SteVo

Top 50 Films of the 21st Century (to Date)

I think FotR is the best LotR movie.

Agreed. It's easily the best LotR film.

I once had a LotR movie marathon at home... I think I made it 90 minutes in before falling asleep.

Well I'm disappointed in you both then.

Wonder if any of the Matrices are going to make it. :think:

Wonder if any of the Matrices are going to make it. :think:

The original Matrix was released in 1999, thus making it ineligible for this list. The sequels qualify, but are far too shitty to sniff this list.

Anyway, on with the show. I forgot to post an entry this morning so it's time for another double dip.

The_Signs_movie.jpg

M. Night Shyamalan rose to fame with The Sixth Sense, but with Signs he proved he wasn't a one-hit wonder. Though I called this a horror film in my previous post, it's more of a suspense film than anything. Its initial reaction was a bit lukewarm, I believe, because it was misunderstood. This is not a film about an alien invasion; it is a film about faith. It is about seeing signs--and I'm not talking about crop circles. Along with its depth, it proves Shyamalan's skill at generating tension with ease.

Drive2011Poster.jpg

This blend of highly stylized cinematography and relentless graphic violence is one of my personal favorites of the century with an iconic performance by Ryan Gosling. It takes a little while to get going, but once it does, it's impossible to turn away. Feeling reminiscent of a 1980's film, half the pleasure of watching it is admiring how uniquely it is put together.

50) George Clooney's Good Night, and Good Luck

49) Greg Mottola's Superbad

48) Terry George's Hotel Rwanda

47) David O. Russell's The Fighter

46) Ron Howard's Frost/Nixon

45) Edward Zwick's Blood Diamond

44) Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins

43) Ben Stiller's Tropic Thunder

42) James Mangold's Walk the Line

41) Christopher Nolan's The Prestige

40) Peter Jackson's King Kong

39) Nicholas Stoller's Forgetting Sarah Marshall

38) Judd Apatow's Knocked Up

37) Peter Berg's Friday Night Lights

36) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

35) Jonathan Levine's 50/50

34) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

33) David Fincher's Zodiac

32) M. Night Shyamalan's Signs

31) Nicolas Winding Refn's Drive

The original Matrix was released in 1999, thus making it ineligible for this list. The sequels qualify, but are far too shitty to sniff this list.

Yeah, figured if they hadn't been posted by now that they probably weren't going to be.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

I have to admit I like that 50/50 is on here. Rented it the other night when I had a lady friend over because I thought it was just a comedy. Turned out to be some dark shit, albeit a great movie.

Fellowship of the Ring is probably my favorite movie of the three because my dad read us the entire trilogy as well as the Hobbit when me and my sister were kids.

So then to have it released in theaters, we went to see it as a family, something we don't do all that often, and we were all a little concerned it might not be any good, and were simply blown away.

So it was the level of expectation that was just so greatly succeeded by FotR that makes me like it so much.

I do see a potential problem here. Star Wars II and III aren't on this list, are they Stevo? (That's a good thing if they're not). I'm going to have a large problem with your list if Star Wars II and III are on here and thus ahead of the Two Towers and the Return of the King.

Edited by Thanatos19

I do see a potential problem here. Star Wars II and III aren't on this list, are they Stevo? (That's a good thing if they're not). I'm going to have a large problem with your list if Star Wars II and III are on here and thus ahead of the Two Towers and the Return of the King.

Being a huge Star Wars geek, I have to agree here because all the Prequels were just awful.

I don't want to spoil anything further. You will just have to see. :p

Vforvendettamov.jpg

James McTeigue's adaptation of Alan Moore's comic book series about a futuristic, totalitarian England is dark, violent, and relentless in its political provocations. In an era where the people are constantly losing faith in its government's ability to protect them, V for Vendetta gives us the comfort that anarchy just might be the answer. And it does so with visually stunning style.

30) James McTeigue's V for Vendetta

Telling everyone that the Star Wars prequels were awful and didn't make the list certainly isn't spoiler material. :p

Telling everyone that the Star Wars prequels were awful and didn't make the list certainly isn't spoiler material. :p

I like to keep you guys in as much suspense as possible. :D

Also, I'll be going on vacation soon, so when you guys notice there's no new posts for a 4-5 day period, that's why.

Alright, I'm back from vacation, though my Internet access will be limited over the next few days. I shall take this opportunity to get the countdown going with another double shot.

