Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

So, Rian Johnson has said that Episode VIII will pick up directly after TFA with Rey/Luke, which begs the question: why do an opening crawl if there's no time gap between movies? But the movie must have an opening crawl. So what to do? Here's my hope...

The movie starts. We see "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." But then, instead of STAR WARS + dramatic music + title crawl, we fade in on the TFA's last scene. We get a 3-4 minute conversation between Rey and Luke (yes this is a pre-credits scene essentially), during which Luke reveals that he's her father (assuming he is). Finally, Luke uses the Force to take the lightsaber, and fires it up.

Screen goes black. STAR WARS + music + crawl, and maybe we then fast forward a year or two, with the crawl catching us up.

Good? Bad?

It's gotta have the crawl as the opening. Got to. Not sure how that can happen if it picks up literally right after the end of Force Awakens, but I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Also, I don't know what this means, but it's provocative and gets the people going.

http://oneperfectshotdb.com/news/6-before-viii-the-films-rian-johnson-had-the-star-wars-episode-viii-cast-watch/

Influence is inescapable, and often the best way to relate the general feeling of a film to an actor is to show them another film with a similar feel. For example, during the shooting of THERE WILL BE BLOOD, it’s said that Paul Thomas Anderson frequently showed John Huston’s TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE to his cast and crew because it had the tone Anderson was striving for with his own film.

Rian Johnson would seem to be another director who believes in the power of influence, because it’s been reported that he had the cast of STAR WARS EPISODE VIII watch six specific films that he thought would inform their understanding of their present undertaking. Are there clues to EPISODE VIII in his selections? Quite possibly…

TWELVE O’CLOCK HIGH (1949) dir. Henry King

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI (1957) dir. David Lean

THREE OUTLAW SAMURAI (1964) dir. Hideo Gosha

LETTER NEVER SENT (1960) dir. Mikhail Kalatozov

GUNGA DIN (1939) dir. George Stevens

SAHARA (1943) dir. Zoltan Korda

More details about the movies in the link. Again, no idea what, if anything, this means, but it's interesting.

So, what did you guys think about it?

In general I really liked it. It was a good tie in to the main trilogiy, and nice to see a movie that is more from the perspectives of the average soldiers rather than the main players.

However, one thing that I can't get out of my head and I can't stand

You don't want to choke on your ambition.

I loved it, tbh.

The first bit of it was kinda boring, at least to me, but once the story picked up I was completely into it, and the final third of the movie from the point where they left the rebel base was incredible and the ending was nearly perfect, imo.

Rogue One was meh, IMO. The final act was great but it didn't make up for the meh and boring start.

I loved this movie. It was slow to start off, but it won me over completely in the end.

Yea I'm not going to lie, I really don't know what to make of the movie, lol. Because now that I think about it, I was totally into it by the end, but I remember now, I litterally passed out for a solid 5 minutes and a freind had to wake me up.

Maybe it's the architecture school catching up to me, but that's never ever happened at the movies with me. Especially for a Star Wars movie.

This movie is SUPER boring... lol.

I liked the idea of it, the actual action sequences were awesome... But holy shit, I am pretty sure I literally fell asleep during it and beforehand I was super excited for it and couldn't wait to see it. I felt like they just had so much story to tell but they didn't have enough time to show us everything. The beginning seemed super fragmented, jumping from place to place and year to year trying to piece together the foundation of the movie.

Donnie Yen is a bad ass. Easily the best part of this movie, IMO.

Edited by Favre4Ever

RIP Luke then.

Or maybe it's about Snoke who's from the future.

Either way, weird title.

Edited by Vin

I didn't feel The Force Awakens was a cool title either, at first, but it fit the movie.

Also, the plural of Jedi is...Jedi. So this doesn't necessarily mean RIP Luke.

It's fine. Let's see a trailer tho. :devious:

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I was about to say that it doesn't necessarily mean one person. I don't really know much about Star Wars and only watched IV-VI just before VII came out. That being said, my inclination is that this is the point where the good guys realize that Jedi/Sith isn't the answer and they begin to move toward a balance rather than shunning the dark.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Yeah, I was about to say that it doesn't necessarily mean one person. I don't really know much about Star Wars and only watched IV-VI just before VII came out. That being said, my inclination is that this is the point where the good guys realize that Jedi/Sith isn't the answer and they begin to move toward a balance rather than shunning the dark.

Sounds like lots of good stuff for Ben then.

I've run into people who want to see Rey slowly turn to the Dark Side and Ben be redeemed. I have to admit that such complexity to the characters would be cool.

I wouldn't read too much into the title. I don't think they'll kill Luke off because he helps sell the third film. I guess they could still use him as a force ghost though so idk. Seems like Rey and Kylo Ren are going to be in training for a final battle. Wonder what the first order will be planning. I hope it's not another star killer base. That would just be too much like the original trilogy.

Just because the film is titled The Last Jedi doesn't mean the last Jedi (Luke) dies. I think the movie will be about his redemption for failing Kylo and trying to train Rey.

I wouldn't read too much into the title. I don't think they'll kill Luke off because he helps sell the third film. I guess they could still use him as a force ghost though so idk. Seems like Rey and Kylo Ren are going to be in training for a final battle. Wonder what the first order will be planning. I hope it's not another star killer base. That would just be too much like the original trilogy.

But doesn't it have to be a star killer base?

Idk, they do have a massive army too. The clone wars while not perfect was at least original. You don't have to have a gigantic super weapon to take out the rebels. Maybe the baddies are doing something force related thst would fuck shit up. It's still unclear as to what the Knights of Ren actually are. Are they like the evil version of the jedi order? The jedi certainly didn't need a super weapon to help the Senate rule.

Maybe a more interesting twist would be multiple super weapons instead of just 1 more.

But doesn't it have to be a star killer base?

Nah it's gonna be the Galaxy Destroyer. Like the Starkiller base but like 1000 times bigger.