Sign in to follow this  
WindyCitySports

A victory for libertarianism

Ladies and gentlemen, last night was the biggest night for libertarians since Ron Paul nearly tied Iowa. Here is why:

1) The GOP has now run two moderate RINOs who got shellacked in the general. The are realizing that they have to embrace social liberalism if they ever want to win.

2) Marijuana is now treated like alcohol in the state of Colorado. Medical marijuana is legal in Massachusetts and I believe Washington.

3) Gay marriage is now legal in Maryland and "not illegal" in Minnesota.

4) Alabama has now nullified Obamacare, even though that won't work out.

5) Rand Paul already hinted at a 2016 run on Facebook.

For liberty!

1) The GOP has now run two moderate RINOs who got shellacked in the general. The are realizing that they have to embrace social liberalism if they ever want to win.

So because moving to the left didn't work (otherwise they wouldn't be moderates), they should move even further to the left?

So because moving to the left didn't work (otherwise they wouldn't be moderates), they should move even further to the left?

Yeah, I think the Republicans need to move to the right.

They are losing their base. The base was simply not enthusiastic about voting for Romney.

They are losing their base. The base was simply not enthusiastic about voting for Romney.

I disagree. Republicans aren't losing their base; the Republican base is becoming further and further detached from reality. Though you are right in that the conservative core had trouble building enthusiasm for Romney, let's consider a hypothetial scenario in which the Republicans nominate a true conservative, a man so far right he ignites the base like never before.

Rick fucking Santorum.

Now fast forward to the general election. Instead of Obama vs. Romney, it's Obama vs. Santorum. You know how that's going to turn out? A fucking blowout. The independent voters would be scared as hell of Santorum, and Obama would kick ass in the election. I confess that if this had happened in real life, I may have voted for Obama in the hopes of preventing a Santorum victory.

Anyway, I think the Republican Party realizes it's in trouble. Look at how badly they're losing the votes of racial minorities and women. There used to be a day when white men ruled this country, but that day has long passed. Times change, and the Republican Party must change as well.

LMAO at Rick Santorum being a true conservative. You deserve a ban for that one.

The main problem is that Republicans are far too LIBERAL these days. I don't even know if you want to count them as moderates. That'd be a compliment. The good ol boys have certain ideals that are moving away from their core beliefs. The platform has evolved over the last few elections, and that's not a good thing.

That's not to say one view is better than the other, but this is part of the reason why the parties are so eerily similar. They agree on most of the issues... Since when do two polar opposite entities all of a sudden share so many common interests?

They need to move further right. Not saying all the way, which I generally lean towards, but there are certain pillars of Conservatism and Libertarianism that once worked as the framework for the Republican party.

Not any more.

LMAO at Rick Santorum being a true conservative. You deserve a ban for that one.

I was referring to his social beliefs, not economic. I'm not sure there are any fiscal conservatives left; both parties just want to spend this country into the ground.

Republicans had no hope to beat a man that places an EMPHASIS on minorities, women and young adults.

Fuck. Look at the United States for a moment.

A majority of the southwest is predominantly hispanic, as well as in many urban areas and Florida. They are the fastest growing populace in the entire United States.

There are more and more single mother's that struggle to raise kids by themselves because of a male populace that could care more about sex, sports, and video games and earning more money to spend in these areas. I know that everyone's different, but the rise of women in power would not happen if men were as responsible as they once were back in the day.

The Republican party cannot relate with these people with the Democrats. Because generally, your true conservative Republicans are of the white populace that frowns upon minorities because of ignorance. Even if the Republicans do change for 2016...who would really believe that their change was there to stay?

Not saying Democrats are any better, but whoever the third party is in 2016 will likely steal many votes from the Republicans. Two-Party system can stay alive...but the Republican party needs to realize they're old news.

• Upvote 1

As for that picture Zack posted, why are voter ID requirements so bad? I understand that people weren't sure if they'd be able to get one in time for this election, but are we really supposed to believe that someone who is able to vote can't find a way to get a drivers licence/ID card at some point in the next year?

Guest Phailadelphia

SteVo hit the nail on the head. Minorities will never vote in a far right candidate.

• Upvote 1

SteVo hit the nail on the head. Minorities will never vote in a far right candidate.

They will if he is a minority.

Guest Phailadelphia

As for that picture Zack posted, why are voter ID requirements so bad? I understand that people weren't sure if they'd be able to get one in time for this election, but are we really supposed to believe that someone who is able to vote can't find a way to get a drivers licence/ID card at some point in the next year?

They're bad because they're unnecessary. Both parties like to posture a lot about voter fraud but the reality is that it's not actually happening. So in the name of supposedly fixing a problem that doesn't even exist, they're preventing people from voting.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Libertarians don't fit on the left right spectrum.

They will if he is a minority.

The Republcians' best hope is Christie, in my opinion. The Tea Partiers are already right enough... if they move any further they could probably be considered cryptofascists.

