ATL_Predator

Titans plan to keep Chris Johnson in 2013

Peterson does have a good line, but how many of his big runs involve him breaking tackles and shoving people down? (the answer is a lot)

Exactly. He had over 1,000 yards after contact alone this season. That's amazing. Praise be to his O-line as well as to him for being a beast.

On the joke, I was completely joking. I didn't attack him, more of a lil joke. He used to do worse to me, trust me haha. I ain mad and I didn't say I couldn't take it? Where did I put a reply where I bashed Ngata? I just said I was joking no need to explain anything.

Laughable? Your opinion. Also me and you have had this convo. CJ is some to blame. Me and Air even said that before but u always ignored it.

Also even if CJ only hit 2000 yards ONCE, how come only 7 RB's in the many years of the NFL have only done that? You don't hit that mark and suck. You have to be good and a top back to do that right? All the names on those 7 players are pretty much top backs?

Looking to now, his first couple of games his stats suck I give u that. People hate on his game for Buffalo too which is soooo funny. Hes good right? So he was supposed to run wild against the Bills. And he did. Discrediting him from that game is retarded. Its taking the shine out of CJ and trying diss him. That's what you and others do. Like oh he ONLY had a 200 yard game vs the Bills sucky run D. ONLY 200 huh? We get picky now? LoL. I understand he got paid high, I know this, ima fan of the team. But when you have zero blocking and almost no passing game, what is he pose to do? You say great backs find a way, well not always. They struggle as well. Barry had struggle games where he was a nonfactor. If he could be considered the greatest and had a bunch of piss poor games, CJ should be fine.

My problem with the team is this. They took out a lot of CJ's strength plays. The outside runs. They changed it up and had him run up the middle or plays where we rely on the oline to MAKE THAT BLOCK and they don't. Constantly. Trust me, watching the Titans just blow up about every week gets old and annoying. Confusing too. I know we have a good team. This team is capable of winning 10 games. But coaching never made adjustments. Its hard to see change when the coaching staff rarely makes changes. there is a lot of inside problems right now with the Titans. Im just glad we kept CJ. Had we cut him, teams would line up to grab him QUICK. Teams know how good he is. That's why they respect him by stuffing the box every play. Shit they don't have to worry about Locker beating them lol. Just Blitz CJ.

Now before you say AP went thru the same thing, he didnt have it as bad as CJ. I thought Ponder was dogshit. Turns out I was wrong. Minnesota did a great job with their team this year. A average team like Indy that ended up surprising. Minnesota has great run blocking though. Sullivan has gotten better big time. Minnesota also runs a lot of screens and short passes with Harvin in space. I wish we would run some plays to take the focus off CJ. Now im not taking credit away from AP. He beasted this year no doubt. I call him the best RB in the NFL and theres no argument there.

For the MJD thing, I didnt see anyone call him a asshole. Not in the threads anyways. Im not here enough to read the mesg box daily.

And you constantly, constantly, ignore what I'm actually saying and attack a strawman: CJ is a good running back. I AM NOT SAYING CJ IS BAD. There are very few people who would disagree with that. He is simply not top-5, he just isn't. There are too many better backs. He's arguably not even top-10.

No, you were pretty much correct. Ponder is terrible, that team was carried by AP. Teams were stacking nine in the box and it didn't matter in the slightest. Percy Harvin has been on IR for several weeks and it hasn't slowed down AP one iota. But I don't really think any other back in the league could do what AP did this year.

Chris Johnson has one major problem that is preventing him from taking that next step- minus the blocking troubles, but he doesn't have to be perfect, just better than he is.

That is, he has to learn to take what the defense gives him. Now, during the end of the season, it looked like he was doing this much of the time, but early on, he was looking for the homerun shot every time. A hole, a slight hole, but a hole nonetheless, would open up, and you could get 5-7 yards if you took it. But CJ ignores it, runs around the outside looking for the homerun, rather than taking what his offensive line is able to give him, (and lets face it, anytime that line opens any sort of hole, he should take it), and ends up losing 3-5 yards.

CJ knows once he gets in space there may not be a defensive player in the NFL that can run him down, but in order to truly become a great runningback, he also has to learn that when the homerun ball isn't there, to take the 5-7 yards and help his offense move the chains.

And you constantly, constantly, ignore what I'm actually saying and attack a strawman: CJ is a good running back. I AM NOT SAYING CJ IS BAD. There are very few people who would disagree with that. He is simply not top-5, he just isn't. There are too many better backs. He's arguably not even top-10.

No, you were pretty much correct. Ponder is terrible, that team was carried by AP. Teams were stacking nine in the box and it didn't matter in the slightest. Percy Harvin has been on IR for several weeks and it hasn't slowed down AP one iota. But I don't really think any other back in the league could do what AP did this year.

Chris Johnson has one major problem that is preventing him from taking that next step- minus the blocking troubles, but he doesn't have to be perfect, just better than he is.

