Sign in to follow this  
NaTaS

NFL Power Rankings - Post Draft

His first muffed punt happened in the 4th quarter deep in their own territory while SF was leading. Changed the whole game, bud.

There was 11 minutes left in the fourth quarter, and outside of 2 big plays, their offense pitiful. Whose to say they dont go 3 and out, punt and we get the ball at mid field anyway, bud.

Using what if's in a 1 score game, with 11 minutes to go, in the NFCCG, is ridiculous.

So even with the upgrade at corner and on the line (Probably right guard), you still have the Falcons behind the Saints in the division?

Just because the Falcons drafted an offensive lineman in the 2nd round, doesn't make them better than the Saints. I could see them ending up better for a variety of reasons, but I don't think a rookie will automatically make them jump over anyone. He is a rookie and nobody really knows how good or bad rookies will be until they step on the field.

Eh... I tend to agree that the Giants weren't and aren't the best team. I do think they had a nice draft and are serious contenders to win again but not the best team and certainly not I could be proven wrong this season but they were a wishy washy team last year until the end. They were out scored by their opponents during the regular season, and sure they finished with a 6 game win streak but despite racking "all" of those wins they still managed to finish with less wins on the total season than every other division winner in the NFC as well as the Patriots. We all know that the NFL playoffs are not set up to find the best team they're meant for exciting story lines and cinderellas like the NCAA tourney. I don't think that you have to be the best team to win the championship nor do I think the winner of the Super Bowl should ever be assumed to be the best team when making the next season's power rankings.

when not every player is putting the best effort every down

Been watching to much NBA.

Edited by GA_Eagle

There was 11 minutes left in the fourth quarter, and outside of 2 big plays, their offense pitiful. Whose to say they dont go 3 and out, punt and we get the ball at mid field anyway, bud.

Using what if's in a 1 score game, with 11 minutes to go, in the NFCCG, is ridiculous.

I'm not using any ''what ifs''. I'm saying it changed the outlook of the game, which in fact, it did.

But please, go on to say that the Giants didn't get lucky at all LOL.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Been watching to much NBA.

If they put the best effort every down in the regular season, the competition in playoff games wouldn't be so much better. Games that happen during the regular season like the Rams beating the Saints happen because one team is trying a lot harder and the other isn't trying as much.

If the other teams were actually better, they would have won the Super Bowl. The Giants had a lot of injuries and other issues they got over, and once they did they beat every good team when it mattered. If a team like the Packers were better they wouldn't have lost 37-20. The better and most balanced team won. They beat 2 teams with good offenses, but mediocre to downright bad defenses, and one with a good defense and a very average offense. In all three games those were their downfalls. If that doesn't make the Giants a better overall team you guys need to rethink your definition.

• Upvote 1

I'm not using any ''what ifs''. I'm saying it changed the outlook of the game, which in fact, it did.

But please, go on to say that the Giants didn't get lucky at all LOL.

Not saying that at all. What teams haven't had a little bit of luck somewhere on their way to the Superbowl?

Simply saying to "rank" a team they beat twice in one season ahead of them is asinine.

With the coach suspensions the Saints shouldn't have been ahead to begin with, but considering they didn't factor that into their previous ranking I don't see why a draft pick and the most overrated CB in the league would be the difference maker.

And the Falcons moving up isn't even the biggest problem with the list. I think there's a few other teams like the Eagles moving up 5 spots that make it pretty ridiculous.

Explain to me how Asante Samuelis threw most over rated corner. We have arguably the best defensive back group I'm the NFC now.

It must be because hes a Falcon now. The guy covers. The times he gets burned are when he takes jumps and misjudges. You know why he is seen getting burned? Because he takes chances ob big turnovers.

Explain to me how Asante Samuelis threw most over rated corner. We have arguably the best defensive back group I'm the NFC now.

It must be because hes a Falcon now. The guy covers. The times he gets burned are when he takes jumps and misjudges. You know why he is seen getting burned? Because he takes chances ob big turnovers.

Yes Asante is wildly overrated. I would like to know how he is not. Receivers still have big games against him. He is terrible in press coverage. He is getting old. His makeup speed is not what it used to be so he cant afford to take as many risks as he does. Yeah the dude is overrated. When people say he is top 5 I cant help but laugh. If they said he was an average corner who is great in the zone and will let up big plays but will also make some then I would be cool with it. If he is in the top 5 though I discredit anything that person says from there on.

He isn't actually as overrated as people make him out to be. I called him "the most overrated CB in the league" because that's what everyone says. It had a touch of sarcasm in my head. If anything it's so popular to say he's probably a bit underrated now. Still, I don't see him making much of a difference between you guys being #2 or #1 in the division (According to ESPN). It takes a lot more good play from everyone.

