ATL_Predator

Which Rookie Would You Want to Build Your Franchise Around?

2012 NFL Rookies  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which rookie would you want to build your franchise around?

• Doug Martin
    • Robert Griffin III
    • Chandler Jones
    • Luke Kuechly
    • Andrew Luck
    • Casey Heyward
    • Ryan Tannenhill
    • Alrfed Morris
    • Trent Richardson
    • Russell Wilson

So you like not winning Super Bowls. No wonder you're a Falcons fan.

Hey now.....

1. Luck

2. Griffin

3. Wilson

4. Tannehil

Though I am EXTREMELY intrigued by what Tannehil could do with the weaponry of the other three.

Who voted for Wilson? lol

Was wondering that last night.

On the subject of middle round QBs — I think Zac Dysert in the middle rounds of the draft this year can turn out to be a dark horse franchise starting QB in the future.

Luck or RG3 for me but i am really happy with the way Wilson is playing for the Seahawks right now even though he isn't putting up the yards like these other two are.

btw look what Shady McCoy is still doing behind that Eagles O-line... don't care if it is the Saints or not.

Obvious answers are obvious. It's undoubtedly Luck. It's hard to even make a case for anyone else, even playing devil's advocate.

It's rare to see a rookie actually get better by the week. The more tape that teams get on him, the less it matters. This kid is setting rookie records already, and he still has half a season yet to play. He's just as athletic as his rookie counterpart—while not as fast—with an edge in accuracy and decision making. He's also got a pretty strong arm. He's poised, mature,, etc... I could go on and on. I'm sold on the kid.

Honorable mention to Russel Wilson though. I think he's actually got the tools to surpass RGIII if he hasn't already.

Edited by B-isforBowe
  • Upvote 1

Obvious answers are obvious. It's undoubtedly Luck. It's hard to even make a case for anyone else, even playing devil's advocate.

It's rare to see a rookie actually get better by the week. The more tape that teams get on him, the less it matters. This kid is setting rookie records already, and he still has half a season yet to play. He's just as athletic as his rookie counterpart—while not as fast—with an edge in accuracy and decision making. He's also got a pretty strong arm. He's poised, mature,, etc... I could go on and on. I'm sold on the kid.

Honorable mention to Russel Wilson though. I think he's actually got the tools to surpass RGIII if he hasn't already.

+1

The value of a half back is negligible compared to that of a quarterback. Running and controlling the clock is all well and good, but you will get nowhere in today's NFL without a franchise QB unless you have an ELITE defense, and even then it's rare. The 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs were aberrations on a trend of elite QBs winning the Super Bowl over the last two decades, and they won because of their defenses, as previously mentioned. Only four crappy QBs won the Super Bowl in the first 26 seasons, making the score 6/46 for bad QBs winning the Super Bowl, only two of which occurred in the last two decades.

Last 20 years

Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman

Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman

Super Bowl 29. Steve Young

Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman

Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre

Super Bowl 32. John Elway

Super Bowl 33. John Elway

Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner

Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer

Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady

Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson

Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady

Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady

Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger

Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning

Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning

Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger

Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees

Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers

Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning

First 26 Super Bowls (bolded are the crap QBs)

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr

Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath

Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson

Super Bowl 5. John Unitas

Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach

Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese

Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese

Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw

Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw

Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler

Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach

Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw

Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw

Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett

Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana

Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann

Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett

Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana

Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon

Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms

Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams

Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana

Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana

Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler

Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien

Furthermore, runningbacks are a dime a dozen. That's a cliche statement for a reason. 57% of all Super Bowls have been won by QBs drafted in the first round. Only 13 QBs have ever won the Super Bowl and not been a first round pick and 3 of those were shitty ass QBs. Runningbacks can be found in any round of the draft and some great ones go undrafted.

You can take your runningback, but odds are you'll be investing in a losing future unless you find that 11th good non-1st round QB somehow.

