Sign in to follow this  
Maverick

Press 1 for English, 2 for Spanish

I'm sure we've all heard this before. How about choosing a language before using an ATM? Whatever the case may be, it's quite obvious that English is slowly drifting away as America's Official Language and may be sharing that title with the Spanish language soon. There's many jobs now that require you to speak Spanish as well.

What do you guys think about this? I'm interested to hear the opinion of our Hispanic members such as KiLa.

Personally, I like this quote from an immigrant that moved here from Chile:

"The problem is we are slowing down the assimilation of new immigrants by making it way too easy to come to this country and not learn English," says Mujica, a native of Chile.

"An immigrant is an invited guest to this country," he says. "We invited ourselves. The least we can do is integrate and become part of the new country."

I know in PA at DMV they have the Pennsylvania Driver's Manual in Spanish - which I find odd since traffic signs are in English. That's just one of many examples.

Eh, I think this is a non-issue. You can not know another language and know what road signs say. Many other countries have English everywhere on top of their native language (to a much greater extent than we have Spanish here), and they don't seem to have a problem keeping their national identity or their official language. People will assimilate just fine, and if they don't they won't become ultimately as successful as someone who does learn the language, etc.

• Upvote 1

Not a huge issue. I don't mind pressing 1 button on an ATM machine, literally takes like 2 seconds. Other countries do the same things with English like GA said.

I personally see nothing wrong with this, it should be required for those of Hispanic descent coming to the US to learn English. At the same time, I think it would be beneficial for many of us to learn Spanish. They're a growing people in our country whether you like it or not.

I know both Spanish and English with a little Creole...it's a huge benefit, considering with Spanish and English you can travel almost anywhere in the Western Hemisphere and have an actual coherent conversation with someone.

Edited by ATL

Spanish is not a language in America, so the immigrants should fuckin learn English or GTFO!

That immigrant from Chile is 110% correct!

• Upvote 1

Spanish is not a language in America, so the immigrants should fuckin learn English or GTFO!

That immigrant from Chile is 110% correct!

Spanish is a language everywhere...

But I assume you meant "official language", of which English is not either.

Spanish is a language everywhere...

But I assume you meant "official language", of which English is not either.

Yes, I think English should be made an official language for all government functions or public places (retaurants, movie theatres, etc.)

Guest Phailadelphia

I don't see the big deal about it. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to have to press "1" for English?

I think that people should learn English in America but you can't expect it to happen instantly. I don't have an issue with a button for Spanish for something so important. I know some Spanish but I'd be afraid to use an ATM with it.

I went with this topic title just to give it an interesting name, but I think I should change it considering many of you are focusing on that specific example lol...my bad for putting the focus on the wrong thing.

As of now, I agree with the majority here saying it's not really a big deal. The only thing that scares me is how it's becoming much more prevalent in requirements for jobs. The percentage is still small, but growing.

Keep in mind the area you live in, too. It may not be a big deal to somebody living in Kansas, but a member living in Miami may have a different opinion. I've got my fut'bol friends so I'll be alight. :grinno:

the problem I've always seen with this is when does it stop? if we start adding Spanish to everything why not add French to everything? or German? or Chinese? GA pointed out that a lot of European countries post signs in English as well as their native languages, but there's a reason they use English, English is pretty widely considered the international language for a reason, most people who work internationally know English, most countries in Europe teach English early, so English is a great secondary language to use on signage because a lot of international travelers will know it, there isn't such an easy language to use if English is the primary native language, so if you start adding other languages how do you decide when to stop? I think the quote from the Chilean immigrant hits the point well, I know I wouldn't move to France without learning French and I wouldn't expect to function for more than a short vacation without at least a working knowledge of the language, and I just chose France as an example (probably because I took French in high school) but the same goes for any other country, so I don't think it's unfair to expect the same from people who decide they want to live in the US, even though English is not an official national language, it is the language in which nearly all of the country operates

• Upvote 2

the problem I've always seen with this is when does it stop? if we start adding Spanish to everything why not add French to everything? or German? or Chinese? GA pointed out that a lot of European countries post signs in English as well as their native languages, but there's a reason they use English, English is pretty widely considered the international language for a reason, most people who work internationally know English, most countries in Europe teach English early, so English is a great secondary language to use on signage because a lot of international travelers will know it, there isn't such an easy language to use if English is the primary native language, so if you start adding other languages how do you decide when to stop? I think the quote from the Chilean immigrant hits the point well, I know I wouldn't move to France without learning French and I wouldn't expect to function for more than a short vacation without at least a working knowledge of the language, and I just chose France as an example (probably because I took French in high school) but the same goes for any other country, so I don't think it's unfair to expect the same from people who decide they want to live in the US, even though English is not an official national language, it is the language in which nearly all of the country operates

None of those other languages have anywhere close to the amount of native speakers as Spanish speakers, here. The likelihood of getting anywhere close to the amount of native speakers in those languages that cannot also understand English is nearly nil for at least the foreseeable future, mostly due to proximity. We don't post signs in most languages because of this.

