SteVo

Top 50 Films of the 21st Century (to Date)

eww King Kong.

• Upvote 1

did The Illusionist find a spot on this list, SteVo? Was it considered?

Not ball-busting anymore. Just curious. You're definitely doing a combination of both quality and box-office effect, and I guess I agree with that as far as promoting this list as a "top 50 of" is concerned.

1) I have not seen The Illusionist, so it was likewise not considered for this list.

2) Box office performance has nothing to do with my review of these movies. One thing I did consider, however, is which movies are more likely to age well over time based on their relevance or whether they were simply underrated when they first came out. For example, Forrest Gump won the Oscar for Best Picture in 1995 (honoring the best films of 1994). But two other films were released in 1994 that have aged better and are considered superior films: Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption.

Anyway, since you guys are hating on King Kong it's time to move things along. Since the next two films are similar I'll do a double take.

forgetting-sarah-marshall-poster-2.jpg

Forgetting Sarah Marshall takes a simple break-up story and makes it work as well as it possibly can. With top comedic acting from the entire cast (not least of all Jason Segel), it is full of hilarious moments and the story finds ways to stay in motion, creating genuine emotion and becoming surprisingly inspiring in its final twenty minutes. This is one of my favorite romantic comedies of all-time.

knocked-up-poster-0.jpg

Now this is how you make a comedy. Showcasing as many laugh-out-loud laughs as you'd expect from a Judd Apatow flick, Knocked Up uses fantastic chemistry from its lead actors Seth Rogen and Katherine Heigl to tell a powerful story about childbirth, friendship, love, and the importance of family.

50) George Clooney's Good Night, and Good Luck

49) Greg Mottola's Superbad

48) Terry George's Hotel Rwanda

47) David O. Russell's The Fighter

46) Ron Howard's Frost/Nixon

45) Edward Zwick's Blood Diamond

44) Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins

43) Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder

42) James Mangold's Walk the Line

41) Christopher Nolan's The Prestige

40) Peter Jackson's King Kong

39) Nicholas Stoller's Forgetting Sarah Marshall

39) Judd Apatow's Knocked Up

So I guess this means the Top 3 spots will be all of the Lord of the Rings movies then.

>_>

500 Days of Summer better be in here.

And I bet Inception is in the top 3 with Memento and...Insomnia? Yeah, those three.

DON'T SPOIL IT FOR ME, STEVO.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

500 Days of Summer better be in here.

:nope:

Didn't miss by much, though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Knocked Up are ahead of Batman Begins?

gorilla-walking-away-gif.gif

This list is getting worse the higher we go up. FSM and KNocked Up are above average films at best.... And like King Kong... I would take any movie on the list so far above any of those three.

The way the list is going, Dragonball: Evolution is going to be #1.

Ya, I was worried about having some lackluster films in the middle of the pack because of how many epic ones were at the beginning. Let's hope all the kinks are fixed before we hit the Top 15 or so. :D

No love for extremely well done comedies...are you guys part of the Academy or something?

I love a good comedy, just no way Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Knocked Up are better than Batman Begins. To be fair, I haven't seen those two movies, but they have to be special comedies to be better than a Nolan Batman film, and from what I've heard, they aren't.

Also, you should do a worst movies over the 21st century list too, maybe not 50, but top 10 at least. I'd be more interested in that list tbh. Disaster Movie should be an easy #1. :yep:

I love a good comedy, just no way Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Knocked Up are better than Batman Begins. To be fair, I haven't seen those two movies, but they have to be special comedies to be better than a Nolan Batman film, and from what I've heard, they aren't.

Also, you should do a worst movies over the 21st century list too, maybe not 50, but top 10 at least. I'd be more interested in that list tbh. Disaster Movie should be an easy #1. :yep:

That'd be a tough one to do. The only movies I've seen in the last few years that I'd call horrible are Transformers 2 and Jennifer's Body.

That'd be a tough one to do. The only movies I've seen in the last few years that I'd call horrible are Transformers 2 and Jennifer's Body.

The parody movies made over the years are the worst movies I've ever seen. Especially the Jason Friedberg and Aaron Seltzer ones. Just terrible. The Transformers movies were pretty terrible too, good call. Dragonball: Evolution like JD brought up was bad too.

Alright, I feel like this one will make you guys feel a lot better.

friday-night-lights-poster.jpg

Based on a book and eventually inspiring a TV series, Friday Night Lights illuminates the culture of Odessa, Texas, where high school football reigns king. Seeing high school kids under the type of pressure professional athletes deal with makes this a unique take for a football movie. The script is well balanced, giving the star players enough screen time along with their coach, played by a predictably awesome Billy Bob Thornton. This is my favorite football movie of all-time.

50) George Clooney's Good Night, and Good Luck

49) Greg Mottola's Superbad

48) Terry George's Hotel Rwanda

47) David O. Russell's The Fighter

46) Ron Howard's Frost/Nixon

45) Edward Zwick's Blood Diamond

44) Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins

43) Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder

42) James Mangold's Walk the Line

41) Christopher Nolan's The Prestige

40) Peter Jackson's King Kong

39) Nicholas Stoller's Forgetting Sarah Marshall

38) Judd Apatow's Knocked Up

37) Peter Berg's Friday Night Lights

Yay, good movies again!

Yay, good movies again!

Honestly, when I look at the list as a whole, I can break it into a couple tiers, and we just switched into the second tier. #38 was the last movie of the first tier, and now we're up a level. The next few movies on the list should confirm that.

For the record, we'll be reaching the third tier around #20, fourth tier with #12, and then the top six are the elite tier.

We shall be the judges of that... :D

Guest Phailadelphia

No 500 Days of Summer but you have Superbad and Knocked Up in here? Next thing you know, Avatar is going to be on here.

I've only seen about seven of these movies. Is that bad?

I've probably seen less.

No 500 Days of Summer but you have Superbad and Knocked Up in here? Next thing you know, Avatar is going to be on here.

:D

I don't think I've even seen 50 movies from the 21st Century.

You either love your comedies or are a big Apatow fan.

Edited by KiLaSix9

Honestly, even in the realm of Apatow comedies, how do you have knocked up over superbad? Knocked up had a major problem of not being that funny.