Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Where does Kobe rank all-time?

Me and my friends actually had an argument over NBA all time rankings and made a list of our top 100 all time, most of them are big basketball guys so they knew a lot more then I did on this subject.

He's in the top 10 in my book, we ranked him at #10, which is where I also personally rank him.

• Upvote 1

Top 5. Hes a legend, i wouldnt know where in the top 5 but hes in there. Specially when he retires.

Top 5? Which two do you put him ahead of?

Wilt

Jordan

Magic

Kareem

Russell

Bird

• Upvote 2

I'll put him at 5 all time behind Jordan, Russell, Bird and Jab

Top 5? Which two do you put him ahead of?

Wilt

Jordan

Magic

Kareem

Russell

Bird

Wilt, Magic. When Kobe retires he will be the greatest Laker to have played the game. Magic is still one of the best ever no doubt. But Kobe will have that title. And if hes better then Magic id put him ahead of Wilt too. Though when u try to compare big men to smaller players its a difference on how u can rank em. Overall though id take Kobe over Wilt though Wilt is def one of my fav players in the old NBA. Jordans number 1, Kareem 2, Bird 3. Kobe/Russell. Its prob like that. If Kobe wins another ring however and when he retires is the all time scorer, he moves to 2 IMO.

My opinion on this is pretty unpopular, but I've always thought Kobe was massively overrated. You could make a strong case that there was never a point in which he was the best player in the league. MAYBE around 2006-2008, but he played on some shitty teams which required him to ball hog more.

I'm not saying Kobe is bad, but he doesn't crack my top 5 players of all time list. IMO he is the 4th best Laker of all time behind Magic, Shaq and Kareem. He is for sure a top 15 player of all time and I'd say you could make the case for top 10. Which says a lot about the Lakers franchise to have so many great players.

My opinion on this is pretty unpopular, but I've always thought Kobe was massively overrated. You could make a strong case that there was never a point in which he was the best player in the league. MAYBE around 2006-2008, but he played on some shitty teams which required him to ball hog more.

I'm not saying Kobe is bad, but he doesn't crack my top 5 players of all time list. IMO he is the 4th best Laker of all time behind Magic, Shaq and Kareem. He is for sure a top 15 player of all time and I'd say you could make the case for top 10. Which says a lot about the Lakers franchise to have so many great players.

How would u put him behind those 3 if hes passed em besides KAreem in points all time? Not to mention the 5 rings and mulitple awards , 2 final mvps and a nba mvp. He ball hogged bcuz nobody on his team could do a damn thing. We didnt always have the best team around him. He could pass have u seen his highlights on his passing?

How would u put him behind those 3 if hes passed em besides KAreem in points all time? Not to mention the 5 rings and mulitple awards , 2 final mvps and a nba mvp. He ball hogged bcuz nobody on his team could do a damn thing. We didnt always have the best team around him. He could pass have u seen his highlights on his passing?

Points scored isn't always the biggest story. Kobe always scores a lot because he shoots a lot. He is a great player, but gets overrated a lot. Especially by Lakers fans and his fan club. A lot of Kobe fans like pissing on LeBron's ring by saying he had Wade and Bosh but convieniently ignore that Shaq carried Kobe to his first three rings.

Kobe was a great player, but not top 5 all time. His biggest accomplishments where his 2 rings with Bynum and Gasol, as he was the clear cut man. But it was also in a period where there was no dominant dynasty team. A lot of good teams, but not all time great teams.

Points scored isn't always the biggest story. Kobe always scores a lot because he shoots a lot. He is a great player, but gets overrated a lot. Especially by Lakers fans and his fan club. A lot of Kobe fans like pissing on LeBron's ring by saying he had Wade and Bosh but convieniently ignore that Shaq carried Kobe to his first three rings.

Kobe was a great player, but not top 5 all time. His biggest accomplishments where his 2 rings with Bynum and Gasol, as he was the clear cut man. But it was also in a period where there was no dominant dynasty team. A lot of good teams, but not all time great teams.

I know which is why i said about his MVPS not to mention hes consistent. Hes old and still killin it on the court. One of the best mental games in NBA history too. Hes focused. He works hard, overrated, eh if u wanna hate on the guy. Funny u mention Bynum and Gasol yet Magic had KAREEM better then those two COMBINED. Kareem won MVP one year the team missed the playoffs. Kobe has had some ok teams but greats go thru that.

