Sarge

2012 Trade Deadline Thread

The first major trade of the 2012 deadline will probably be happening very soon. probably about 2 weeks from now.

What do you think your team will be doing at the deadline this year?

As long as the A's get rid of Coco Crisp, I'll be happy.

Rays won't do anything unless we get some depth for cheap. We're usually linked to some big players to put us over the top to win now, but the Rays usually just keep their farm.

The Pirates are definitely going to be looking to upgrade the lineup, and they also may trade for another starting pitcher, too. If they can stay in the hunt for 3 more weeks with what they have, which they should be able to do, I think they'll be bigger buyers than last year. Nutting is looking to spend more money. We offered Edwin Jackson 30 mil in the offseason but he went to the Nats for 11 mil. Right now there still aren't enough teams that are actively selling thanks to the addition of the 2nd wildcard. More teams are going to hold out as long as they can to stay in it. You can't really blame them for that. It's going to make the trade market different compared to years past, that's for sure.

I think we will look to add a bat at 1B and maybe a corner outfield position as well. Also wouldn't be surprised to see us bring in a LHP for the rotation, like Joe Saunders or something.

Edit:

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN

Folks with other teams believe a Youkilis trade could happen at any time; they believe Red Sox are just working to nudge offers forward.

Edited by Sarge

The Cubs have some pieces they will deal.

The Phillies will likely have the best players to deal and could get some great prospect in return.

I don't see Yankees doing something this trade deadline..

Rob Biertempfel ‏@BiertempfelTrib

I've heard from multiple sources that Youkillis talks moving very fast today and #RedSox are still talking with #Pirates and couple others

Youk is having a bad year so far, but it wouldn't be terrible if we don't give up a lot. Plus, we would probably make more deals than just this. Hmmm.

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS

#chisox get youlikis according to sources

Definitely do not understand the point of trading Youk. Wish the d-backs would make a move because the Dodgers are flying through everybody ;/

The Red Sox don't need Youkilis and getting rid of his salary frees up more possible buys for them in a few weeks. They'll be looking for pitching and now they have more money to use toward that. Middlebrooks is doing well at 3rd. Makes perfect sense for them to move him, IMO.

Garza is on the redsoxs radar.

The Phillies could be an active seller at the deadline, which is a little new for us, but I'm looking forward to it. The three big players are as follows.

-Shane Victorino. A free agent to be, he has turned into a totally ineffective hitter when hitting left-handed. He is, however, batting over .310 right-handed, and he's got speed, so hopefully someone is willing to give up something for him.

-Hunter Pence. I like Hunter a lot and hope we don't trade him, but the fact that he doesn't suck and still has one season of arbitration eligibility left after this year makes him valuable on the open market since he's not just a rental. But again, I'd rather keep him unless the Phillies a) get a top-level prospect for him, or b) need to free up the money to retain...

-Cole Hamels. I do not not not not not want Cole wearing another uniform ever again, but if the Phillies decide they can't afford what he's likely to command on the open market (since they have so much money already invested in Lee, Halladay, Papelbon, and fucking Howard over the next 2-4 years), then they need to get something for him while they still can.

I also wouldn't rule out trading somebody like Vance Worley (Amaro hates youth at the major league level, apparently), and the Phillies should be on the phone immediately with Tampa Bay asking for a bullpen arm in exchange for the DH services of Jim Thome.

Per ESPN

BOSTON -- The Boston Red Sox have traded infielder Kevin Youkilis to the Chicago White Sox for utilityman Brent Lillibridge and right-hander Zach Stewart.

The AL Central-leading White Sox, who also received cash in the deal, have been looking for a third baseman with Brent Morel plagued by back problems.

The Red Sox will absorb all but $2 million of the $7.8 million still owed to Youkilis, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

"There is no way we are not a better team with Kevin Youkilis," White Sox captain Paul Konerko said. "He is just too good of a player and has been through all the wars and is still relatively a young guy. We just have to keep him on the field. If that is the case, it could be one of the bigger steals of the season."

Will Middlebrooks' emergence in Boston made Youkilis expendable after a successful 8½-year run with the Red Sox. The versatile All-Star, who can play both of the corner infield spots, is a career .286 hitter with 133 homers and 563 RBIs.