That is, he has to learn to take what the defense gives him. Now, during the end of the season, it looked like he was doing this much of the time, but early on, he was looking for the homerun shot every time. A hole, a slight hole, but a hole nonetheless, would open up, and you could get 5-7 yards if you took it. But CJ ignores it, runs around the outside looking for the homerun, rather than taking what his offensive line is able to give him, (and lets face it, anytime that line opens any sort of hole, he should take it), and ends up losing 3-5 yards.

CJ knows once he gets in space there may not be a defensive player in the NFL that can run him down, but in order to truly become a great runningback, he also has to learn that when the homerun ball isn't there, to take the 5-7 yards and help his offense move the chains.

Oh naw, i dont think anyone but AP could of done that. Of course, mans built like a truck and has speed. I dont doubt hes the best RB.

Back then during CJs 2000 season i would have argued different but now its not even a question. I agree on the plays he tries to do too much yeah. The rest is all shit we argue and never change position on. All i can say is we get some better interior lineman and he'll get better numbers.

Edited by 56AceInDaPlace

Seems like the Titans go through a new RB coach every year.

Obviously, that's the only problem.

Titans fired Earnest Byner after CJ's 2000 yard season as well.

I have no clue what our deal is with RB coaches. Fisher never kept the same one around with Eddie George, either. Munch is continuing that trend, I guess.

I lol'd

:yeahthat:

Per Rotoworld.com:

Chris Johnson told 104.5 The Zone in Nashville on Friday that he's received no assurances on his 2013 roster spot from the Titans.

$9 million of Johnson's $10 million base salary becomes guaranteed if he's on the roster beyond February 9. Johnson said he's had no contact with the Titans since the season ended. "Throughout everything that's been going on and all this talk, I never have talked to anybody about (the contract)," he said. "So I'm not sure." Asked if he'd be "surprised" if the Titans released him, Johnson replied "I don't know. Because there's been so much talk about it. I know there's probably discussions about it or whatever. I couldn't say I wouldn't be surprised, but it wouldn't be no bad blood." Johnson continued to complain about his offensive line and is hoping the organization "revamps" the front five again this offseason. Feb 1 - 3:38 PM

Source: 104.5 The Zone Nashville

I'd feel sorry for Titans fans if the organization released him. After a couple games they'll realize the mistake they made.

I always have to do my "what if" scenarios... so here we go. If the Titans released Chris Johnson, some good fits would be:

:panthers: This could be a very underrated move but lethal imo. Chris Johnson having a running QB opening up lanes for him would be very dangerous. I'd like that move, a lot.

:Chargers: Ryan Matthews isn't producing but I think Chris Johnson would in his place.

:Broncos: I don't think they can afford him but I think Peyton would call the right plays for Chris Johnson to put him in the best situation.

:Bengals: Having a speedster and a ground and pound RB like BJGE would be a great change of pace running game. I think it would work.

:Colts: With what Luck did last year without a running game on offense, any type of capable RB would help out loads and Chris Johnson is way more then capable.

Carolina will not take him.

A) We have J-Stew and D-Will already.

But mostly

B) Salary cap space will not allow it.

They did close to nothing last year. Cam Newton out rushed both of them...Was it really all because of scheme?

DWill isnt worth what we're paying him. But yeah, Jonathan Stewart wasnt used all that much. The O-line injuries to Gross and Kalil didn't help either. Im not even saying CJ1K wouldn't be a better option, just we'd have to pay him a lot of money we dont have for not all that much of an upgrade. Panthers need a lot more at other positions than at RB.

Yeah, I forgot about the cap issues that the Panthers were having. They may need to fill up a lot positions but for a healthy offense and balanced offense, they do need a rushing game outside their QB.

Edited by dutchff7

I'd still be surprised if we cut him, we have the cap space and we're not going to get anyone better through free agency

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the Titans intend to exercise Chris Johnson's 2013 contract.

The Titans could have cut Johnson this week at no charge against the salary cap. They've chosen not to wash their hands of him. Johnson is set to earn $10 million in 2013, $9 million of which will become guaranteed on Saturday. CJ?K now enters a make-or-break season in Tennessee after two straight years of questionable effort and disappointing production. No longer a special back in terms of getting himself in space or breaking tackles, Johnson would benefit greatly from an overhaul of the Titans' interior offensive line.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Titans coach Mike Munchak confirms Chris Johnson hasn't been asked to restructure his contract, and will play at his scheduled $10 million salary in 2013.

CJ?K's Twitter angst was for naught. No longer the player who rushed for 2,006 yards in 2009, Johnson has established himself as one of the most hot-and-cold backs in the league. Still only 27, Johnson should have at least 2-3 more productive years under his belt, but will likely become an annual candidate to restructure his contract. He's due $8 million in both 2014 and 2015, and $9 million between salary and bonuses in 2016.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

Chris Johnson believes new RBs coach Sylvester Croom is a "pretty good coach."

"I can tell he has a lot of input in the running game," Johnson said. "He’s changed a couple of minor things. ... Basically (changing) a couple of my steps during running plays and a couple routes I got coming out of the backfield." It's good that CJ?K — who likes to blame others for his struggles — approves of his new RBs coach, but his rapport with Tennessee's revamped offensive line will be the key to his 2013 fortunes.

Source: Nashville Tennessean