Vin

Colts @ Ravens

Chuck Pagano and Ray Lewis spent the previous four seasons as part of a Baltimore Ravens defense known for making life tough for the opposition.

As secondary coach and then defensive coordinator, Pagano teamed with the future Hall of Fame linebacker to help the Ravens reach a pair of AFC championship games before taking the Indianapolis Colts' head coaching job in January.

The game plans Pagano put together during those years weren't able to prepare him for what he'd endure next.

Pagano is back on the Colts' sideline after beating leukemia in time for Sunday's wild-card matchup against his former team in Baltimore, which could be the final time Lewis steps between the lines after announcing his decision to retire following the playoffs.

Indianapolis was 1-2 when Pagano took an indefinite leave of absence to receive treatment, beginning a "Chuckstrong" movement that captivated the league.

He stayed close to the team as interim coach Bruce Arians and No. 1 overall draft pick Andrew Luck helped transform Indianapolis from a two-win team in 2011 to a playoff qualifier.

Pagano returned after a 12-game absence and couldn't hide his emotions during the Colts' 28-16 home win over Houston last week that capped an 11-5 regular season, and he's not about to rest as his team prepares for a tough postseason matchup.

"My doc said be prudent, if you remember, but I may not be prudent this week in spending a lot of time in a lot of different areas in trying to get as much information out as I possibly can and help where I can," Pagano said.

His knowledge of the Ravens' defense surely will be a benefit for Indianapolis, but it may have to contend with Lewis, who expects to play after missing the last 10 games with a torn right triceps.

The good news of Lewis' possible return, though, took a twist Wednesday as he announced plans to end his 17-year career when Baltimore's season concludes.

Lewis made 13 Pro Bowls and was a seven-time All-Pro while twice being named defensive player of the year. He won a Super Bowl ring following the 2000 season and is the only player in NFL history with at least 40 career sacks and 30 interceptions.

Fourth-seeded Baltimore and No. 6 seed Cincinnati would have to reach the AFC championship for Lewis to play another home game.

"Everything that starts has an end," said the 37-year-old Lewis, who plans to spend more time with his sons - including his oldest, Ray III, who will play at Lewis' alma mater of Miami. "For me, today, I told my team that this will be my last ride."

Pagano, who was conducting his Wednesday press conference as news broke of Lewis' retirement, said the fact he's facing Lewis and the rest of a defense he helped coach in his first playoff test seems fitting.

"Nothing shocks me anymore," Pagano said. "Everything that's transpired to this point, I guess it was just meant to be."

The Ravens are fond of Pagano as well.

"Chuck's like a dad to me," safety Ed Reed said. "He means a lot to me. I would have much rather seen them in the AFC championship game than the first game."

With Peyton Manning under center, the Colts won eight straight meetings - including two playoff victories - before the Ravens (10-6) took the most recent matchup 24-10 on Dec. 11, 2011.

Luck will be the first quarterback other than Manning to start a postseason game for Indianapolis since his former coach at Stanford, Jim Harbaugh - the current San Francisco coach and brother of Baltimore coach John Harbaugh - was under center for the Colts' 42-14 wild-card loss to Pittsburgh in 1996.

Luck has experienced an up-and-down first season, ranking 31st in completion percentage (54.1) and 26th in passer rating (76.5), but he threw five touchdowns without an interception in the Colts' final three games.

Baltimore finished 17th in total defense (350.9 yards per game) - its lowest ranking since the 2002 team finished 22nd - and Luck believes Pagano's knowledge of that unit will be beneficial Sunday.

"They're a great team," Luck said. "Obviously, coach Pagano knows more about them than I do so I'll lean on him, but obviously (it's) a historic defense."

The Ravens, though, dropped four of their last five games after falling 23-17 to Cincinnati in Week 17, though Harbaugh rested most of his starters with the division locked up.

Joe Flacco - the only starting QB in NFL history to make the playoffs in each of his first five seasons - attempted only eight passes, and Ray Rice had just three rushing attempts. Receiver Anquan Boldin sat out with a bruised shoulder, though he's expected to play Sunday.