Like I said, anyone that wants to succeed in life should do the things that it takes, for those that only speak Spanish, their options will be limited, until they learn English. I do expect people to learn English, and we do not make it so easy to speak Spanish only in this country.

Mav makes an excellent point about Miami and the Southwest, though. Anyone working a customer service job, at least, will pretty much have to know Spanish and that kinda sucks. However, it should be known that people do learn English with time, if not the first generation immigrant than certainly the second will be fluent English speakers. It does go both ways, though. Knowing the demographics of your area, if you live in a location with a high Spanish speaking population, you should take steps to make yourself more marketable... you know personal responsibility and all that. If you aren't willing to educate yourself to succeed then don't succeed, its up to you.

None of those other languages have anywhere close to the amount of native speakers as Spanish speakers, here. The likelihood of getting anywhere close to the amount of native speakers in those languages that cannot also understand English is nearly nil for at least the foreseeable future, mostly due to proximity. We don't post signs in most languages because of this.

I think nearly nil for the foreseeable future is taking it a little far, but I see your point, that said, I still stand by my last point, I wouldn't go to a different country for an extended period of time without learning the native language (whether it's official or not) so I don't think it's too much to expect the same from people who become permanent residents of the US

Like I said, anyone that wants to succeed in life should do the things that it takes, for those that only speak Spanish, their options will be limited, until they learn English. I do expect people to learn English, and we do not make it so easy to speak Spanish only in this country.

Mav makes an excellent point about Miami and the Southwest, though. Anyone working a customer service job, at least, will pretty much have to know Spanish and that kinda sucks. However, it should be known that people do learn English with time, if not the first generation immigrant than certainly the second will be fluent English speakers. It does go both ways, though. Knowing the demographics of your area, if you live in a location with a high Spanish speaking population, you should take steps to make yourself more marketable... you know personal responsibility and all that. If you aren't willing to educate yourself to succeed then don't succeed, its up to you.

I can't really disagree with this, and I think (though I could be entirely off on this) that a lot is dependent on regional demographics, in other words I would imagine most ATMs in South Florida or the Southwest have a Spanish option

also, just to throw this out there, I think the US should put more emphasis on learning foreign languages in general, but that's an entirely different discussion

also, just to throw this out there, I think the US should put more emphasis on learning foreign languages in general, but that's an entirely different discussion

I definitely agree with this. The world is becoming smaller and we're a bit spoiled because we're somewhat isolated from many of the world's languages because most countries in this hemisphere speak English or Spanish, with just a couple of notable exceptions. Also English is a lingua franca so nearly every educated person in Europe and to a lesser extent around the world speaks it. However, I think its becoming more and more imperative to speak more than one language.

I kind of agree with it keeping immigrants from learning English. I knew people with parents that never bothered learning English because they didn't honestly have to. In states with high Hispanic populations, you can do almost anything without needing to speak a word of English, and in the rare case that they couldn't, they took their kid along to translate.

That said, I don't really care about it. I've never had something I would consider a real issue having to do with someone not speaking English. If I have to take an extra few seconds to hit the English button, who really cares. I waste more time on this forum in a week than I probably would in a lifetime having to press that button. The only time non-English people bother me is when you get those rare assholes that get upset at you for not knowing how to speak Spanish. I was shocked the first time I had to encounter one of those.

I think they should be made to learn English. As it has been stated it is not a huge deal but I would not go to live in a different country without knowing the language. Our society has become entirely to passive and understanding when people come here and have no idea how to communicate effectively and then expect us to accommodate. I have learned four languages because it turns out when you are in an area it is handy to know what people are saying for the whole when in rome thing.

Now am I going to throw a fit over it ? No. It isnt worth it and will never happen so fuck it. However I dont see how you really say they should not be made to learn it.

The only time non-English people bother me is when you get those rare assholes that get upset at you for not knowing how to speak Spanish. I was shocked the first time I had to encounter one of those.

Do tell...

Not to be a ball buster but English is not the "official language" of the USA. We don't have one. And I really don't mind it.

Not to be a ball buster but English is not the "official language" of the USA. We don't have one. And I really don't mind it.

I didn't technically mean "official language".

Yes, I'm aware that we do not have an official language. There are groups trying to lobby for it, but they're probably 100 years too late for that lol...

Edited by Maverick

I think most of us understand that, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the native language for 90% of the country's citizens and about 98% of those born in this country (note: percentages were entirely made up and I really can't back them up other than to say that I'm pretty sure they're close :p)

Edited by oochymp

I actually like it to be honest. I mean America has always been viewed as a predominantly white, English speaking nation which we kind of still are. But it's nice to see another culture involve itself in the country more.

I was in Europe over the summer and all the signs in Airports had Italian on the top, English below. As far as I could tell, the Italians had no problem with the large amount of English speakers there. Italian was still the most popular language to speak and it's not like native Italians were forgetting their language. Many were just bilingual.

I don't see how making America more open to more languages and cultures is a bad thing.