Sign in to follow this  
blotsfan

Disney buys LucasFilm

:ooo::ooo::ooo::ooo::ooo::ooo::ooo:

"It's time for the Jedi to end."

What is Luke talking about? The Jedi are necessary to combat the Sith. So is there a way to end the power struggle? This is an odd route to take considering one of the first lines of dialogue in The Force Awakens was "Without the Jedi, there can be no balance in the Force."

The answer is right in front of you.. You need balance. Individuals who can tap into and use both sides

• Upvote 1

My thoughts as well. It brings to mind the Grey Jedi from the EU. Luke eventually felt that there was no real difference between dark and light side, it was all in the user's intent- the end justifies the means- to the point where he was capable of using force lightning and force choke, two abilities that were primarily used by the Sith.

It could also be that he simply means its time for the Jedi Order to end, as it is almost certain that Kylo Ren was trained by Luke and he feels that training new Jedi simply isn't worth the risk of unleashing another Kylo on the galaxy. So instead, they return to the old way of one master/one apprentice, but not with an organized group, just solo Knights traveling around and doing what they can to help out.

Edited by Thanatos

Or it could be Luke saying he won't train Rey before he changes his mind and decides to train her.

My thoughts as well. It brings to mind the Grey Jedi from the EU. Luke eventually felt that there was no real difference between dark and light side, it was all in the user's intent- the end justifies the means- to the point where he was capable of using force lightning and force choke, two abilities that were primarily used by the Sith.

It could also be that he simply means its time for the Jedi Order to end, as it is almost certain that Kylo Ren was trained by Luke and he feels that training new Jedi simply isn't worth the risk of unleashing another Kylo on the galaxy. So instead, they return to the old way of one master/one apprentice, but not with an organized group, just solo Knights traveling around and doing what they can to help out.

I really hope it's the former. To me, there's just more depth of story there. Plus, the imagery and potential foreshadowing they did with Kylo is too good to pass up.

I'm sure it'll be great either way but I'll be disappointed if they just do option #2. I could see a combination of both potentially.

The trailer makes me hope that #1 is the case, because of the way it is phrased:

"Now reach out. What do you sense?"

"Light... Dark... Balance."

A lot of people are not really seeing this as foreshadowing, that the Balance could be a third view of the force. So Rey is sensing the light side, the dark side, and then the balance. But I think she very well might be.

Edited by Thanatos

Or it could be Luke saying he won't train Rey before he changes his mind and decides to train her.

Wonder when this dilemma has happened in SW before...

I'm excited for the movie, but I really need to go in Star Wars lockdown for the next few months. I don't want to risk thinking about it and spoiling it, or thinking about it and getting attached to the idea in my head to the point that what they actually give is disappointing.

Wonder when this dilemma has happened in SW before...

I'm excited for the movie, but I really need to go in Star Wars lockdown for the next few months. I don't want to risk thinking about it and spoiling it, or thinking about it and getting attached to the idea in my head to the point that what they actually give is disappointing.

The best thing you can do before watching a movie is to NOT watch any of its trailers.

• Upvote 1

The best thing you can do before watching a movie is to NOT watch any of its trailers.

Agreed. I've watched the teaser for The Last Jedi a couple times because it doesn't really show much, but when the other footage-rich trailers come out, I'll watch them once, twice max.

Phil Lord and Chris Miller got fired by Lucasfilm, so they won't be directing Han Solo anymore. Bummer.

Swapping out directors so far into production is pretty concerning, but Ron Howard is stepping in to direct the rest of the way! :yay:

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Lord and Miller were trying to turn it into a Jump Street-type movie.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/obi-wan-kenobi-star-wars-film-planned-director-talks-1030505?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Stephen Daldry is Star Wars’ newest hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars stand-alone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi stand-alone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard, and Lucasfilm is also considering movies centering on Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among other characters.

In the original Star Wars trilogy, Kenobi is a desert-dwelling and war-weary hermit who later proves to be a wise and powerful warrior, brandishing a lightsaber. He is briefly a mentor to a young Luke before being cut down by Darth Vader, his former pupil. Alec Guinness' portrayal of Kenobi garnered him an Oscar nomination.

The character played a central role in the George Lucas-directed prequels, which recount the origin of Vader and his betrayal of Kenobi and the Jedis. McGregor, who played the younger Kenobi in the prequels, has said he would be open to playing the character again. Sources stress, however, that since there is no script, no actor is attached.

Daldry hails from the theater world and made his feature debut with Billy Elliot, which netted him his first directing Oscar nomination. He followed that up with searing dramas The Hours and The Reader, which also netted him directing nominations.

He most recently directed episodes of Netflix’s period drama The Crown, which garnered him an Emmy nomination.

He is repped by CAA.

No point in doing it if McGregor isn't back as Obi-Wan though.

No point in doing it if McGregor isn't back as Obi-Wan though.

which would make perfect sense if they're looking at following Obi-Wan between Episodes III and IV, which I think would be the most interesting period to look at

• Upvote 1

which would make perfect sense if they're looking at following Obi-Wan between Episodes III and IV, which I think would be the most interesting period to look at

Could be especially interesting if Rey ends up being a Kenobi.

(That's speculation, not necessarily a spoiler.)

Fuck McGregor, he sucked. Let's get somebody better.

https://www.thewrap.com/colin-trevorrow-exits-director-star-wars-episode-ix/

Colin Trevorrow is stepping down as the director of “Star Wars: Episode IX,” Disney announced on Tuesday. The shakeup marks the third time in two years — and the second time in three months — that Lucasfilm has parted ways with a director.

“Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on ‘Star Wars: Episode IX,'” Disney said in a statement. “Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.”

In June, Phil Lord and Chris Miller dropped out of the “Star Wars” spinoff about Han Solo due to “different creative visions” for the film. The directors had been at the wheel of the film, starring Alden Ehrenreich in the role that Harrison Ford made famous, along with Donald Glover and Emilia Clarke, for nearly two years. Two days later, Ron Howard stepped in to helm the film.

And in May of 2015, “Fantastic Four” director Josh Trank was fired from an untitled “Star Wars Story” film, believed at the time to be about the bounty hunter Boba Fett, after behind-the-scenes chaos was reported on “Four.” Trank later said he left the “Star Wars” project because he “wanted to do something original.”

Trevorrow directed the 2015 box office hit “Jurassic World” and has a writing credit on its upcoming sequel, “Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.” He was announced as “Episode IX” director in 2015 soon after the success of “World,” but his recent film, “The Book of Henry,” was a critical and commercial flop.

Slated for release in 2019, “Episode IX” concludes the third trilogy of “Star Wars” movies that began with 2015’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens.” Rian Johnson is directing the trilogy’s middle installment, “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” which hits theaters Dec. 15, 2017.

Trevorrow is represented by Rowe PR and 3 Arts Management.

Erbody leaving.

I'm glad given that his last movie was apparently a complete trainwreck.

• Upvote 1

Disney knows what they're doing. No point in blaming the studio, its probably these directors' ego.

I was leery of Trevorrow to begin with. Jurassic World was overwhelmingly mediocre.

I was leery of Trevorrow to begin with. Jurassic World was overwhelmingly mediocre.

I saw it while I was on acid so 'm gonna go ahead a disagree with you on that one hahaha

I liked Jurassic World quite a bit and wasn't even on acid... lol

• Upvote 1

I feel like Kathleen Kennedy is just too difficult to work with for certain directors. She wants to hire someone to make HER vision and a lot of directors really don't like having their creativity limited. However, these guys should know what they're getting into when they sign on to direct a Star Wars movie.