Not saying that at all. What teams haven't had a little bit of luck somewhere on their way to the Superbowl?

Simply saying to "rank" a team they beat twice in one season ahead of them is asinine.

So then... the Redskins should be ranked ahead of the Giants.

So then... the Redskins should be ranked ahead of the Giants.

Don't cherry pick. Obviously a totally different scenario

People are consistently saying he sucks, he got traded for a 7th round pick... And yet Asante Samuel is still being considered overrated?

He isn't that bad... lol...

If they put the best effort every down in the regular season, the competition in playoff games wouldn't be so much better. Games that happen during the regular season like the Rams beating the Saints happen because one team is trying a lot harder and the other isn't trying as much.

If that's your evidence that teams are playing harder I think you need to reexamine the results of the competition. There are playoff and super bowl blowouts all the time , but we tend to remember the good games because they are, well, memorable.

The increase in competition may also be the result of better teams playing each other and weeding out the teams that aren't up to snuff.

If the other teams were actually better, they would have won the Super Bowl. The Giants had a lot of injuries and other issues they got over, and once they did they beat every good team when it mattered. If a team like the Packers were better they wouldn't have lost 37-20. The better and most balanced team won. They beat 2 teams with good offenses, but mediocre to downright bad defenses, and one with a good defense and a very average offense. In all three games those were their downfalls. If that doesn't make the Giants a better overall team you guys need to rethink your definition.

I don't, for a second, think the Broncos were better than the Steelers but they won in the playoffs. A win doesn't necessarily mean the team is better for the season but they were better on that day.

edit: I also don't want this to take away from the Giants win. I really do think this Super Bowl run was nothing short of amazing and I gained a ton of respect for Eli Manning and Tom Coughlin, as well as the rest of the Giants team, even if it hurts a little to say that.

Edited by GA_Eagle

If that's your evidence that teams are playing harder I think you need to reexamine the results of the competition. There are playoff and super bowl blowouts all the time , but we tend to remember the good games because they are, well, memorable.

The increase in competition may also be the result of better teams playing each other and weeding out the teams that aren't up to snuff.

These days pretty much all of them involve a good team beating up on a team everyone is pretty sure isn't going on to the next round. I don't think every team puts the same amount of effort into the first week or 2 of the playoffs, for example that Seahawks vs Saints game a couple years ago. One team overlooked the other and didn't put enough effort into winning.

A win doesn't necessarily mean the team is better for the season but they were better on that day.

So how can a team that's worse magically be better on one day than a team that is better? You think they made a wish? Did Allah grant them the ability to make all those awesome plays all of a sudden?

No, they just played harder than they had the other games, and the other team didn't play as hard.

A worse team like the Rams can't be better that day unless they played harder than the other team.

Go watch the first Bucs game against the Falcons and the last one and tell me if you think they gave it all every snap in both games.

Go watch the Ravens games and tell me if they played just as hard against San Diego, Tennessee, or Jacksonville as they did against Pittsburgh.

There is far more evidence that teams try harder in some games than others, or even on separate snaps. I've seen plenty of linemen, receivers, safeties, and corner backs take plays off first hand, and teams have scored or not scored because of it.

• Upvote 2

Just to throw in my two cents this is a power rankings (a fail one at that) for the earliest point in the 2012 season. Not the 2011 season, where the Giants would be #1 without a doubt as they won it all. According to you, NYGFH, the Giants FO has done a shitty job during this offseason so, generally speaking, that drops them a few spots. Where as teams like the Packers, 49ers, and Patriots have done really nice jobs filling holes on their team, moving them up a few spots. I'm not going to give you my top 5 because frankly it's too early for me to make it. And in reality you won one, maybe two good games in the post season. Atlanta and Green Bay played like shit so there really wasn't even competition for you. Simply just went in, diddled a few assholes, and proceeded to the next round. It's not like you guys were the all-mighty "world beaters" last year lol.

Anyways, going into 2012, I don't think the Giants are the best team in the NFL.

And winning the Super Bowl doesn't give you an automatic #1 spot. IIRC I put the Packers are #3 in my power rankings last year (pre-season one) behind the Patriots and I think Steelers. That was like a year ago so I don't remember though.

These days pretty much all of them involve a good team beating up on a team everyone is pretty sure isn't going on to the next round. I don't think every team puts the same amount of effort into the first week or 2 of the playoffs, for example that Seahawks vs Saints game a couple years ago. One team overlooked the other and didn't put enough effort into winning.

That's kind of a blanket statement. You're making generalizations to make a point. So I'll do the work for you.