Terrell Suggs (biceps) also didn't play last week but he, Lewis and safety Bernard Pollard, who missed the final three weeks with a rib injury, all hope to be on the field together for the first time this season against the Colts.

"This is the first time we get a chance to get our defense back. We're excited and ready to roll," Pollard told the team's official website.

Harbaugh knows Sunday will be an emotional contest given Lewis' pending retirement and the team's ties to Pagano.

"It will be great. It's something that, in this profession, is a big deal," said Harbaugh, the only coach in league history with a postseason win in each of his first four seasons.

"Relationships are important. But by the same token, it's a game and they're the opponent."

Copyright 2013 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press.

Edited by Vin

Ravens don't need inspiration to beat the worst team going into the playoffs. :Ravens:

Ravens don't need inspiration to beat the worst team going into the playoffs. :Ravens:

Agreed, but the Ravens haven't been playing too well as of late. And the Colts have seemed to get pretty damn lucky this year so you never know.

Agreed, but the Ravens haven't been playing too well as of late. And the Colts have seemed to get pretty damn lucky this year so you never know.

Indeed, I don't think we're going to see the Ravens defense come out soft against an overrated rookie QB...especially at home. I'd almost like to say the Ravens at their worst...are better than the Colts at their best. However, Andrew Luck at his best is pretty scary...but that's a tall order to do against the Ravens defense with Ray Lewis.

We'll have at least one AFCN team in the Divisional round.

Go Ravens! :party:

Hey Tyrant, is that a pic of Warren Moon?

Edited by BigBen07

^ Earl Campbell I think

Hm, I like the Ravens in this one. I wanna see a lotta Rays making plays.

The Cinderella ends tomorrow.

:Colts: 24

:Ravens: 32

Colts are a young, turnover prone team matching up against an experienced Ravens squad. Can't say I like their chances. :nope:

30-13, Ravens.

Ray Lewis (triceps) is active for Sunday's Wild Card playoff game versus the Colts.

As expected. Lewis has said that he will retire at the end of the season, so Sunday's game could potentially be his last game in an NFL uniform. Lewis hasn't played since tearing his triceps since Week 6.

The Baltimore inactives are: LG Jah Reid, S Omar Brown, CB Chris Johnson, OLB Adrian Hamilton, OL Ramon Harewood, WR Deonte Thompson, and DT Bryan Hall.

Delone Carter (ankle) is inactive for Sunday's Wild Card Round playoff game against the Ravens.

Vick Ballard will handle a full load in the Indianapolis backfield. Carter hasn't played since suffering the ankle injury in Week 14 against the Titans.

The rest of the Colts' inactives are: WR Nathan Palmer, CB Teddy Williams, S Delano Howell, DT Kellen Heard, LG Joe Reitz, and OL Tony Hills. Jeff Linkenbach will start at left guard.

I regretted betting against the team that limped into the playoffs in last night's AFC game, but I am too stubborn to learn from my mistakes!

:Colts: 24

:Ravens: 20

I think the Ravens continue to play good red zone defense and limit the Colts to 1 TD offensively

27-19 Ravens

Edited by seanbrock

I think both teams are going to come out inspired. The Ravens have Ray Lewis back who has always been an inspiration. As far as the Colts, I think they'll continue to rally behind their head coach and find a way to win.

:Colts: 27

:Ravens: 24

Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was hospitalized on Sunday morning with an inner ear infection and will not coach or call plays on Sunday versus the Ravens.

The Colts stress that Arians is "fine," but it's certainly a big loss for the Indianapolis offense. Quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen will call the plays on offense, but there's not expected to be a noticeable difference. On a separate note, Arians has been linked to head-coaching jobs with the Chargers and Bears this week.

Source: Mike Chappell on Twitter

Well that's....odd.

No points after one. :devious:

:p

Neither team looks very impressive so far. Both defenses are playing fairly well but both quarterbacks are underwhelming. Looks a lot like yesterday's AFC game.

The AFC bores me. :coffee:

I can't decide if it's strong defense or crappy offense.