I know which is why i said about his MVPS not to mention hes consistent. Hes old and still killin it on the court. One of the best mental games in NBA history too. Hes focused. He works hard, overrated, eh if u wanna hate on the guy. Funny u mention Bynum and Gasol yet Magic had KAREEM better then those two COMBINED. Kareem won MVP one year the team missed the playoffs. Kobe has had some ok teams but greats go thru that.

He is a volume scorer, really good at it, but that is what he is. All this working hard and mental stuff is just press fluff to me. All the best players were hard workers and had the mindset needed to win. I think D-Mac ranked him about right at 10th, I haven't done my own list and don't plan to, but I'd haveh im in the 8th-12th range.

I'd put Jordan,Wilt,Kareem,Bird,Magic,Russell in front of him..Maybe even a couple more..Definetely a top 10 all-time..

This is my exact post in the topic about LeBron James, and I'll repost it here.

I wouldn't feel premature if I placed him in the Top 15. Just think of all the players you would honestly put above him and after 11 or 12, you really have nobody else. Top 10? Not yet, but very close. Top 5? Out of the question.

Current Top 5 in my opinion:

1. Michael Jordan (G/F) - This doesn't need explanation. The man came into a league dominated by tall men and succeeded in a style of play nobody was accustomed to seeing at the time.

2. Magic Johnson (G/F) - Best PG of all time. Best facillitator the game has ever seen. Incredible team leader and teammate both on and off the court. And when necessary, apparently he can play center, too. His career being cut short was nothing but an incredibly depressing robbery to fans of a legacy that could have very well carried into the mid to late 90s.

3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Lew Alcindor) © - His track record says it all. 3x NCAAB champion, 6x NBA Champion, 6x NBA MVP, #1 All Time Scoring Champion and an unbreakable 19 All-Star appearances. He literally could have done nothing more. No matter what team he was on they were instant title contenders.

4. Bill Russell © - Cornerstone for the Boston Celtics for the unbelievable 11 Championships out of 13 years. He was really the first dominant figure the game had ever seen on this kind of level. I mean, if people want to say LeBron will never beat Jordan until he gets #7, why isn't Russell #1 on everyone's list?

5. Wilt Chamberlin © - He was the tallest player on the floor in every game. He got almost every rebound imaginable and he still is Mr. 100. Nobody has even come close to this. Kobe Bryant looked like a God in front of most of us when he laid down 81 and he's still 19 points away from tying it. He only won 2 NBA Championships, but that in no way can be seen as a failure of a career with stats like that. All Time King of the Paint? Maybe...

You're telling me LeBron is above these guys? Please, tell me how.

Kobe Bryant on my list is #6. Bird would be #7.

Do people realize that there was a point when Tracy McGrady was arguably better than Kobe? Kobe's in my top 10 probably, but I try like all hell not to overrate him.

Do people realize that there was a point when Tracy McGrady was arguably better than Kobe? Kobe's in my top 10 probably, but I try like all hell not to overrate him.

True. Less we forget, McGrady had the same trainer as Jordan, Barkley, Pippen, Arenas, Wade, Howard, Olajuwon and a few other known names. If I'm not mistaken, Kobe was partially involved with the trainer as well (Tim Grover). So naturally the guy was going to be pretty good with the guidance of a man with that kind of stature and that kind of provided support.

Guest Phailadelphia

McGrady was only on the same level offensively. Kobe was a 2-way player, as all the greats are.

T-Mac was amazing as fuck in his prime. It is too bad the Magic didn't get him shit for teammates and injuries ruined his prime. He could've been on Kobe's level.

I have been arguing that he is in the top 10. My brothers seem to disagree and claim he is so overhyped. As much hype as people want to give Kobe you can't deny what he has done and the way he has done it. He is by far the closest player to Jordan (as far as playing style, and demeanor)we have had since he left and he has the hardware. I'm not sure where I rank him in the top 10, but I know he is there.

McGrady was only on the same level offensively. Kobe was a 2-way player, as all the greats are.

McGrady was no slouch of a defender. He was known for giving Dirk fits.

I do believe people forget how great T-Mac was for us because of how far he has fallen off the map lately and that we didn't win anything. But those Magic teams of the early 2000s had some of the worst supporting casts for a star ever. I remember his last season here our starting PG was Tyronn Lue and our starting center was Juwan Howard. The only quality teammate he ever really had was Mike Miller and we traded him for freakin' Drew Gooden. T-Mac was an explosive scorer, passer and underrated defender. It is too bad we never really got a real chance to see what he was made of.