Since the 2000 season there have been 51 playoff games decided by 14 points or more. That's an average of over 4 games per playoffs. With a 11 playoff games per year that's inching up to close to a half of all playoff games being decided by 2 touchdown or more.

Of those 51 games, 31 came after the wildcard round, when the, so called, weak competition should be eliminated. That's over half of these losses.

12 games in the conference championship or Super Bowl have been wins by 14 or more. An average of about 1 per season over the past twelve years in the final two rounds of the playoffs or about 1 out of every three games of the two championship rounds.

Big wins happen in the playoffs and not all of the games are good and don't always involve teams thought to be pretenders, hell in fact, one of those teams everyone thought was a pretender won the Super Bowl last year :shrug: Guess they showed us.

So how can a team that's worse magically be better on one day than a team that is better? You think they made a wish? Did Allah grant them the ability to make all those awesome plays all of a sudden?

No, they just played harder than they had the other games, and the other team didn't play as hard.

A worse team like the Rams can't be better that day unless they played harder than the other team.

Go watch the first Bucs game against the Falcons and the last one and tell me if you think they gave it all every snap in both games.

Go watch the Ravens games and tell me if they played just as hard against San Diego, Tennessee, or Jacksonville as they did against Pittsburgh.

There is far more evidence that teams try harder in some games than others, or even on separate snaps. I've seen plenty of linemen, receivers, safeties, and corner backs take plays off first hand, and teams have scored or not scored because of it.

So now you are including the regular season as a time when some teams give their all? What is the point you're arguing? There are literally millions of factors at play in every game... it could be a team plays harder on a given snap or it could be a coaching adjustment or it could be a QB that found a weakness, it could be plain stupid blind luck and on and on and on.

My comment about the NBA and teams playing differently holds true. There may be a marginal effort increase from regular season to playoff time but there is very little holding back in the NFL, because the season is too short and the stakes are too high even in the regular season there are very few comfortable leads in a division race etc etc etc.

I'm not sure how that little comment got us so off target here... Reply to Badger and lets not worry about who's trying hard and who isn't.

Edited by GA_Eagle
  • Upvote 1

That's kind of a blanket statement. You're making generalizations to make a point. So I'll do the work for you.

Since the 2000 season there have been 51 playoff games decided by 14 points or more. That's an average of over 4 games per playoffs. With a 11 playoff games per year that's inching up to close to a half of all playoff games being decided by 2 touchdown or more.

Of those 51 games, 31 came after the wildcard round, when the, so called, weak competition should be eliminated. That's over half of these losses.

12 games in the conference championship or Super Bowl have been wins by 14 or more. An average of about 1 per season over the past twelve years in the final two rounds of the playoffs or about 1 out of every three games of the two championship rounds.

Big wins happen in the playoffs and not all of the games are good and don't always involve teams thought to be pretenders, hell in fact, one of those teams everyone thought was a pretender won the Super Bowl last year :shrug: Guess they showed us.

So now you are including the regular season as a time when some teams give their all? What is the point you're arguing? There are literally millions of factors at play in every game... it could be a team plays harder on a given snap or it could be a coaching adjustment or it could be a QB that found a weakness, it could be plain stupid blind luck and on and on and on.

My comment about the NBA and teams playing differently holds true. There may be a marginal effort increase from regular season to playoff time but there is very little holding back in the NFL, because the season is too short and the stakes are too high even in the regular season there are very few comfortable leads in a division race etc etc etc.

I'm not sure how that little comment got us so off target here... Reply to Badger and lets not worry about who's trying hard and who isn't.

My entire point is that for some games, especially in the regular season, some teams give it there all and some teams don't. I'm not saying it happens every week for a team but it happens at least once or twice for most. There may be millions of factors but when a team is obviously outplayed by an obviously inferior team, it's again obvious that they didn't try their hardest. A ball can bounce the wrong way a couple times in a game and a good team can beat another good team by 14 points in the playoffs because of it, that doesn't mean when a bad team beats a good team by 14 points that they "just happened to be better that day."

I can't be the only one here that's heard straight from players mouths after a loss that they looked past a team and didn't give it their all. If that's not evidence enough I don't know what to tell you. I never said anything about them taking off more or less than NBA teams, but the thought that they don't do it at all is an obvious ignorance of evidence to the contrary.

But yeah, this is way off topic so I'll just stop here.

Edited by Shotgun
  • Upvote 1

lol Power Rankings in early May.

:yeahthat: Totally stupid, and pointless. But, that's ESPN for you.

lol Power Rankings in early May.

It's a football message board bro. lolyou

• Upvote 1