AllYouNeedIsLovie

Biggest Week 1 Surprise/Upset?

18 members have voted

1. 1. Biggest Week 1 Upset/Surprise?

• Redskins beating Saints in shootout
    • Bucs winning and shutting down Panthers run game
    • Jets blowing out Bills and putting up 48 points
    • 49ers winning and shutting down the Packers offense

Lost of pretty surprising games in week 1. Which performance shocked you the most?

I think this is a really tough one, but I went the Jets putting up 48 against the Bills. The Bills made a ton of additions to their defense this off-season and it was supposed to be a very good unit. The Jets offense struggled all pre-season and there's been a QB problem there for a while. I never would have expected Sanchez and Co. to put up 48 points against the Bills like they did.

I was surprised the Redskins put 40 points on the Saints with a rookie QB and a 6th round rookie RB.

• Upvote 1

Jetts/Bills have my vote. Not only did I not expect the Jets to produce anything offensively, but I expected Fred Jackson to have a monster game. I also expected Fitzpatrick to at least have a good game, not great but good.

Skins and there's no question.

The only reason the Jets destroying the Bills would be a bigger surprise would be if you thought the preseason carried any weight.

But RG3 going into the Superdome and beating the Saints? I bet he took out quite a few people that were playing survival mode.

Rg3 beating Drew Brees in a shootout in his own house; the DOME!! Nobody saw that coming :nope:

• Upvote 1

Nothing seriously shocked me to be honest. If you came up to me last week and told me RG3 was going to light up the Saints and win I wouldn't be shocked.

• Upvote 1

Nothing seriously shocked me to be honest. If you came up to me last week and told me RG3 was going to light up the Saints and win I wouldn't be shocked.

Not Rg3 winning in THEIR house where they went 9-0 last year including the playoffs? :shifty:

Edited by dutchff7
  • Upvote 2

Ravens Bengals. I did not see the Ravens beating the shit out of the Bengals like that. 44 points?! Cinncy D was damn good last year i thought it was a 17-20 type of game. Nevermind now lol.

Most people saying Redskins/Saints which I completely understand. But maybe this is just more based on my expectations but Bucs over Panthers was a bigger one for me.

I didn't expect the Panthers with all their hype about rushing attack (albeit without Stewart) to be shut down so emphatically in that regard. I also don't, or didn't, expect Tampa Bay to be a good team this year. I figured with their division they were in the basement and maybe Carolina could take that next step.

I'm not going to say I saw Washington over New Orleans and hell if you asked me what was more likely to happen I'd probably say Tampa over Carolina but I don't know, the Saints defense has always been suspect to me and you get to make Brees have a non-Brees like game (which is bound to happen once in a while) and you can catch them.

What I didn't see coming at all was what was expected to be one of the most explosive rushing attacks in football get held to 10 yards.

I shouldn't be surprised by the Bills being dominated, they're the Bills and Fitzpatrick has been figured out. The Bucs were facing the Panthers without their best runningback and the coaches thought they were the Old Raiders or something with the way they were forcing the deep pass. The 49ers winning is not surprising at all, both teams were the class of the NFC last year. So by default, it's the Redskins putting up 40 points with a rookie QB.

How slow TRich looked. I know why, it just astonished me even though I knew. It'd take time.

It's the Redskins win. Not even suprised that Griffin shined. Just really shocked that Drew freakin Brees threw that horrible interception that killed their comeback chances. Can't remember how many times I've seen Drew Brees throw a game away like that. The Saints are one of those teams you count on to score 30 points a game. Anytime the Saints, Packers, or Patriots get outscored, I think it's really an eyebrow raiser, given where the power is in today's NFL. :yep:

• Upvote 1

The Skins game wasn't nearly as surprising to me as the 9ers game. For years all the Skins have been lacking is a decent quarterback. They finally got one and I'm not surprised at how they played. The game to me wasn't as close as the score. At the end of the 3rd quarter it was 30-17. Plus, NO was playing their first game under a 'new' head coach; regardless of how you spin it, there will be pains there. Brees looked off, the defense was way off, both of which I fully expected. I watched the game with a friend of mine who is a big Skins fan. He was nervous as s*** but I kept telling him not to worry, Washington was going to dominate NO. He didn't believe me. I wasn't shocked one bit.

The 9ers was a little more surprising because I didn't expect the Pack to fall off that much, or maybe I just didn't realize how good San Fran is.

The most surprising game to me though, and call me a homer because I am one, was the Dallas game. I thought Dallas had no chance to go in to NY on the heels of their Super Bowl win and beat them in their house on NFL opening night. Even with NY's decimated secondary. No chance. Those are the games Eli normally shines in, and Romo and Dallas' D normally choke in.

I did not see the Bucs beating Carolina, or even coming close to it. I thought Carolina would be an offensive juggernaut this year and maybe they still will be, but I expected the Bucs to lose this game by at least 10 points. I understand it's a division game, but I really didn't believe in what they have. I still don't.

I knew the Jets would win. I actually had initially picked Washington in one league but changed it. I had a feeling about that game, for some reason.

The Redskins/Saints was the most surprising to me. Griffin performed better than I expected and I was surprised to see Brees struggle at times against the Redskins.

The Skins game wasn't nearly as surprising to me as the 9ers game. For years all the Skins have been lacking is a decent quarterback. They finally got one and I'm not surprised at how they played. The game to me wasn't as close as the score. At the end of the 3rd quarter it was 30-17. Plus, NO was playing their first game under a 'new' head coach; regardless of how you spin it, there will be pains there. Brees looked off, the defense was way off, both of which I fully expected. I watched the game with a friend of mine who is a big Skins fan. He was nervous as s*** but I kept telling him not to worry, Washington was going to dominate NO. He didn't believe me. I wasn't shocked one bit.

The 9ers was a little more surprising because I didn't expect the Pack to fall off that much, or maybe I just didn't realize how good San Fran is.

The most surprising game to me though, and call me a homer because I am one, was the Dallas game. I thought Dallas had no chance to go in to NY on the heels of their Super Bowl win and beat them in their house on NFL opening night. Even with NY's decimated secondary. No chance. Those are the games Eli normally shines in, and Romo and Dallas' D normally choke in.

Yeah, I think you under estimated the 49ers. I had the Packers to win that game but if the 49ers played anything close to the way they did last year, I knew they could put up a good game and they played a great game. I just had to see it 1st.

As far as the Giants, I had them to win that game as well. Not surprising that they lost though. The Giants aren't really dominate in the regular season for me to be surprised by them losing especially to a NFC east team when the games within our division are so competitive. The Giants play there best football when their backs are against the wall, Tom Coughlins job in jeopardy, and making a push into the play offs and once they get in the play offs.

RG3s putting up a historic rookie debut performance against Saints in their own house Sean Payton or not, shooting it out with Drew Brees caught the league offguard. I guarantee nobody saw that coming. :nope:

Edited by dutchff7