BLUE

Update: Gronkowski will open camp on active/PUP list

You never know with Gronk, he probably has like 50 STD's.

Rob Gronkowski's (arm surgeries) player rep says speculation he's in danger of missing Week 1 is "way off," and that "no determination" has been made that he'll need a fourth operation.

"I'm not sure what's going to happen," Gronk's rep insisted. "There's no surgery scheduled, and we're not sure he's gonna need one." That's all good and well, but Gronk's rep never really ended up refuting the Boston Herald's report. There are four months to go between now and Week 1, but for the moment, Gronk is anything but a guarantee to be ready.

Source: Ben Volin on Twitter

Citing multiple sources, ESPN Boston reports Rob Gronkowski is still "a couple of weeks away" from a determination on whether he'll need a fourth surgery on his fractured, then infected left forearm.

The Pats used April as a "wait-and-see" month, and doctors will soon examine his arm to see if the infection has cleared. Gronkowski is participating in the club's offseason conditioning program and "looks great," according to one person who's seen him. Beat writer Mike Reiss confirms so far there have been "no unexpected setbacks." If Gronk needed the fourth arm surgery, multiple reports have indicated his Week 1 status would be jeopardized.

Source: ESPN Boston

It sucks that they are sitting on making a decision so long. The decision will certainly make or break his season. The guy is a pure machine when he's on the field, I actually like seeing what he can do. Hopefully he can come out healthy and give us another show like in 2011.

Per Rotoworld.com:

A source tells the Boston Herald that Rob Gronkowski will indeed need a fourth operation on his forearm.

The fourth procedure will be to remove the plate that's securing the broken bone in Gronk's troublesome left forearm. If the following tests show that the infection has been completely flushed out, then a new plate will be put in and the recovery will begin. In that scenario, Gronk will almost certainly be ready for Week 1. The concern is that if there are still signs of the infection, he'll need a fifth surgery. In that case, the Herald says Gronkowski's "participation for the start of the season and perhaps beyond would be in jeopardy." May 8 - 10:24 AM

Source: Boston Herald

I think that SVP said it best earlier today on his show, "This whole situation makes me wonder if the team doctors or whoever did the surgery cut into his arm with a rusty butter knife and dirty gloves"

Sucks for Gronkowski, two years ago he was tearing up the history books, now people are wondering if this arm issue will go ever go away.

Edit- my phone didn't load the last... 20 posts so my response seems out of left field. Sorry about that.

Belicheck is one of the greatest coaches and football minds of all time. Not his fault others haven't done seemingly obvious things like the no huddle crutch or even filming his opponents. He is outside looking in, and has advanced the game enough to deserve the accolades, and the hate. Sure they haven't won it all or dominated everybody since spygate, but if the criticism is not winning it all, you've done something right.

Our opinions aside, dude seems to have a weak forearm bone, maybe he needs an achilles transplant. :)

Edited by the Lions fan

Per Rotoworld.com:

Rob Gronkowski underwent an MRI on Monday to check a disc issue in his back and "could require surgery."

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport heard Gronkowski is battling "chronic back pain," necessitating the MRI. It's worth remembering Gronk missed the entire 2009 season at Arizona after surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back. A first-round talent, Gronk slipped to the 42nd pick amid rumors he had spinal stenosis. USA Today reports Gronkowski's back became an issue again "dating back to last season," though it concerns a "different disc" than the one Gronk had repaired in college. A decision on whether further surgery will be required has "not yet been made." Gronkowski is already scheduled for a fourth arm surgery on Monday. He'll seek an opinion on the back from Dr. Robert Watkins "in the near future." Per NFL Network's Albert Breer, the back surgery "looks likely." May 17 - 3:26 PM

Source: USA Today

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Rob Gronkowski's potential back operation is considered "minor," and wouldn't necessarily sideline him any longer than his arm surgeries.

The back surgery is considered "likely," per NFL Net's Albert Breer, but Schefter reports the operation would take place within the timeframe of Gronk's absence due to a fourth arm procedure. "He is going to be fine long term," said a source close to Gronkowski. "(He is) not worried about the short term, i.e. start of training camp." Either way, multiple offseason surgeries on multiple body parts are cause for major fantasy football alarm. And the fact that Gronkowski is in line to have had two back surgeries since 2009 is absolutely a long-term worry. May 17 - 3:42 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com that Rob Gronkowski will "probably" require back surgery after receiving a second opinion from Dr. Robert Watkins.

It's confirmation of NFL Network's previous report that the surgery "looks likely." Per PFT, the back surgery will take place in 3-4 weeks following Monday's surgery on Gronkowski's forearm. Doctors don't want to schedule the two surgeries too close together. Although the back surgery is considered "minor" in comparison to the operation that cost him the entire 2009 college season, Gronkowski's Week 1 availability is now very much in doubt. May 17 - 4:49 PM

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Rob Gronkowski's back surgery recovery is expected to take ten weeks.

There are about 16 weeks left before Week 1. Profootballtalk has reported the back surgery will occur roughly 3-4 weeks following Gronkowski's Monday arm procedure, putting a tentative return timetable at 2-3 weeks before the season, assuming all healing proceeds without setbacks. At this point, we can't expect Gronkowski to participate at all in the preseason, but he still has a shot to be ready for Opening Day. The Pats open Sunday, September 8 at Buffalo.

Source: ESPN.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000207740/article/patriots-rob-gronkowski-to-have-back-surgery

Patriots' Rob Gronkowski to have back surgery

Rob Gronkowski is set to return to the operating table, but it doesn't involve his troublesome forearm.