"I think we were trying to find a solution that worked for everyone," Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington said. "Kevin's been an everyday player since he's been here, and with the way (Will) Middlebrooks has been playing, Middlebrooks needs to be in the lineup. That's pretty clear."

Middlebrooks is hitting .326, and his sacrifice fly in a 9-4 win over the Atlanta Braves on Sunday gave him 34 RBIs in his first 41 games, the most by an American League player in his first 41 games since Wally Joyner had 39 in 1986.

I know how much he means to this city. Two World Series here. Played his heart and soul out every day. Just a great teammate. I'm going to miss him.

-- Red Sox OF Cody Ross

on Kevin Youkilis' departure

Youkilis has been hampered by a variety of injuries the last three seasons. He missed three weeks earlier this season with back discomfort and was limited to 120 games in 2011 and 102 in '10.

"We were given a good bill of health on him," White Sox GM Kenny Williams said. "He said he hasn't felt this good physically for a long time. He said he is very excited to join our club and he has a little bit of edge to him, which I like. I can't tell you exactly what he said, but he wants to come in and prove some people wrong."

Youkilis, who had been held out of the lineup for three straight days, started at third base and hit sixth Sunday against the Braves. When he left the game for a pinch runner after hitting a triple in the bottom of the seventh inning, he received a long standing ovation, blew a kiss to the sellout crowd at Fenway Park and hugged his teammates.

At the strong urging of Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, with whom Youkilis has had some public disagreements, Youkilis came out for a curtain call. Youkilis also received a standing ovation when he came to bat in the bottom of the second inning.

Prior to the bottom of the seventh, Cherington told Valentine in the tunnel from the dugout to the clubhouse that there was a "situation pending." As Youkilis stepped to the on-deck area, Valentine informed the players in the dugout of that situation.

Youkilis finished the game 2-for-4 and was 6-for-14 in his last four games with the Red Sox. He leaves Boston with a .287 career average and 133 home runs in 953 career games. He was a member of the 2004 and '07 championship teams, a three-time All-Star and a Gold Glover at first base.

More on the link

Edited by Bangy

Chris Carpenter to have season-ending surgery.

Cards will definitely be in the hunt for a pitcher at the deadline now.

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Zack Greinke likely would welcome a trade to St. Louis and a chance to sign with the Cardinals long term.

Greinke began his career in nearby Kansas City, so it's not an outrageous scenario. However, it's unclear whether the Brewers are willing to deal him within the division. For what it's worth, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reported Tuesday that Greinke would be open to joining the Braves and likes Atlanta due to its proximity to Florida. If the 28-year-old right-hander ultimately tests free agency, we're guessing he'll like whichever destination is willing to give him the most money.

Source: FOXSports.com

Carlos Lee traded to Marlins for 3B Matt Dominguez and P Rob Rasmussen.

In his first 10 games with the White Sox, Kevin Youkilis is batting .308 with seven runs scored, 2 homers and 10 RBIs.

I am not really a fan of trading for a guy who will spend half the season with us and then ditch. Kind of a waste of farm and majors ready talent, IMO -- unless you can win the title that same year.

Cardinals are probably looking at a starting pitcher. Greinke would be an option, but will probably require a kings ransom to acquire. I hear the A's might be open to Brandon McCarthy talks, but he also really enjoys his time on the disabled list... lol

Jon Heyman (CBS) says the Rangers are looking for Hamels, Greinke, or bust. Give me this guy:

f28qa1.jpg

Carlos Lee traded to Marlins for 3B Matt Dominguez and P Rob Rasmussen.

Matty D is not gonna be a quality MLB'er. :nope:

@jonmorosi

Sources: #Pirates involved in trade talks on Justin Upton and Carlos Quentin. Story at http://FOXSports.com

The Pittsburgh Pirates are in first place. Clearly, they intend to stay there.

Major-league sources told FOXSports.com the Pirates have had preliminary trade discussions regarding two power-hitting outfielders, San Diego’s Carlos Quentin and Arizona’s Justin Upton. Talent evaluators from those two clubs have scouted Pittsburgh’s minor-league affiliates in recent days, as the teams prepare preference lists of prospects they want in the potential deals.

