Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Soldiers in Schools.

I have recently thought about this, and I am not sure how I feel about it, but it started on Facebook. Here is the image.

281207_533199946691076_959395183_n.jpg

I feel a little to republican/NRA posting this, but then I thought about it some more.

Get over the fact that it is more guns in school. Yes, I know it took me a lot less time considering I know hundreds of soldiers and would trust the overwhelming majority with a weapon they have been trained on and had their life depend on its competent use.

However like I said I am not sure how sold I am on this idea, which is why I bring it before the court.

The major pro's that I see are these. These soldiers have had thousands and thousands of dollars in mental evaluations done and they are well trained on the use of it. Outside of that they are trained in CQM and discriminatory fire so they would not be a liability. Most of them are good to great shots. Most of them have seen combat and know how to react when bullets fly. They are obedient and take orders well.

The cons. Not sure it should have to come to this and it is a knee jerk reaction which most soldiers will tell you is a great way for a situation to turn to shit.

I can't think of anymore but that is why you people are here. Your thoughts.

Edited by Ngata_Chance

Guest Phailadelphia

Seems like a slippery slope honestly.

It's something I am on the fence of... I like it for the fact that you have somebody there paid to protect these kids.l I like it because it gives these soldiers something to do and fill their time.

Bad thing, as Phail said... If you start with this, where will it stop? I know some of the bigger cities already have police patrolling or making rounds near or at high schools (say in Chicago and the like)...

The only issue I see with this unfortunately comes down to money. Education funding has been under attack for a while now anyway. How could we afford to pay people to protect every school? If the money was there I wouldn't mind it at all.

Guest Phailadelphia

It's something I am on the fence of... I like it for the fact that you have somebody there paid to protect these kids.l I like it because it gives these soldiers something to do and fill their time.

Bad thing, as Phail said... If you start with this, where will it stop? I know some of the bigger cities already have police patrolling or making rounds near or at high schools (say in Chicago and the like)...

It's not just the bigger cities. Every school I've ever attended, from kindergarten through high school, has had its own on-duty police officer who was typically on campus and patrolling the hallways every school day.

It's not just the bigger cities. Every school I've ever attended, from kindergarten through high school, has had its own on-duty police officer who was typically on campus and patrolling the hallways every school day.

Not here... You would have maybe an officer just drive around the campus during peak hours, but they weren't actually there strictly to patrol the school for their entire shift and keep everyone there safe. Unless there was some kind of threat.

Edited by Favre4Ever

Just the presence of an ex-military armed guard being at schools would probably be enough to deter would be shooters. From that standpoint I like the idea, but as Sarge pointed out, the budget for education is constantly under attack and if spending billions of dollars on armed guards at schools to prevent shootings that almost never happen takes away the quality of education that is already diminishing in this country I'm not so sure it's worth it.

It's definitely a problem that we have random acts of violence resulting in the loss of young lives but imo it's more of a problem that our children are not competing with the rest of the world in the class room. I think you could argue that it's the most important issue we have, foreign or domestic.

Ultimately though I think this is one of those issues that should be up to the State and local government level and not a federal government issue.

Edited by seanbrock

With the rise in PTSD, I see potential risks. However, I'm certain that any school serious about the safety of their students would screen for things like that. As Stevo and Sean said, this is more an issue of funding than practicality. If the schools want the protection, they need to deal with getting the funding in their budget.

My high school has two cops always on campus, one in the parking lot and one in the main building. I like to heckle them but I guess they serve a purpose.

The only issue I see with this unfortunately comes down to money. Education funding has been under attack for a while now anyway. How could we afford to pay people to protect every school? If the money was there I wouldn't mind it at all.

The sheriff's department provides deputies for the schools I know of, so the school board isn't the one paying them.

We started having on-duty police officers in school when I was in high school in the early and mid-1990's when gangs began getting really prominent in Northern Virginia. It didn't cut down on fights, but we never had any weapons or shootings on campus.

I would think that having an armed soldier or two standing right outside of every main entrance to the schools would b e one hell of a deterrent. It seems like something that that Army National Guard could handle, seeing as they are trained soliders just like the active duty.

As for funding, have them continue to be paid from the military budget and not through the education budget.

Pretty sure the military budget could handle paying these guys. Take a bunch of the people stationed overseas and put them in a school near their home. And there are a ton of faggotass recruiters that could use a real job.

Such an awesome suggestion, I feel stupid for not thinking of it. +1

• Upvote 1

This idea is interesting, but a point that has not been raised yet is one I find most interesting.

Do you have them decked out in their gear or in civilian clothes with concealed weapons?

Children would associate openly armed, camo'd up soldiers with violence. Most young children don't realize that many soldiers don't even fight when they go overseas. Do we try to educate them on that fact or do we go with the latter option?

I firmly support civilian clothes and concealed. Just so young kids aren't so damn curious.

This idea is interesting, but a point that has not been raised yet is one I find most interesting.

Do you have them decked out in their gear or in civilian clothes with concealed weapons?

Children would associate openly armed, camo'd up soldiers with violence. Most young children don't realize that many soldiers don't even fight when they go overseas. Do we try to educate them on that fact or do we go with the latter option?

I firmly support civilian clothes and concealed. Just so young kids aren't so damn curious.

I would say full gear to be honest. If you pull a dog's teeth he can bit. The advantage of a soldier as a Drill SGT used to say, "Every conflict is half mental, half technical (weaponry and armament), and half skill." Yeah I am not sure he was on the up and up in math but the point is give every advantage possible to those who could be engaged in conflict. Now as far as being decked out in camo I can see it both ways.

These kids see soldiers on TV all the time and most are taught to associate them with being good people who are there to help. SO it may actually make kids feel better knowing that "The soldiers from TV" are there to protect them.

As to many soldier's not seeing combat, this is true. However A LOT have. Enough so I think that there could be enough from a JTF kind of operation that they could adequately defend all schools in the suburbs and metropolitan areas.

AS to their gear, that is the gear they were trained in, fought in, and grew accustomed too. Leave it alone. Soldiers are able to carry their BCL's and know exactly where everything is, the most efficient placements of items, and so on.

Now that is not to say it can not be changed if need be, but if it isnt broke dont fix it.

I would say full gear to be honest. If you pull a dog's teeth he can bit. The advantage of a soldier as a Drill SGT used to say, "Every conflict is half mental, half technical (weaponry and armament), and half skill." Yeah I am not sure he was on the up and up in math but the point is give every advantage possible to those who could be engaged in conflict. Now as far as being decked out in camo I can see it both ways.

These kids see soldiers on TV all the time and most are taught to associate them with being good people who are there to help. SO it may actually make kids feel better knowing that "The soldiers from TV" are there to protect them.

As to many soldier's not seeing combat, this is true. However A LOT have. Enough so I think that there could be enough from a JTF kind of operation that they could adequately defend all schools in the suburbs and metropolitan areas.

AS to their gear, that is the gear they were trained in, fought in, and grew accustomed too. Leave it alone. Soldiers are able to carry their BCL's and know exactly where everything is, the most efficient placements of items, and so on.

Now that is not to say it can not be changed if need be, but if it isnt broke dont fix it.

You make a decent point, but I still say educate children on the fact that soldiers are more than warriors.

At the same time, is this even feasible in that could it even be possible? I don't really think so.

You make a decent point, but I still say educate children on the fact that soldiers are more than warriors.

At the same time, is this even feasible in that could it even be possible? I don't really think so.

I agree and our soldiers are much more than warriors, they are people as well for better and for worse.