Sign in to follow this  
Thanatos

Offensive Rookie of the Year

Offensive Rookie of the Year  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the offensive rookie of the year?

• Andrew Luck
    • Robert Griffin III
    • Russell Wilson
    • Alfred Morris
    • Doug Martin
    • Other

Note that this is who *should* be, not necessarily you who think it will be.

I think the OROY is on the Washington Redskins, and it's really hard to choose between the two of them.

335 attempts, 1,613 rushing yards, 13 TDs, 4.8 YPC.

Alfred Morris has been nothing short of phenomenal for the Skins this season. It's the type of year by a rookie RB that is simply incredible.

However, RG3 has also had an absolutely great year. Both players have helped to set the other up for bigger gains- the run-game obviously sets up the pass-game, but having a dynamic dual-threat QB really helps the run-game as well.

I'm going to have to give it to RG3, but Alfred Morris has had a hell of a season as well.

RG3 was the most efficient QB this season, and his play vaulted them into the playoffs from a 3-6 record. It absolutely has to be him. For close second place guys, Russell Wilson, Alfred Morris, Doug Martin, and Peyton Manning's new neck.

• Upvote 1

Alfred Morris. or RG3. Doesn't matter which. I would give it to Morris based on avg 100 yards a game the whole season pretty much. 13 TDs as well, 4.8 a carry?? RG3 would have a better shot at MVP IMO. RG3 was great the whole year and I rather him win MVP then OROTY

Gotta go with RG3, with Morris a close second. Can't remember the last time two rookies came in like this and totally turned a team around like those two have.

RG3 was the most efficient QB this season, and his play vaulted them into the playoffs from a 3-6 record. It absolutely has to be him. For close second place guys, Russell Wilson, Alfred Morris, Doug Martin, and Peyton Manning's new neck.

Pretty much this exactly

RG3 on popularity and his performance will win it. I like Russell Wilson though. The kid has it all.

Edited by Chris D

Alfred Morris over Doug Martin? You guys do realize Martin had a better season than him without his 2 pro bowl guards for pretty much the entire year, right? Morris may have had more rushing yards, but Martin was a much bigger receiving threat. Plus, Morris fumbled 4 times, while Martin didn't fumble a single time all year (I don't count the 1 fumble because he crossed the plane before the ball came loose and it should have been another TD for him too). And the Bucs don't use a ZBS like the Redskins do.

Anyways, my rankings:

1. RG3

2. Russell Wilson

3. Doug Martin

4. Alfred Morris

5. Andrew Luck

I think Russell Wilson should win it, but the RG3 hype train is unstoppable at this point.

Alfred Morris over Doug Martin? You guys do realize Martin had a better season than him without his 2 pro bowl guards for pretty much the entire year, right? Morris may have had more rushing yards, but Martin was a much bigger receiving threat. Plus, Morris fumbled 4 times, while Martin didn't fumble a single time all year (I don't count the 1 fumble because he crossed the plane before the ball came loose and it should have been another TD for him too). And the Bucs don't use a ZBS like the Redskins do.

Anyways, my rankings:

1. RG3

2. Russell Wilson

3. Doug Martin

4. Alfred Morris

5. Andrew Luck

Since when does Tampa have two pro-bowl guards?

Morris has the better average and was more consistent over the course of the season. I don't think it's ridiculous to take him over Martin, as you seem to suggest.

• Upvote 1

Guest Phailadelphia

1a. RG3

1b. Morris

2. Wilson

Morris > Martin.

Not saying anything about their potential futures... Just basing it off this year. Martin started off slow, had one HELL of a run there in the middle, and then died off again. If he can consistently be that guy we saw in the middle of the year... The league better watch out.

However, in their rookie campaigns... Gotta go with Morris.

(Although, RGIII still deserves the nod over both)

Am I stupid for thinking that neither of the running backs nor Andrew Luck deserve to be in this discussion?

Morris has the better average and was more consistent over the course of the season. I don't think it's ridiculous to take him over Martin, as you seem to suggest.

