Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Losers of Day 1?

Losers for me are Seahawks and 49ers.

Both teams reached for guys that wouldn't have been taken until the 2nd or 3rd.

Mel Kiper called the decision of the Seahawks to take West Virginia defensive end Bruce Irvin with the 15th pick in the draft “mind boggling.” It shouldn’t have been.

Per a league source, at least seven teams had Irvin rated as one of the top 15 players available in the draft.

It’s no coincidence that we had Irvin in round one of the PFT and PFT Live mock drafts.

The knock on Irvin was that he lacks the size to contribute against the run. But he has shown an uncanny ability to get to passer during two years at West Virginia.

He’ll get a chance to continue to chase quarterbacks in the NFC West, as a member of the Seattle Seahawks.[/Quote]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/at-least-seve-teams-had-bruce-irvin-in-top-15/

I do not like the Browns drafting a running back at #3 overall. Securing Brandon Weeden who will start right away might put them on the other side of the fence.

I'm gonna say San Fran. I have no idea who the guy they picked is. There were too many receivers taken in the first round.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can't say the Browns because picking TR was a great addition. But the selction of Weeden kinda tanks it.

Also, I think it's kinda odd that despite all the whining and moaning the Titans fans had towards the interior of the Oline being the absolute worst in terms of run blocking, with DeCastro on the board, they decide to go WR.

How about the New York Jets?

The Jets definitely needed a pass rusher. A guy who can move around and is versatile. Somebody who can cause havoc from multiple spots and cause consternation for opposing offenses.

And as far as rushers available, the Jets had the ability to pick from ANY OF THEM. Except Bruce Irvin.

And who do they pick? The nut job Quinton Coples who is not overly dynamic.

I didn't like the outlook of Coples career before the draft, and I like it even less now that he has a team.

How about the New York Jets?

The Jets definitely needed a pass rusher. A guy who can move around and is versatile. Somebody who can cause havoc from multiple spots and cause consternation for opposing offenses.

And as far as rushers available, the Jets had the ability to pick from ANY OF THEM. Except Bruce Irvin.

And who do they pick? The nut job Quinton Coples who is not overly dynamic.

I didn't like the outlook of Coples career before the draft, and I like it even less now that he has a team.

Not to mention the fact that a guy with seemingly no motivation ends up on a defense where there's almost no leadership. Isn't exactly a recipe for success. lol.

Not to mention the fact that a guy with seemingly no motivation ends up on a defense where there's almost no leadership. Isn't exactly a recipe for success. lol.

Ya, the Jets are going to have to constantly put effort into motivating Coples and they have to MAKE HIM want to play. Not only does their lack of leadership on the team not help that... but the entire Jets staff is kind of a organized chaos kind of thing. Definitely not the best environment for Coples, and arguably one of the worst fits of Round 1.

Can't say the Browns because picking TR was a great addition. But the selction of Weeden kinda tanks it.

Also, I think it's kinda odd that despite all the whining and moaning the Titans fans had towards the interior of the Oline being the absolute worst in terms of run blocking, with DeCastro on the board, they decide to go WR.

Trust me, a second round center is better then Amano.. lol Plus we have Hutchinson now and if we get a center in the center round, which im sure thats what well do reaching or not. My pick for loser of day 1 is the Dolphins. I say them for now anyways, because they picked up a QB who is a 3rd round type QB. He prob wont start tho, so that makes it even worse for now. However lets say in 2 years he gets a chance and ends up being the starter for good it woulda been a good down the line pick. Just someone who isnt going to help you now/this year.

As for Weeden i actually liek the pick. I think hell be solid forreal. Hes older then any rookie, and QBs arent ever to old to get better. Theres QB's that play up to age 38 and that would give him 10 years.

I didn't like what the Browns ultimately ended up with. The players they got aren't bad obviously, but they play in a run-stuffing division and don't have any good receivers for their going to be 28 year old QB. Personally I don't like the return value they're getting.

