Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Elite Head Coach or Elite QB?

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important to long-term team success?

• Elite Head Coach
    • Elite QB

If you had to choose one, which would you choose to have the best long term success? I went with Elite QB, but I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on the subject.

Edited by GoodellFTL

Elite QB, because he's the coach on the field, audibling and executing the plays.

The Indianapolis Colts won the AFC with Jim Caldwell as their head coach.

'nuff said

• Upvote 2

I think I can think of more elite QBs with crappy HCs than I can elite HCs with crappy QBs that have won a championship. I went with elite QB. blots pointed to the perfect example. In NE you have both an elite QB and an elite coach - recipe for success.

echo the sentiments of others. Take the elite QB. I think its also easier to get a very good or elite coach than it is to acquire an elite QB too.

I don't really think this is that much of a nucklebuster question. We've all seen it happen where an elite QB get's a new coach and the team remains fine. However, we've also seen when an Elite QB leaves a so called "Elite Coach" and the team goes from top dog to middle road real quick.

Like TrueBlue said,elite QB is the coach on the field..He's the one that makes clutch plays..Elite QB all the way..

I will go the opposite and say elite HC. I think Brady is a great QB, that said when he went down they went down with Matt Cassel. He has proved to be less than elite outside of BB's system.

The Steeler's still did pretty well with with Batch because their coach adjusted fire.

I think the snafu here is that there really arent many elite coaches. People have great teams and assume they are a great coach. As evidenced by Tony Dungy, people thought he was a great coach but when he left they were still contenders. I understand this points to the QB in this case, which it does. But the players made that coach. That is not an elite coach.

Guys like Bill Parcells would take guys who fit what he did and made a living turning franchises around. Chad Pennington anybody ?

I am anything but a Pats fan but BB is one of 4 elite coaches in this league in my opinion, and they could all do well without their starter.

Super Bowl winning head coaches, last 10 years:

Bill Belichick (2)

Tom Coughlin (2)

Mike McCarthy

Sean Payton

Mike Tomlin

Tony Dungy

Bill Cowher

Jon Gruden

Super Bowl winning quarterbacks, last 10 years:

Eli Manning (2)

Ben Roethlisberger (2)

Tom Brady (2)

Aaron Rodgers

Drew Brees

Peyton Manning

Brad Johnson

Based on this, I'd say you definitely need to be strong at both positions, but I echo the sentiment of most in this thread in that if I could only have one be "elite," I'll take the QB.

On one hand, Elite QB can still win games (long as there are good players around him) with a crappy HC.

On the other hand, an Elite HC can keep a team in the game is the QB goes down with injury and an Elite HC can't be knocked out of the game.