Sign in to follow this  
BucD

Buccaneers Hire Greg Schiano As New HC

Per ESPN:

January, 26, 2012

By Pat Yasinskas

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are close to a deal to make Rutgers coach Greg Schiano their next coach.

I just spoke with a league source, who said the interest is “very legitimate’’, but said no deal is done. But Mike Sherman, who had a second interview with the Bucs yesterday, reportedly is in Miami, interviewing for the Dolphins’ offensive coordinator job Thursday, so that lends even more credence to this story.

The Bucs had interviewed eight least eight candidates with lengthy NFL experience. But hiring a college coach wouldn’t be totally out of character. The Bucs did attempt to hire Oregon’s Chip Kelly before he reportedly pulled himself from consideration.

@AdamSchefter (Adam Schefter):

Filed to ESPN: Tampa Bay plans to hire Rutgers coach Greg Schiano as the next Buccaneers head coach. Two sides trying to finalize contract.

WOW!!

Edited by BucD

I LOVE this hire! LOVE IT!

Also...looks like it's official...

@McMurphyCBS (Brett McMurphy) Sources told @CBSSports Rutgers' Greg Schiano has accepted Bucs job

After missing out on Chip Kelly, I think settling for Mike Sherman would have been awful, so I think this is a pretty decent hire. I mean, if you're going to explore the college ranks, Schiano seems like a pretty good choice.

@MikeMcCartney7 (Mike McCartney):

I worked with Greg Schiano for 5 years. He is a great coach and turning #Rutgers into relevance is pretty amazing per their history.

YES! NO MIKE SHERMAN!

Main reason why I am so happy.

Only thing I wouldn't like about this is if he brings the rest of his Rutgers staff over.

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter

Now official: After finalizing a five-year deal, the Buccaneers officially have hired Greg Schiano as their next head coach.

Edited by GoodellFTL

@AdamSchefter (Adam Schefter):

Now official: After finalizing a five-year deal, the Buccaneers officially have hired Greg Schiano as their next head coach.

DwightFistPump.gif

Surprising move but I am excited about it. I really wanted a defensive minded head coach who would toughen up our team and fix that shitty defense. I remember when he was the d-coordinator of the U and they were dominant. He coached the likes of Dan Morgan, Jonathan Vilma and Ed Reed.

It took him some time to rebuild Rutgers but the Bucs have solid, young talent in place that should allow him to produce quicker than 3-4 years.

Glad we finally got our coach wrapped up, and in typical Glazer fashion it's someone the media never reported on. Now I'm interested in who they decide to bring in as OC.

I cannot wait for his press conference...

I just KNEW the Sherman stuff was bullshit, the Glazers don't work like that. Another out of nowhere ninja move and it appears this one won't fall through. Happy to have Schiano in Tampa Bay. I'm interested in seeing his staff, early talk is Butch Davis will be DC but we'll see. Appearently some of his position coaches at Rutgers may come with him, but it doesn't sound like he'll take coordinators.

Its good to finally hear you have a coach.

As for OC I think Hue Jackson is still out there and he could do wonders with Freeman and Blount I think.

On a side note. The Saints have been ousted in the playoffs the last 2 years by "college" coaches. Wonder if that had anything to do with it :rolleyes:

Butch Davis and Hue Jackson for the coordinator positions? Oh my. :yep:

Butch Davis and Hue Jackson for the coordinator positions? Oh my. :yep:

I was thinking the same exact thing :yep:

I'd be so pumped if we could get them.

Another option for DC is Del Rio.

Rutgers lost more then the Bucs gained imo.

Although, apparently, Belichick was the one who referred the Bucs to Greg so maybe there's something there...

@NFLSTROUD (Rick Stroud): Per Kent Somers, Arizona Republic, Bucs seeking permission to interview Cards WRs coach John McNulty

@NFLSTROUD (Rick Stroud): McNulty was the former Rutgers offensive coordinator under new Bucs coach Greg Schiano

Per ESPN(NFCSouth Blog):

The scouting report on Greg Schiano

January, 26, 2012

By Pat Yasinskas

As I’ve been reading up on new Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano, I’ve been paying close attention to coaches that have worked with him and players that have played with him.

There was one name that jumped out at me because he’s one of the people I respect most in the entire NFL world. Besides, he’s now a scout, so who is better than a scout to provide a scouting report on Schiano.

I called Dan Morgan, who now is a scout with the Seattle Seahawks. I had the pleasure of covering Morgan during his career as a linebacker with the Carolina Panthers. Morgan also played linebacker for the University of Miami when Schiano was the defensive coordinator there for two years. Schiano was there for Morgan’s junior and senior seasons.

“Greg was my coach, but, in later years, he’s become a very good friend,’’ Morgan said. “We’ve stayed in touch through the years and I couldn’t be happier for him. The fans in Tampa Bay might not fully realize it just yet, but they just got themselves a heck of a coach.’’

Morgan credits Schiano for helping make him an All-American and a first-round pick by the Panthers in 2001.

“Playing under him, I learned a ton,’’ Morgan said. “I give him most of the credit for really developing my football intelligence. From my junior year to my senior year, I started really seeing the game and anticipating things and that’s all due to Greg’s influence.’’

I know a lot of fans are questioning Schiano because he has spent most of his time as a college coach, aside from a three-year stint with the Chicago Bears. That’s why I asked Morgan if he thinks Schiano can make a successful transition to the NFL.

“A good football coach is a good football coach,’’ Morgan said. “Sure, there may be some minor adjustments to the NFL, but Greg’s a smart guy and he’ll make those without any problem. The biggest thing is that he’s a great leader of men. He has the football knowledge and he knows how to bring the whole locker room together and get people on the same page and buying in.’’

Morgan said Schiano doesn’t fit any certain stereotype and flexibility is one of his strengths.

“He’s very intense and he’s great with Xs and Os," Morgan said. “But he also makes the game fun. He’s one of those guys that will yell when the situation calls for it. But he also can be a real encouraging guy when the situation calls for that.

“He’s going to bring discipline on and off the field,’’ Morgan said. “He’s not a true drill-sergeant type. But he knows how to handle players and people. He’ll respect his players and he’ll expect it back from them. He’ll get it, too, because he’s just a guy that kind of commands respect and you want to play hard for him and you never want to let him down."

YES! No more worries about Chud going to a division rival. :)

Dan Morgan was fantastic, it's too bad his career was so short.

YES! No more worries about Chud going to a division rival. :)

Dan Morgan was fantastic, it's too bad his career was so short.

I think he could have been a HOF. I was a big fan of his.

Dominik did an interview on nfl sirius/xm radio while I was parked so I took some notes on it. He said they spoke to a lot of people around the league about Greg, not just Belichick. Also said they wanted to keep the whole thing private specifically because of National Signing Day being around the corner. Talked about how everyone in the league knows that guys coming out of rutgers are always ready for the NFL and how he runs an NFL style program in college.

As for his play calling and overall coaching, he expects he'll be very involved with the defense but will also work with the offense and special teams. On the defensive side the team with be sticking to the 4-3. He sees a lot of Monte Kiffin type stuff with his playcalling, whatever that means. He apparently also likes to blitz quite a bit. On offense he expects he'll use Freeman's strengths more, like using his legs to extend plays. He likes to use a lot of tough running (power-backs) and play-action pass routes. He takes shots down field.

He also mentioned they'll be starting on hiring staff tomorrow.

It ended with Pat Kirwan shmoozing to Dominik about doing a "quality job" with the hiring even though earlier in the program he obviously disliked it.

Edited by Shotgun