Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Reed hints he wants new contract from Ravens

Per Rotoworld.com:

Ravens FS Ed Reed indicated in a Wednesday interview with 105.7 The Fan that he wants a new contract from Baltimore.

"I got a lot on my mind I’ve been thinking about," said Reed, who's due a $7.2 million base salary in the last year of his deal. "The truth of the matter is, it’s about respect. It’s about getting respect and it’s a business." Reed also asked for a new contract last offseason. "And I know if I’m giving my heart to football, it’s going to take a toll on my later life," he said. "My family has got to be taken care of. I don’t want to hear that I’m getting old. I don’t want to hear that." Apr 5 - 11:25 AM

Source: baltimoreravens.com

Personally, I hope the Ravens do give him a new contract. He's a major reason why that defense is so tough.

Gettin old.

I clarify that he deserves a bump, I just wouldnt do anything long term. Give him 4 years with incentives and see how it goes. As an eght-time Pro Bowler and All-Pro, 2004 AFC and NFL Defensive Player of the Year, three-time NFL interception leader, and Sporting News All-Decade Team, he's going to be a HoF. He should finish out his career as a Raven.

Structure it exactly the same as Troy Polamalu's contract. 4 years, 36 Mil. something like that. Same caliber player (basically), reasonably close to the same contract. Then he can't argue about respect.

Well he's on the last year of a 6 year 44 million contract (7.2 Mill Base, 1.25 salary bonus, and a 1.575 misc bonus). I'm sure he'd like to get a contract to keep him a raven, but there's nothing wrong with his pay scale right now.

Bitch was threatening to retire a couple times in the past few years and now he wants money and respect? He has comments as recent as last year saying he's not sure if he'll hang it up before 2012. Seems like a desperate attempt at cashing in one last time before he calls it quits.

Also, before all you faggots tell me I'm just a hater...I like Ed Reed and always have. He's one of the few Ravens I have ever liked, though I am not adverse to calling anyone out.

Bitch was threatening to retire a couple times in the past few years and now he wants money and respect? He has comments as recent as last year saying he's not sure if he'll hang it up before 2012. Seems like a desperate attempt at cashing in one last time before he calls it quits.

Also, before all you faggots tell me I'm just a hater...I like Ed Reed and always have. He's one of the few Ravens I have ever liked, though I am not adverse to calling anyone out.

I dont think your hating. You're right. He was unsure how much longer he wanted to play, hasn't been healthy and even talked about losing passion for the game. So to now be asking for a new contract is kind of a shitty move on his part in an attempt to get one more "big check" before he retires.

Granted hes still plays at a pretty high level and is top 5 at the position IMO. Hes just a gifted athlete with a high football IQ and great instincts.

As a die hard Ravens fan it would suck to lose Reed, but for a guy who one year ago was 50/50 about retirement....sorry no dice. You will play out the rest of your contract and show me you still want to be here and then next year I will give you a back loaded deal but dont think your history is worth mortgaging the future.

I love Ed but this is a sorry as move on his part, Even though he is a vet and all pro he needs to remember what team he made his name with. No man is above the team....except Ray...even then it is close.

He needs to make sure his family is ok?

What's happened to all the millions he's made in the past? You think he'd have more than enough to the point his grandchildren's great grandchildren wouldn't have to worry.

Athletes spend money differently than regular people.

^ You should've just told the truth: They are dumb with money.

^ You should've just told the truth: They are dumb with money.

You should've just been clear: They are dumb.

Well they aren't dumb when it comes to making money, but they are when it comes to spending it. ha