ATL_Predator

Which Rookie Would You Want to Build Your Franchise Around?

2012 NFL Rookies  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which rookie would you want to build your franchise around?

• Doug Martin
    • Robert Griffin III
    • Chandler Jones
    • Luke Kuechly
    • Andrew Luck
    • Casey Heyward
    • Ryan Tannenhill
    • Alrfed Morris
    • Trent Richardson
    • Russell Wilson

This NFL season, we have seen numerous rookies at various positions contribute in more than many different ways constantly for different teams. Whether it's RG3 putting his life (literally) on the line for the Redskins, or Doug Martin of the Bucs going off for 250 rushing yards and 4 TD's.

This isn't necessarily a matter of who ROY should be, but more so if you could take any rookie from the draft class of 2012..who would you pick to build your team around and why?

Luck, hands down.

RG3 is good, but I'm unsure how long he will last if he doesn't curb his reckless running. He isn't built like Cam, he can't take those hits.

The play on 4th and 4 Sunday where he leapt into the air and was hit by about 4 Carolina defenders, spun around, and landed on his shoulder nearly gave me a heart-attack. The man has to learn to protect himself.

And long-term I think Luck will be better even if RG3 remains healthy.

Edited by Thanatos19

Luck easily, and it's not even close IMO.

I've ranked Luck as the #1 rookie QB all year even when RGIII had better stats and wins. People called me stupid then, and how could I possibly rank Luck ahead of RGIII with their stats and the way the beginning of the season went, and now—well now, they've shut up.

Luck's been making all the hard plays, throws down field and threatens/puts pressure on the defense way more than RGIII. I still like RGIII as a prospect, I just like Luck that much more.

Luck no question. Tannehill would be 2nd.

Edited by dutchff7

1.Adrew Luck

2.Robert Griffin III

3.Ryan Tannehill

4.Doug Martin

Everybody else

Luck easily. Guy is the real deal. When they build a strong team around him, they will be playoff contenders.

Really close race between Doug Martin and Andrew Luck for me. However, I believe I would want Doug Martin. The guy can run the ball, and he can catch passes out of the back field. If he keeps it up, he's going to be considered one of the best backs in all of football soon.

I can easily sway myself to Andrew Luck though. His pocket presences is just ridiculous, and he knows when to run - when he does run, he does it well. Guy has unbelievable accuracy and can make every type of throw he needs to make.

May I have them both?

Also, I know some people will pick RG3 in this poll. I ask though, why? Why would you want to build your franchise around a guy who actually is in position to be injured more often than he needs to be? If you are going to go with a quarterback, I would almost think that you have to go with Luck.

Luke Kuechly,no doubt :yep:

Maybe Lavonte David,guy's been awesome recently..

• Upvote 1

Luke Kuechly,no doubt :yep:

Maybe Lavonte David,guy's been awesome recently..

So you go defense I see...I personally would pick Kuechly as well. A future Quarterback of the defense to me is a step right below the quarterback of the offense.

If ATL were to build a franchise...I'm starting on the defensive side of the ball, and Kuechly is a special player that I would love to build a defense, let alone, a team around.

Lol at choosing a HB to build a franchise around. Running backs are so interchangeable these days. The days of a workhorse back are long gone. I went with Luck for reasons stated above.

• Upvote 1

Seeing as though this is basically a draft, there's no way I'm not choosing the best QB 1st let along picking another position outside QB to build my franchise around; especially a RB.

• Upvote 1

If you want a QB of the defense, I'd look no further than Harrison Smith, this guy is in the right position incredibly often, rarely gets burned, and the secondary has shown a ton of improvement with his addition (Seahawks game hopefully being an aberration). My choice though, and this is simply because he's been the most dominant rookie force as a pass rusher is Chandler Jones. Might just be BB's scheme making him unreal, but he's already looking like the next Willie McGinest for them, or maybe something more.

Arian Foster went undrafted for Christ sake. You can find these gems at RB and with any resemble of a competent line.

Chris Ivory is another back who I'm high on. Went undrafted.

• Upvote 1

Who in the fuck would want to build their franchise around a RB in today's NFL?

Jesus fucking Christ.

Edited by Mathias
  • Upvote 2

Or a LB for that matter? Kuechly is gonna be a stud and everything, but unless that LB is Lawrence Taylor or a young Ray Lewis what are you thinking?

Franchise QB, always. serviceable HBs, and LBs can be had way easier.

• Upvote 2

Or a LB for that matter? Kuechly is gonna be a stud and everything, but unless that LB is Lawrence Taylor or a young Ray Lewis what are you thinking?

Franchise QB, always. serviceable HBs, and LBs can be had way easier.