American_Gangster_poster.jpg

Ridley Scott brings the story of Harlem drug king Frank Lucas to life with grit, authenticity, and power. Denzel Washington is predictably brilliant in the lead role, and Russell Crowe is equally impressive as the straight-arrow cop tasked with taking him down. Despite the fact that the two do not appear on screen together until the film's final thirty minutes, American Gangster maintains its energy with ease, even over its lengthy running time.

FellowshipOfTheRing_poster.jpg

"You shall not pass!" Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy set the standard for 21st century epics, but neither sequel could match the adventure and spirit of the first installment. It's a reminder that at least 90% of the time, the first film is indeed the best. Perhaps its greatest strength is that Jackson brings us into J.R.R. Tolkien's world effortlessly, drawing us into the cheer of the Shire, the darkness of Mordor, and a host of hobbits, goblins, wizards, and elves as if it were our own world.

30) James McTeigue's V for Vendetta

29) Ridley Scott's American Gangster

28) Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

Coming Next: What I'm sure will be the most unpopular selection of the entire list comes in at #27, and Quentin Tarantino gets in the mix before we enter the top 25.

Guest Phailadelphia

Oh good grief, V for Vendetta? That was the most predictably awful movie I've seen since The Devil Inside.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Oh good grief, V for Vendetta? That was the most predictably awful movie I've seen since The Devil Inside.

What are you smoking? V for Vendetta is an incredible movie.

• Upvote 2

Zodiac is my lest favorite film on the list, I also don't think Forgetting Sarah Marshal should be on the top 50, but I enjoyed he film. Please tell me Hot Tub Time Machine is not on this list.

• Downvote 1

Zodiac is my lest favorite film on the list, I also don't think Forgetting Sarah Marshal should be on the top 50, but I enjoyed he film. Please tell me Hot Tub Time Machine is not on this list.

You still don't understand the comedy in HTTM. lol. Although, for the record, it most certainly should not be on the list. And I highly doubt Stevo would put it on this list.

And Zodiac was awesome, what are you smoking?

King Kong is the worst movie on the list. At least of movies I've seen....lol. I can't believe SteVo put that shit ahead of Batman Begins lol.

Hot Tub Time Machine was a funny movie, but probably doesn't belong on a top 50 films of the 21st century list.

• Upvote 1

King Kong is the worst movie on the list. At least of movies I've seen....lol. I can't believe SteVo put that shit ahead of Batman Begins lol.

Hot Tub Time Machine was a funny movie, but probably doesn't belong on a top 50 films of the 21st century list.

I concur on King Kong. Definitely the worst of the list so far. I also think FSM and Knocked Up are very overrated according to the list, but they probably deserve mention in the Bottom 10 or so. Although, on my particular list, not sure they would make it.

Edited by Favre4Ever

You still don't understand the comedy in HTTM. lol. Although, for the record, it most certainly should not be on the list. And I highly doubt Stevo would put it on this list.

And Zodiac was awesome, what are you smoking?

That was too easy, thanks for taking the bait.

First of all, me not liking HTTM had nothing to do with not 'getting' the comedy, I tried to explain why I didn't like it to you, but being the self proclaimed film critic you are, you didn't want to listen to any of it. You were too busy regurgitating something you read off the critic comments on rottentomatoes.com.

Also where did I say I didn't like Zodiac? I simply said of the movies on the list so far, it was my least favorite.

I'll have my opinion, you can have yours

Hot tub time machine was significantly funnier than knocked up or forgetting sarah marshall, and king kong was a piece of shit, but we all know that.

But I guess thats the point of these lists. Its always interesting to see the opinions of the taste-challenged. :p

That was too easy, thanks for taking the bait.

First of all, me not liking HTTM had nothing to do with not 'getting' the comedy, I tried to explain why I didn't like it to you, but being the self proclaimed film critic you are, you didn't want to listen to any of it. You were too busy regurgitating something you read off the critic comments on rottentomatoes.com.

Also where did I say I didn't like Zodiac? I simply said of the movies on the list so far, it was my least favorite.

I'll have my opinion, you can have yours

Your opinion about HTTM is just as valuable as having you as a team mate on CoD. Not very. lol

If you don't like it because you don't understand the jokes, so be it. There is nothing wrong with that. But don't deny it and act like you actually knew what was going on. lol. Not everyone is going to "get it".

And I am not even saying HTTM is a GREAT movie. I don't think it is. But it accomplished what it was trying to.

Wut.

Just... no.

No.

American Gangster is near the bottom of the list for me. One of the more disappointing films of recent memory. You would think that a Russell Crowe/Denzel Washington paring would be epic, but there was just something that seemed...incomplete. At least the ending was cool, though sadly it was the only good part of the movie.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1