010 only playing 12 games) You started stats thing. You only commented on one stat too lol TDs.

You mean the season where he had his face reconstructed...k. I never argued wether Flacco was good or not good but ware is talking like flacco is some elite QB because of his stats. Stats ARE NOT the only thing that matters but he argued with stats that werent correct.(he later said why in a post)

Have you read my posts, man? I never said elite. I said good, and I said good because people keep saying he sucks or is absolutely mediocre, and that's just not the case. He is not elite. He is not great, but on a level of above average to good, he's right there.

There you go again being totally enamroed with volume stats. In all of the stats that matter, ben is far superior to Joe Flacco. Not to mention, it is a well-known fact that bruce Arians is arguably the worst OC in the league.

I would assume that having as good of a running game as the Ravens have at times would allow Joe Flacco to be just as successful if not more than Aaron Rodgers is if he were wanting to be in the discussion there. Look at Eli Manning. It's obvious how much the Giants running game being a force has helped him. Quite honestly right now I look at Flacco the same way I look at guys like Matt Ryan and Jay Cutler.

They have all proved that they can make the throws needed to be an extremely successful quarterback in the NFL, yet they continue to make poor decisions in crucial game situations. And they also fail at times to truly lead their team. Until you make something of a big moment (Particularly in th playoffs) where your team needs a play from the quarterback to win a football game or win a superbowl, you will always be criticized. Up until this season, look at how much Eli Manning has been criticized, even with his superbowl ring.

I would assume that having as good of a running game as the Ravens have at times would allow Joe Flacco to be just as successful if not more than Aaron Rodgers is if he were wanting to be in the discussion there. Look at Eli Manning. It's obvious how much the Giants running game being a force has helped him. Quite honestly right now I look at Flacco the same way I look at guys like Matt Ryan and Jay Cutler.

They have all proved that they can make the throws needed to be an extremely successful quarterback in the NFL, yet they continue to make poor decisions in crucial game situations. And they also fail at times to truly lead their team. Until you make something of a big moment (Particularly in th playoffs) where your team needs a play from the quarterback to win a football game or win a superbowl, you will always be criticized. Up until this season, look at how much Eli Manning has been criticized, even with his superbowl ring.

Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning each have at least 3 legitimate WR targets. Flacco has one.

Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning each have at least 3 legitimate WR targets. Flacco has one.

I'll sit here and say that Torrey Smith is more than a legitimate receiver. Eli has Cruz and Nicks. Then there's a guy named Manningham who usually drops more passes than he catches. Not to mention, Torrey Smith will only get better. All I'm saying is that as much as defenses cheat up on Ray Rice and the running game, I have come to expect that Flacco would have better decision making skills. Give a quarterback in the top 5 that offense, WITH the defense as well giving him the ball and keeping opposing teams from scoring, and they would put up crazy numbers. That's just my opinion. This year has proved to me that Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are probably nothing more than game managers.

Ah, yet another successful image of myself eating crow.

It's already been said his face reconstruction did not affect his throwing that year, and a big reason for his poor season was locker room issues and him being the last one in and the first one out, not putting the work in. His face didn't throw 23 interceptions and I wasn't commenting on anyone specific, just on the running theme around here that QB's who have one bad season in an early career are automatically labeled as being bad, when a lot of times they just aren't in an optimal position to excel. Sometimes that's their own fault and other times they don't have the surrounding cast or the proper coaches/FO. Not sure why you took my post and thought I was directing it at you.

And how many does Alex Smith have?

Crabtree and Davis are pretty legit. I didn't realize this topic was about Top 1 though.

Crabtree and Davis are pretty legit. I didn't realize this topic was about Top 1 though.

Well he said WR. Need Kyle Williams to have a huge game. :yep:

Joe Flacco seems to be the Jay Cutler of this year.

It's already been said his face reconstruction did not affect his throwing that year, and a big reason for his poor season was locker room issues and him being the last one in and the first one out, not putting the work in. His face didn't throw 23 interceptions and I wasn't commenting on anyone specific, just on the running theme around here that QB's who have one bad season in an early career are automatically labeled as being bad, when a lot of times they just aren't in an optimal position to excel. Sometimes that's their own fault and other times they don't have the surrounding cast or the proper coaches/FO. Not sure why you took my post and thought I was directing it at you.

I replied to it cause i thought we were having a discussion, you know you, me and ware cause us 3 were the ones posting at the time about ben. Sorry for replying to it.

Edited by SteelersNation36

Ben had three concussions that season and an appendectomy.

More whining...

Flacco: "I'll be wearing a ring and holding the trophy and the perception (of me) won't change. I really don't care."

Obviously you do care very much, Joe lmao.

Wow... in a rare game that the Ravens could be the heralded underdogs, they are doing everything they can pregame to fuck that up.