ATL_Predator

Panthers @ Bears

Problems on the field have led to a shakeup in the front office of the Carolina Panthers, who are looking for some way to turn their dismal season around.

Doing so Sunday may prove difficult as the Panthers try to avoid a fifth straight loss in a matchup with the NFC North-leading Chicago Bears, winners of four in a row.

Less than 24 hours after Sunday's 19-14 home defeat to Dallas dropped Carolina to a conference-worst 1-5, owner Jerry Richardson sent a message to the organization by firing longtime general manager Marty Hurney.

"In a situation like this is, when action is being taken, it doesn't mean the action has stopped," coach Ron Rivera said. "By no means is it over."

With a 7-15 record since taking over in 2011, Rivera feels the pressure to get his team on track. The Panthers had lofty expectations after star rookie Cam Newton led them to wins in four of their final six games last season.

"There is something we have to find that is missing," Rivera said. "I'm not sure if it's a leadership issue, a coaching issue, a playing issue or a schematic issue. But something is out of whack and we have to fix it."

He can start with Newton and an offense that averaged 25.4 points in 2011, but has scored more than 14 twice this year.

Newton has a team-leading 273 rushing yards, but he's thrown five touchdowns and six interceptions. He ran for 64 yards and passed for 233 with a touchdown against the Cowboys, but also threw an INT in the red zone as the Panthers fell to 0-4 in games decided by six or fewer points.

Feature running backs Jonathan Stewart and DeAngelo Williams combined for 39 yards on 12 carries.

"Well everybody's looking at it, it's not just me," he said. "(We) try to find ways to keep games close and whether it's me, I don't know. Whether it's the coordinator, I don't know ... but we've got to find a way to change that."

The Panthers will face a stiff challenge as they try to avoid dropping five in a row for the first time since a seven-game slide Oct. 31-Dec. 12, 2010. Chicago (5-1) is allowing a league-low 13.0 points per game and has forced an NFL-high 21 turnovers.

Newton ran for two scores and threw for 374 yards with a touchdown at Chicago on Oct. 2, 2011, but also had an interception returned for a TD in a 34-29 loss.

Carolina's Steve Smith caught eight passes for 181 yards in the game and has averaged 166.3 in four contests against the Bears. Smith, however, has not caught a TD pass in 2012.

Off to their best start since opening 7-1 in 2006, the Bears forced four turnovers and held Detroit star Calvin Johnson to three receptions for 34 yards in a 13-7 victory Monday.

"(The defense is playing) so well, flying to the ball, stopping the run," quarterback Jay Cutler said. "You can't say enough about the way they're coming together."

Cutler, who has won seven straight home starts, expects to be on the field after playing through bruised ribs suffered on a sack by the Lions' Ndamukong Suh.

After overcoming slow starts in their previous two victories over Dallas and Jacksonville, the Bears reached the end zone on their first drive Monday but settled for two field goals the rest of the night. Chicago will try for a more complete effort against a Carolina team that's allowing 366.2 yards and 24.0 points per game.

"We're still trying to find our way on offense," said receiver Brandon Marshall, who has 25 catches for 363 yards and three TDs in the last three games.

Chicago's Matt Forte has rushed for 203 yards in the past two contests. He's rushed for 371 yards and three TDs in his last two versus Carolina, rolling up a career-high 205 yards on the ground in last season's meeting.

The Panthers placed three-time Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason on injured reserve with knee and shoulder issues Wednesday. The season-ending move wasn't a surprise as Beason has missed the last two games.

The Bears are putting it together, their defense is the best in the league and they're facing one of the most inefficient offenses in the league in Carolina. $cam fans should get ready for another sulking press-conference now.

I don't know.

On paper, the Bears should smear us. I'm not sure I see it.

Steve Smith has torn them to pieces pretty much every time we've played.

The run-game is going to a power-I formation, (finally). I feel like Carolina could pull this one off. I don't know that they will, but I think this will be far closer than most think.

Wow... an inept Carolina offense vs. the Bears defense? If the Panthers manage to get over ten points in this one they'll be lucky.

:Bears: 31

:panthers: 7

If only both teams could lose.

I'll take the Bears though.

Chicago is too good right now.