I posted it in another thread, but it may be more appropriate here so I'll repeat it, I've always thought this argument was pretty circular, you need an elite QB, but how do we define an 'elite' QB? has he won a Super Bowl? Nobody considered Eli elite before he won a Super Bowl, nobody considered Big Ben elite until he won two, Tom Brady was in his first year as a starter when he won his first one, to show some counter examples how many people think Romo wouldn't be considered elite with a ring? How about Rivers? football is a team game and it doesn't matter how good any player is at any position they're not going to win a Super Bowl on their own

EDIT: thinking again, posting this in two places was a mistake, please respond to this post: http://www.thegridironpalace.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62520-is-a-new-day-dawning/page__view__findpost__p__2438118

Edited by oochymp
  • Upvote 1

This was a really obvious answer. Andrew Luck is like Cam Newton as far as the measurables go, but he still stays in the pocket unless he absolutely has to run. When he does run he can hurt you though. He's in the mold of an Aaron Rodgers. He's mobile and he can run but he's smart enough to know he can do the most damage just staying in the pocket.

Why would people want RGIII? I think the more pressing question is why the fuck would you want to try and build your franchise around a HB, lmao. "BUT HE JUST RAN FOR LIKE 250 YARDZ". Lol.

People can't sit here and act like RG3 isn't a viable option at all. He's playing better then all the other rookie QBs.

Edited by dutchff7

Indeed, RGIII is going to have a better rookie year AND career then Luck. Put it in your sigs. Now.

I'd go with Luck. RG3 and is gimmick offense won't last long. Luck doesn't have near the run game RG3 has.

I also think RG3 will start to fail when defense start taking away his first read, he doesn't scan the field that often.

I'd go with Luck. RG3 and is gimmick offense won't last long. Luck doesn't have near the run game RG3 has.

I also think RG3 will start to fail when defense start taking away his first read, he doesn't scan the field that often.

Rg3 does a pretty good job with his progression reading outside his 1st option. I do believe though that next year defenses will adjust better to him having a full year of tape on him.

Luck is also pretty mobile and CAN run very well if needed. He's just a smart runner and only does it when he has too. He has I believe only 1 less rushing TD then RG3. Not as many yards though ofcourse. Both viable options imo though. I'd still take Luck though.

When I say run game, I'm talking about guys like Alfred Morris. Luck doesn't have anyone like that on his team. Donald Brown is always hurt it seems and Vick Ballard is just okay.

When I say run game, I'm talking about guys like Alfred Morris. Luck doesn't have anyone like that on his team. Donald Brown is always hurt it seems and Vick Ballard is just okay.

Ah okay. Didn't read that correctly. True enough though. Alfred Morris is balling right now and Luck just has the passing game.

Call me crazy but I'm still going with Luck. He stands a lot less of a chance of getting hurt than RGIII who already has had a concussion.

• Upvote 1

Call me crazy but I'm still going with Luck. He stands a lot less of a chance of getting hurt than RGIII who already has had a concussion.

Yeah, I agree. One of the main reasons I'm straying away from Rg3 is because he's going to be more injury prone being a running QB. I preferably want a traditional QB like Luck BUT who can run and make plays when "needed". He's very mobile and more then capable of making plays with his feet. Just less flashy then Rg3.

Does RGIII have the receivers Luck has?

And you do realize that RGIII is pretty much the biggest part of the run game that Luck doesn't have?

• Upvote 1

Does RGIII have the receivers Luck has?

And you do realize that RGIII is pretty much the biggest part of the run game that Luck doesn't have?

Other than Reggie Wayne who does Luck have? A rookie TE? I'd rather have Griffin's more well balanced receiving corps, especially given a much stronger play action game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Other than Reggie Wayne who does Luck have? A rookie TE? I'd rather have Griffin's more well balanced receiving corps, especially given a much stronger play action game.

Don't call Colby Fleener just a rookie TE. He's proven that he's a more than capable target just due to his size. T.Y. Hilton and Donnie Avery are young, but they are more than serviceable targets for Luck...and that Brazil guy too, along with Dwayne Allen who isn't really used for some reason but should be.

RGIII has Alfred Morris, Pierre Garcon, Santana Moss....and the rest are injured. Fred Davis was a target early but he went down..along with numerous other Redskins

Luck has 6 targets, including 2 TE's and no running game

RGIII has 2 passing targets, his own legs, and Alfred Morris.

Don't act like Luck has nothing around him.