Bay

NHL off-season

NEW YORK -- The NHL Players' Association moved one step closer to disbanding the union with a preliminary vote toward disclaiming interest, and the NHL fired back with a pre-emptive strike of its own as the two sides appear to be headed for what could be a nasty court battle.

Upon learning the NHLPA's executive board voted Thursday night potentially to dissolve the union, the NHL filed a class-action complaint in federal court as well as a Unfair Labor Practice Charge with the National Labor Relations Board.

A source confirmed to ESPN.com that the union's executive board voted unanimously Thursday night to authorize a vote among the union's membership at-large. The membership's vote would determine if the executive board could vote on whether to file a disclaimer of interest. A disclaimer of interest is a quicker, less formal way of dissolving the union, as opposed to decertification, which can take months.

Although that does not mean the vote necessarily will take place, it provides the players the option to gauge whether their membership feels the need to vote to dissolve the union. The vote is expected to take place in the near future.

In the United States, antitrust laws prohibit owners from locking out employees who don't belong to a union, with the punishment triple the wages lost during the lockout. As long as the NHL players continue to negotiate under executive director Donald Fehr as part of the NHLPA, they don't receive that protection.

But if they're no longer a union through decertification, that changes the dynamics of the entire lockout. Then, they can file antitrust lawsuits, targeting the wallets of their owners.

well this is getting out of hand

It's unbelievable to me that the owners and players can't come to a deal. I feel like the players have the leverage. They can always play in Europe or Russia. The NHL is losing not only so much money THIS year but it's going to lose even more because fans are just going to lose a lot of interest in a league that strikes all the time.

:sigh:

See you in 2013.

I hope, if this goes to court there's no telling what'll happen to the league

This makes me so fuckin angry! Like make a compromise by splitting the difference. It's a fuckin joke that the owners don't want to honour contracts ... that they MUTUALLY AGREED TOO!

Bettman is a fuckin asshole who noone likes and a bet a decent amount of people wish he were dead! I hope he resigns!

NEW YORK -- The National Hockey League announced today the cancellation of the 2012-13 regular-season schedule through January 14. The cancellations are necessary due to the absence of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement between the NHL Players' Association and the NHL.A total of 625 regular-season games—50.8 percent of the season—were scheduled for October 11 through January 14.

...yeah. Any hope now has officially been killed.

...yeah. Any hope now has officially been killed.

Well from what I hear January 10th is pretty much the date. If we don't have a deal by January 10 (which I highly doubt) they will call it quits on the season.

How many games would they fit in now, even if they got a deal done? I feel like winning the Stanley Cup in a season shortened this bad would feel watered down a bit.

How many games would they fit in now, even if they got a deal done? I feel like winning the Stanley Cup in a season shortened this bad would feel watered down a bit.

48 games per team is the most they can do now, just like in 1994-95.

Edited by BigBen07

Bettman said they would do nothing less than a 48-game season.

anyone know where I can buy a Moscow Dynamo shirt cheap? you know, if I want to continue to support Ovi and Backstrom and protest the NHL lockout at the same time?

The latest I'm hearing is they're shooting to get a deal done by Jan 11 otherwise there's no season period.

Potential season would consist of 48 games mostly divisional matchups.

In the meantime Team USA has a showdown with Canada in 12 hours live on NHLN.

Canada beat us 2-1 last time, this should be good.

John Gibson > Malcolm Subban.

In the meantime Team USA has a showdown with Canada in 12 hours live on NHLN.

Canada beat us 2-1 last time, this should be good.

John Gibson > Malcolm Subban.

Well it WAS good... for the U.S. lol Canada. :dry:

Devin said a deal was going to be done today. If not, should I ban him? :troll:

Devin said a deal was going to be done today. If not, should I ban him? :troll:

LOL YES :troll:

Seriously, the NHL has set a deadline of Jan. 11. No deal by then, the season's dead.

A week away and is there any urgency?

A week away and is there any urgency?

I have no clue. And to top it off, they're using mediators. :dry:

I have no clue. And to top it off, they're using mediators. :dry:

that's a step forward from a month ago when a federal mediator left after two days saying the sides were too far apart

that's a step forward from a month ago when a federal mediator left after two days saying the sides were too far apart

NEW YORK -- The NHL and the players' association met separately with a federal mediator throughout Friday morning and well into the afternoon with no sign that they would return to the bargaining table anytime soon.

Federal mediator Scot Beckenbaugh has been shuttling back and forth between the hotel in which the union is working, and the league office. As of late afternoon, the sides had made no plans to get together.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8812467/mediator-hosts-nhl-sides-separately-new-york-lockout-continues

That's not good with a week to go.