:panthers: 17

:Bears: 28

Bears declared DT Nate Collins active for Sunday's game against the Panthers.

Collins looked good during training camp and preseason games, but this is the first time he will be active on game day this season.

The Bears declared WR Alshon Jeffery, WR Dane Sanzenbacher, G Edwin Williams, DT Matt Toeaina, TE Brody Eldridge, DT Amobi Okoye, and DE Cheta Ozougwu inactive for Week 8 against the Panthers.

Panthers declared QB Jimmy Clausen, WR Joe Adams, S D.J. Campbell, CB James Dockery, T Bruce Campbell, DE Antwan Applewhite, and DE Thomas Keiser inactive for Week 8 against the Bears.

The Panthers are down to three healthy defensive ends in this matchup, with both Applewhite and Keiser out due to injuries. Expect to see rookie end Frank Alexander quite often, but the Panthers continue to lack talent on the defensive side of the ball.

The Bears are better... However, the Panthers are going to come out and play like they haven't played yet this year. I don't think film study is going to help the Bears much this season. I expect a heavy dose of Jonathan Stewart, and some big time plays from Cam Newton.

Give me the Panthers in this one.

Cutler picked throwing into triple coverage...

Cam fumbles in the endzone but the Panthers recover

Panthers up 13-7 at the half, could be 16-7.

I don't understand the absolutely asinine decision by Rivera to try a hail mary attempt over a 51-yard FG.

If you don't trust Medlock enough to even let him try it, then why is he on the team?

Continually squibbing the ball on kickoffs is going to come back and bite us. I understand Hester is dangerous, but come on, you're giving them the ball on the 40+ every time.

Just knew it was coming, somehow. Carolina always finds a way to lose games where they have the lead in the 4th. Second time a receiver has given up on the play. Smith falls down and doesn't try to do anything. Cam has thrown 2 INTs today, and neither one was his fault in the slightest.

Just so fucking retarded. We manhandled these guys today, and the special teams guy was so scared of Devin Hester that we kept giving the Bears great field position.

Don't forget refusing to allow Medlock to even try to attempt a 51-yard FG at the end of the first half. We still might have the lead if Rivera had let him try that. I mean come on, if you don't even let him try a 51-yarder, why is he on the team?

Edited by Thanatos19

Wow. What happened in this game? I need a Carolina victory, man.

Great drive. Defense has to finish it, Cam gave us the lead.

Wow, Panthers blow it thanks for conservative defensive play calling. I'll never get why teams do it. The Bucs have done the same thing this year.

Yikes.

Absolutely the worst-coached game by Carolina I have ever seen.

Special teams squibbing every kick giving them great field position, and then the defensive coordinator plays soft coverage on two straight TD drives when we had shut them down all day.

Fire Sean McDermott, and fire Rivera while you're at it. They have no clue how to finish games.

Cam is just going to be reinforced in his belief that he has to do everything. Both INTs in this games were not on him, Olsen just stands there on one of them, and Smitty falls down on the other one.

It comes back to the absolutely atrocious defensive playcalling on the last two drives, and you get another one-score loss.

Cam finally comes through in the clutch, drives down and gets a go-ahead FG, and the defense falls back and plays soft with 2:30 left and lets Chicago just march down the field.

Oh right, and I forgot not going for a 51-yard FG at the end of the first half. Just wow. Fire the entire coaching staff and start over for all I care. Chud can stay, though he's on the hotseat, but he called a good game today.

Edited by Thanatos19

Fuck yeah. Should have beaten them by more, but ain't nothing better than a comeback. 6-1. What's your team's record?

I can't wait for the pundits to start talking about how bad Cam did.

Fucking cannot believe this game.

What he did after throwing that pick-six when Smith fell down, to come back in and lead the team down the field and get the go-ahead score, was awesome, and showed a lot more than I thought he had. I was honestly expecting another meltdown, and he would try to force something in and that would be that. But he just takes what the defense gives him and goes right down the field.

And once again the defense falls apart in the final drive. And honestly, it's not really on them, it's the absolutely retarded play-calling by McDermott going to conservative defense with 2:30 left and the Bears only needing a FG. I just don't get it. What type of fucking moron thinks that you should swap to a 3-man rush when you have been manhandling the offensive line all day long?