Trust me, a second round center is better then Amano.. lol Plus we have Hutchinson now and if we get a center in the center round, which im sure thats what well do reaching or not. My pick for loser of day 1 is the Dolphins. I say them for now anyways, because they picked up a QB who is a 3rd round type QB. He prob wont start tho, so that makes it even worse for now. However lets say in 2 years he gets a chance and ends up being the starter for good it woulda been a good down the line pick. Just someone who isnt going to help you now/this year.

As for Weeden i actually liek the pick. I think hell be solid forreal. Hes older then any rookie, and QBs arent ever to old to get better. Theres QB's that play up to age 38 and that would give him 10 years.

Weeden's not a great pick, not because he may not be good, but because he still would have been there in round 2 if the Browns wanted him.

Tannehill would not have been there in round 2 if the Phins wanted him. I think that was a bit of a desperation move, not sure they really had that much of a choice, though.

I didn't like what the Browns ultimately ended up with. The players they got aren't bad obviously, but they play in a run-stuffing division and don't have any good receivers for their going to be 28 year old QB. Personally I don't like the return value they're getting.

I agree completely. Even if TR is special, their line is still shit outside of Mack and Thomas. That and, as I was arguing with Thanatos before, I don't think that taking a RB in the 1st is ever really a great move unless he is the undisputed BPA at your pick in the latter part of the 1st. Runningbacks tend to get injured and fall off the map and they can easily be found in mid-late rounds.

Weeden was a shit pick as well, imo. He's 28, so he won't hit his prime until he's what, 35? Add to that the fact that they have no receivers for him to throw to and 3/5 of his line is shit and he's got his work cut out for him.

• Upvote 1

Unless Weeden can immediately come in and be a solid starter, that was a really dumb pick. It would still be dumb even if that was the case, since he would have been there in round 2.

• Upvote 1

This is why the Falcons traded with the Browns...we might of traded extra picks away...but at least we're getting a great player out of the trade. To me, what the Browns did yesterday was moronic to say the least. T-Rich is a great player....but you are playing in the best run-stuffing division in the NFL, not to mention...Weeden has absolutely nobody to throw to. Overall, wasted picks to move to 3, and wasted pick on a 28 yr. old reject who you could've gotten later and addressed your desperate need at WR or offensive line.

• Upvote 1

Weeden was so good in college because his body is just that much more mature than his competition. He had the edge physically and mentally. If he put up poor statistics, then you should be worried.

But he is still going to have a transition period to the NFL. It won't be as rough as most of the other players in the draft in all likelihood, but he isn't going to just come in.. Throw for a bunch of yards, have an elite TD:INT ratio, and lead the Browns to the playoffs.

Dude is going to be 30 before he even fully transitions.

This is why the Falcons traded with the Browns...we might of traded extra picks away...but at least we're getting a great player out of the trade. To me, what the Browns did yesterday was moronic to say the least. T-Rich is a great player....but you are playing in the best run-stuffing division in the NFL, not to mention...Weeden has absolutely nobody to throw to. Overall, wasted picks to move to 3, and wasted pick on a 28 yr. old reject who you could've gotten later and addressed your desperate need at WR or offensive line.

What makes the pick even worse is that they passed on Stephen Hill in the second round. They still could have gotten a good, first-round talent WR, which to me would have pretty much negated the Weeden pick because I think the Browns would have gotten both of them anyway, just in reverse order.

But they pass on Hill, and so now they have failed to address the WR spot with a solid starter.

Hillis ran pretty good vs the Ravens and Steelers. Just saying. Is TRich better or worse than Hillis?

Hillis ran pretty good vs the Ravens and Steelers. Just saying. Is TRich better or worse than Hillis?

Pre or Post Curse? lol

Pre or Post Curse? lol

heheh. Let's say before.

He may of ran decent, but you still have a combined record of 0-8 against both of your division rivals in the past two years. You need more than just a RB, you need an offense that is dynamic. Put the best RB in the Browns backfield. He's not going to get your team wins single handedly, especially in your division. Browns take the cake for worst draft so far. Deal with it.