But just because it hasn't happened doesnt mean it couldn't. I cant imagine how someone is unable to get an ID given a years notice but is a capable enough part of our society to vote.

I think, JD, you should define what you mean by "farther right." I have a suspicion of what you mean but I'm not sure. Social Conservatism has changed so much in the recent past that I'm not sure how people define it anymore.

Fiscal conservatism is nearly dead, it seems.

When I think of farther right it entails far more states rights and much smaller government, to include keeping many social issues that the GOP currently touts (gay marriage, abortion, even welfare, etc) up to the states and keeps the Fed out of it. That is currently not the state of the GOP it seems.

Edited by GA_Eagle

I think, JD, you should define what you mean by "farther right." I have a suspicion of what you mean but I'm not sure. Social Conservatism has changed so much in the recent past that I'm not sure how people define it anymore.

Fiscal conservatism is nearly dead, it seems.

When I think of farther right it entails far more states rights and much smaller government, to include keeping many social issues that the GOP currently touts (gay marriage, abortion, even welfare, etc) up to the states and keeps the Fed out of it. That is currently not the state of the GOP it seems.

It's something hard to define, as you say, because it is changing so much.

But ya. Pro liberty... Pro states rights. Anti-War (which has changed recently). Pro-Gay Rights. Fiscal responsibility.

It's kind of a mesh of Conservatism and Libertarianism. Although, maybe I am biased because that's where I fall. :p

A lot of the social issues need to change, because that is the world we live in. Most of everything else needs to move right like foreign policy, small government, etc etc.

• Upvote 1

They're bad because they're unnecessary. Both parties like to posture a lot about voter fraud but the reality is that it's not actually happening. So in the name of supposedly fixing a problem that doesn't even exist, they're preventing people from voting.

This is a stupid comment. Voter ID laws help to PREVENT any current or future voter fraud. People lie all the time, and that's why you need a picture ID to but alcohol when you turn 21 (18 and 19 in Canada, depedning on the province, and other countries it's 20). If you need a picture ID to buy alcohol, then why wouldn't you need a picture ID to vote. Blots is correct in saying that it's not that fuckin expensive to buy a picture ID before you vote in the next election. It's something called be responsible and save up enough money to buy one if you really want to vote that bad! An person who disagrees with this logic is seriously disillusional.

Phail, you got any proof to back up that its not actually happening? I've heard all sorts of things about that it is happening.

That's kinda dumb to say "Oh well it's not happening so we don't have to worry about it" when the reality is, with no voter ID requirements, an illegal immigrant can walk into a voting booth and vote.

Now chances are they vote for the Dems, so I can see why the Democrats wouldn't be crazy about voter ID laws.

Guest Phailadelphia

Phail, you got any proof to back up that its not actually happening? I've heard all sorts of things about that it is happening.

That's kinda dumb to say "Oh well it's not happening so we don't have to worry about it" when the reality is, with no voter ID requirements, an illegal immigrant can walk into a voting booth and vote.

Now chances are they vote for the Dems, so I can see why the Democrats wouldn't be crazy about voter ID laws.

There are two studies I'm aware of that have looked at voter fraud. The first is by News21, where they found only 10 cases since 2000 that actually led to persecution.

Another, by a Rutgers political scientist who I forget the name of found voter fraud to be "statistically zero."

If I remember correctly, both studies went on to explain that most "voting fraud" cases are for two reasons; (1) there is no national voter registration system, which leads to mistakes, or more likely (2) most of the voter fraud allegation cases are found to be mistakes made by those working the polls, not by the voters themselves.

You have to register to vote, which is an ID check in itself is it not? A random can't walk up to a poll and vote without first proving he's registered to vote in that county. I know this because I tried, forgetting in 2010 that I was still registered in Tarrant County, TX rather than Hays County, TX where I was trying to vote.

Furthermore, if voter ID laws were fixing anything or preventing anything, courts around the country wouldn't be striking them down left and right. If there is a problem with voter fraud, it's in absentee balloting. And voter ID laws aren't going to fix that.

Edit: Dems aren't crazy about voter ID laws because they disproportionately affect minorities.

Edited by Phailadelphia

Obama would have won Florida, Ohio, and all of the other battleground states even if all of the Libertarians had voted for Romney. Fucking idiots, I swear.

This crazy cunt lives in Nebraska and in her rant she invites us to come to her house to kiss her ass. She said she'd be happy to find any of us on her doorstep unannounced or in her bedroom in the middle of the night. I should contact her to oblige and slit her throat and do the world a favor.

What's sad is that most Nebraskans are as out of touch as this twat.

She's a self-proclaimed Sara Palin supporter. Her license plate is S Palin, lmao. Her Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/shelly.l.dankert?fref=ts

EDIT:

She lives about 3 hours from me. I'm tempted to make a trip there and drive around until I see her license plate and knock on her door and throw a jar of urine in her face or something, lol.

http://en.gravatar.com/shellymic

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Now that's a rant. I think Rove should've done that on air.

• Upvote 1