It seems unlikely the Pirates would acquire both Quentin and Upton, but they have a strong desire to upgrade their lineup by landing one of them. Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen is putting together an MVP season in the No. 3 spot, but he will see fewer pitches to hit in the second half unless general manager Neal Huntington adds a cleanup hitter. Garrett Jones and Casey McGehee have batted fourth for the Pirates in recent days.

Quentin would come at a lower prospect price, because he’s eligible for free agency after this season. Upton would command a larger package, since he’s under contract through 2015.

Upton, who finished fourth in the MVP balloting last year, would be the bigger splash for an organization seeking to re-establish itself. Upton’s relationship with the Arizona franchise has soured recently amid criticism from owner Ken Kendrick, but he’s highly regarded within the industry. A change of scenery may be the best thing for Upton. If he lands in Pittsburgh, he would combine with McCutchen to give the Pirates their best collection of star talent since the departure of Barry Bonds.

The Pirates, who invested large sums of money in the draft over the past several years, have the prospect depth to consummate a deal for either Upton or Quentin. The question is how willing Huntington will be to part with the necessary pieces.

Two Pirates pitching prospects — right-handers Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon — were selected for Sunday’s All-Star Futures Game in Kansas City. The Pirates are said to be more reluctant to trade Cole than Taillon, in part because Cole is closer to the majors.

The Diamondbacks are in the midst of a disappointing season after winning the National League West last year. Officials of the club believe they can compete again next year, so general manager Kevin Towers likely would focus on acquiring prospects who are close to the majors. Pirates outfield prospect Starling Marte, who has an .846 OPS as a 23-year-old at Class AAA, is one potential fit. But it would take more than Marte to get Upton. Upton, after all, is only 24 and has been in the majors for all or part of six seasons.

The Padres, meanwhile, are willing to accept younger players in exchange for Quentin, as long as they possess substantial upside. San Diego is known for its strong pitching, but a rash of injuries this season could force general manager Josh Byrnes to look for young arms in return for Quentin or third baseman Chase Headley.

One way or the other, Huntington is poised to seize upon his team’s fast start during a season in which the defending world champion (and National League Central rival) St. Louis Cardinals have been faced with injuries to pitchers Chris Carpenter and Jaime Garcia.

The Pirates rank last among the 30 major-league teams in left field production (.594 OPS). They haven’t been much better in the other outfield corner (22nd), and Opening Day right fielder Jose Tabata is now in the minor leagues. Quentin or Upton would amount to a huge upgrade — because of what they would bring, and their impact on McCutchen, who leads the majors with a .359 batting average and ranks third with a 1.017 OPS.

“He’s the man there,” Toronto superstar Jose Bautista, the former Pirate, said of McCutchen in a recent interview. “If you take him out of that lineup, there’s no way they’re where they’re at in the standings. I don’t see him having big-time protection around him, and he’s still doing what he’s doing. He’s not going to get pitched to for that much longer.”

Get it done, Neal. :yep:

By Daniel Seco [July 8, 2012 at 6:31pm CST]

The Cardinals are interested in trading for Athletics left-hander Brian Fuentes, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com (via Twitter). Oakland designated the reliever for assignment on Tuesday after he posted a 6.84 ERA with 6.5 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9 in 26 appearances.

The Cardinals currently have two left-handers in their bullpen but could benefit from adding Fuentes to the mix as Marc Rzepczynski (5.52 ERA) has struggled and Barret Browning has only pitched 4.1 innings in his entire Major League career. Fuentes, 37 in August, is in the second year of a two-year, $10.5MM contract he signed following the 2010 season. He'll earn $5MM this year and his contract includes a $6.5MM club option for 2013 ($500K buyout).

Source: MLBTradeRumors.com

Edited by BLUE

Any compensation the A's get for Fuentes would be gravy. I'm just thrilled he's gone from the team.

@BiertempfelTrib I've heard D'backs and Padres might have some degree of interest in #Pirates RHP Brad Lincoln as part of deals for Upton/Quentin. Dbacks offered Upton to Pirates and have sent scout to Triple-A Indy to start compiling wish list. Padres sent scout to Low-A West Virginia.