Nicks and Davin Joesph. Two maulers at the guard position. Davin is a good mauler for the run. His pass blocking is what needs work, and his balance. Both out on IR.

If you go just off rushing stats, Morris had a better year, but you have to take into consideration that Martin was one of the best backs in the league as a receiver and Morris was pretty much a complete non-factor in that aspect of the game.

Adrian Peterson and Calvin Johnson were the only players with more yards from scrimmage than Doug Martin, he had an amazing rookie season as did many other guys. This has been one of the strongest offensive rookie classes in a while.

Nicks and Davin Joesph. Two maulers at the guard position. Davin is a good mauler for the run. His pass blocking is what needs work, and his balance. Both out on IR.

I don't really consider Davin Joseph a pro-bowl guard, I guess. He's good, but not that good.

I don't really consider Davin Joseph a pro-bowl guard, I guess. He's good, but not that good.

Well, he's been named to the Pro Bowl twice so technically he is a Pro Bowl guard. Whether or not he is deserving of it is up for debate though. I thought he deserved it in 2008, but I don't know about last year. Still, he is a million times better than Ted Larsen or Jamon Meredith who were playing at RG this year because of Joseph's injury.

Well, he's been named to the Pro Bowl twice so technically he is a Pro Bowl guard. Whether or not he is deserving of it is up for debate though. I thought he deserved it in 2008, but I don't know about last year. Still, he is a million times better than Ted Larsen or Jamon Meredith who were playing at RG this year because of Joseph's injury.

I did not know that, actually.

But yeah, don't really think he's that good anymore. He is sure as hell better than Larsen or Meredith, no argument there.

I'm not even saying you don't have an argument, just that its not ridiculous to suggest Morris had the better season. Martin plays consistently like he did in the middle of the season, he's Ray Rice reincarnated.

I did not know that, actually.

But yeah, don't really think he's that good anymore. He is sure as hell better than Larsen or Meredith, no argument there.

I'm not even saying you don't have an argument, just that its not ridiculous to suggest Morris had the better season. Martin plays consistently like he did in the middle of the season, he's Ray Rice reincarnated.

I never said it was ridiculous to suggest Morris had a better season. I even said he clearly had the better year based on rushing only. But I'd factor in the fact that Morris is a non-factor in the passing game while Martin is already one of the better all around backs in the league.

Maybe I was reading a tone into it, lol. That's what it seemed like to me.

Your ridiculous signature makes everything you say ridiculous. :p

I don't think it's ridiculous to take Morris over Martin. It just seemed like to me people are overreating Morris a little bit in this thread. People are saying he actually has a chance to be rookie of the year and it's close between him and RG3. It really isn't.

I would rather have Martin because he's a complete back. He put up similar rushing stats to Morris, plus he's a good receiver and can block. I like Morris and think he is a good back, but you also have to think that having RG3 and the Redskins running the ZBS inflates his stats a little bit (Shanny always produces good RB's).

Although I do think Favre brings up a good point about consistency, but I think the injuries to the o-line played a big part in that.

Am I stupid for thinking that neither of the running backs nor Andrew Luck deserve to be in this discussion?

I completely agree.

Should be between RG3 and Wilson.

Edited by ICum4Falcons

1a. RG3

1b. Morris

2. Wilson

I would honestly put Morris over RGIII, and I love RGIII. Morris is just as important, if not more important than RGIII. Without the threat of Morris plowing over your line, RGIII would have been much easier to contain. besides, who honestly thought that the RB who was #3 on the depth chart coming into the season would wind up being #2 in the entire NFL in rushing?

Yeah RG3 won with 29 of 50 votes. Luck had 11 and Wilson had 10.

Yeah RG3 won with 29 of 50 votes. Luck had 11 and Wilson had 10.

I knew RG3 would win it, but I call bullshit on Luck being voted ahead of Wilson. Oh well, time will tell who the best really is.

I have no doubt that had the playoffs been a factor, Wilson would have clearly been the winner. But based on everything combined in the regular season, it was hard to argue against RGIII.