NFL.com's Albert Breer reported Wednesday that the New England Patriots tight end will need back surgery, according to a source briefed on his status. Surgery tentatively is set for mid-June and will be performed by Dr. Robert Watkins, who did Gronkowski's previous back surgery while the tight end was in college.

It's expected that Gronkowski will miss at least part of Patriots training camp.

This doesn't count as a surprising development. The possibility of back surgery previously was known, though the team had held out hope it could be avoided. Gronkowski has had back issues going back to his days at Arizona.

The news is better concerning Gronkowski's recently repaired left forearm, which is healing with no sign of the infection resurfacing. It remains possible the tight end will be healthy and ready for Week 1, but matters increasingly are getting complicated.

Dam, it's one thing after another with Gronk. Such an amazing player being subject to so many injuries. I wish him a speedy recovery AND to stay healthy afterwards.

Very unfortunate to see such a great player battle so many injuries like this. Hope he makes a full recovery, Gronk is the man.

I used to say on the Colts forums that Gronk reminded me a bit of the offensive version of the Colts Bob Sanders. When he is healthy the entire team gets a spark from this game changer.....

When he is hurt you can manage but you miss him dearly and his physical presence, even if the next man up is good enough.

I hope Gronk returns healthy and suffers no set backs and does not suffer the same fate as old Bob. Honestly NE is going to the playoffs anyway unless something happens to Brady. But, if they are going to WIN IT ALL I do think they will need Gronk right now vs. the better teams. No Gronk really hurt them the last few years against the Giants/Ravens. I feel the Pats offense loses some toughness without Gronk. And the run game I feel might suffer too and I saw some numbers once that proved this.

Edited by Jules

Man does Gronk have problems or what? 3 arm surgeries, now it’s his back? Wow!

According to multiple reports,Gronkowski will undergo back surgery this coming Tuesday. I heard the surgery is minor, and that the recovery process won’t extend the timetable already created by forearm procedures. I wish him the best though!

A Jets fan wishing Gronk the best? I don't think so.

I wouldn't care if he never played a game for the Patriots again :shrug:

A Jets fan wishing Gronk the best? I don't think so.

I wouldn't care if he never played a game for the Patriots again :shrug:

Pfft...well good 4 you dude! Like I care what you think..lol. Not saying I like the guy, but I wish no ill will towards anyone. Esp..if it means the guys career. :disgust:

Per Rotoworld.com:

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport confirms Rob Gronkowski (back surgery, arm surgery) will open camp on the active/PUP list.

ESPN's Adam Schefter had the news first on Tuesday, but Rapsheet has chimed in with slightly stronger language, saying it "will" happen. Per Rapsheet, the Pats haven't given up hope that Gronk will be ready for Week 1, but we'd assume it's a fanciful hope. Gronk isn't a Peterson-esque healer, while the Pats have every reason to exercise extreme caution with their game-changing tight end. Jun 19 - 1:08 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Jake Ballard ranked seventh among tight ends in Football Outsiders' DYAR (defense-adjusted yards above replacement) metric in 2011.

DYAR is defined as the value of a player's performance on plays in which he caught the ball, compared to a replacement-level player at the same position. While playing for the Giants in 2011, Ballard caught 38 passes for 604 yards with four touchdowns in 14 games. He proceeded to blow out his knee in the Super Bowl, but that kind of production would be welcome in New England considering the state of their tight end corps. Ballard's health will be a story worth monitoring come training camp. He can't play Aaron Hernandez's move position, but he could be the starting in-line tight end if Rob Gronkowski starts the year on PUP.

Source: Yahoo Sports

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 28, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT

The Patriots and tight end Rob Gronkowski may not be on the same page about his return from back surgery.

The Boston Herald reports that Gronkowski’s camp and the team have a disagreement over his availability for Sunday night’s game against the Falcons.

According to the report, the Patriots think Gronkowski is healthy enough that he should be on the field on Sunday. But Gronkowski and the people around him are not convinced that he’s ready, and they don’t want to see him aggravate his injury if he’s rushed back on the field.

The Gronkowski camp may be concerned about a repeat of last year, when Gronkowski broke his arm in Week 11, missed five weeks, then broke the same arm again in his second game back from that injury. Gronkowski spent much of this offseason undergoing surgical procedures on that arm, which became infected.

New England has listed Gronkowski as questionable for Sunday’s game.

Source: ProFootballTalk

Good thing Jord Cam is my TE in my Gronk league.

• Upvote 1

Rob Gronkowski (back) told reporters following Wednesday's limited practice that he's still "not sure yet" when he'll resume playing.

Gronk is tentatively believed to be targeting a Week 6 return. "Not sure yet," said Gronkowski. "We’re going day by day right now, and tomorrow’s another day and we’ll go from there. When I’m ready, I’m ready. I mean, if it’s this Sunday, next Sunday, Sunday after, it’s just going day by day and so I really couldn’t tell you when it’s going to be so it’s kind of hard to answer that."

THANKS FOR THE UDATE ASSHOLES

• Upvote 1

Per Rotoworld.com:

WEEI.com reports the Patriots originally expected Rob Gronkowski (back, forearm) back as early as Week 3, but that he's been held out due to "concern over the stability of the surgically repaired right forearm."
Per "multiple sources with direct knowledge" of the situation, Gronk's initial arm break would have healed without surgery, but the sides opted to go under the knife to speed his return. The setbacks that have followed since are common knowledge, but WEEI reports there remains "serious" concern about the "integrity of the bone where the implement was placed and the surrounding nerves." It's unclear how much of that concern was alleviated by Dr. James Andrews' recent clearance. Gronk is still expected to make his 2013 debut this weekend. Oct 11 - 1:02 AM
Source: WEEI.com