:yeahthat:

No doubt it is Luck, for me. I love RG3 and his potential, but with how often he runs it and gets smacked, I couldn't trust him staying healthy his entire career.

I love Doug Martin and Lavonte David and think it's awesome they've been mentioned in this thread, but there's no doubt in my mind the guy I want to build around is Luck. A franchise QB is the best thing a team can have. And Luck is going to be a special one.

• Upvote 1

You gave me a set list of players to build around. I would take a running back. Hell, I may even argue to take a top lineman if I had one on that list.

1 Luck 2 Martin 3 Tannehill

You don't need an All Pro QB to have a good team. You can still win with the power run. I would surely see no issue taking a polarizing back with pass catching ability. A guy that can do it all so to speak.

Yes, Foster was found in the seventh round. Big deal.With your guys logic, basically if there was a league redraft the top 20 picks would all be QBs. You build a team to your liking. I'm more interested in a power run, clock killing offense.

Luck. Not only should you always build around QB in today's NFL, he's the best rookie prospect in years.

You gave me a set list of players to build around. I would take a running back. Hell, I may even argue to take a top lineman if I had one on that list.

1 Luck 2 Martin 3 Tannehill

You don't need an All Pro QB to have a good team. You can still win with the power run. I would surely see no issue taking a polarizing back with pass catching ability. A guy that can do it all so to speak.

Yes, Foster was found in the seventh round. Big deal.With your guys logic, basically if there was a league redraft the top 20 picks would all be QBs. You build a team to your liking. I'm more interested in a power run, clock killing offense.

*undrafted.

My mistake on that one. Now that I'm thinking about it, hell - who needs a quarterback? I mean, the Patriots found Tom Brady...

I get how stupid that sounds. Which is exactly why I said that. I'll keep my stance that if I had to chose one of the players given in the poll it's Martin then a close second is Luck for me. If I were building a team, I would never have a passing team. It's all about winning TOP and the battles at the LOS for me.

The value of a half back is negligible compared to that of a quarterback. Running and controlling the clock is all well and good, but you will get nowhere in today's NFL without a franchise QB unless you have an ELITE defense, and even then it's rare. The 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs were aberrations on a trend of elite QBs winning the Super Bowl over the last two decades, and they won because of their defenses, as previously mentioned. Only four crappy QBs won the Super Bowl in the first 26 seasons, making the score 6/46 for bad QBs winning the Super Bowl, only two of which occurred in the last two decades.

Last 20 years

Super Bowl 27. Troy Aikman

Super Bowl 28. Troy Aikman

Super Bowl 29. Steve Young

Super Bowl 30. Troy Aikman

Super Bowl 31. Brett Favre

Super Bowl 32. John Elway

Super Bowl 33. John Elway

Super Bowl 34. Kurt Warner

Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer

Super Bowl 36. Tom Brady

Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson

Super Bowl 38. Tom Brady

Super Bowl 39. Tom Brady

Super Bowl 40. Ben Roethlisberger

Super Bowl 41. Peyton Manning

Super Bowl 42. Eli Manning

Super Bowl 43: Ben Roethlisberger

Super Bowl 44: Drew Brees

Super Bowl 45: Aaron Rogers

Super Bowl 46: Eli Manning

First 26 Super Bowls (bolded are the crap QBs)

Super Bowl 1. Bart Starr (MVP), 2 TDs

Super Bowl 2. Bart Starr

Super Bowl 3. Joe Namath

Super Bowl 4. Len Dawson

Super Bowl 5. John Unitas

Super Bowl 6. Roger Staubach

Super Bowl 7. Bob Griese

Super Bowl 8. Bob Griese

Super Bowl 9. Terry Bradshaw

Super Bowl 10. Terry Bradshaw

Super Bowl 11. Ken Stabler

Super Bowl 12. Roger Staubach

Super Bowl 13. Terry Bradshaw

Super Bowl 14. Terry Bradshaw

Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett

Super Bowl 16. Joe Montana

Super Bowl 17. Joe Theismann

Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett

Super Bowl 19. Joe Montana

Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon

Super Bowl 21. Phil Simms

Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams

Super Bowl 23. Joe Montana

Super Bowl 24. Joe Montana

Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler

Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien

Furthermore, runningbacks are a dime a dozen. That's a cliche statement for a reason. 57% of all Super Bowls have been won by QBs drafted in the first round. Only 13 QBs have ever won the Super Bowl and not been a first round pick and 3 of those were shitty ass QBs. Runningbacks can be found in any round of the draft and some great ones go undrafted.

You can take your runningback, but odds are you'll be investing in a losing future unless you find that 11th good non-1st round QB somehow.

• Upvote 1

Brandon "Get Off My Lawn" Weeden.

To each their own I suppose, as I said before. I will take a 2nd - 3rd round quarterback with a strong running game.