rzb

2013 HOF Ballot

Just got an update on Bleacher Report that these guys are the finalists...

G/T Larry Allen

RB Jerome Bettis

WR Tim Brown

WR Cris Carter

Owner Edward DeBartolo Jr

LB Kevin Greene

DE Charles Haley

Owner Art Modell

OT Jonathan Ogden

Coach Bill Parcells

WR Andre Reed

DR Warren Sapp

OG Will Shields

DE Michael Strahan

CB Aeneas Williams

I'm disappointed Jacoby didn't make it to the finalist list, but four of the semifinalists I liked did make it (Ogden, Sapp, Shields, and Strahan) so I'll go with Bettis as the fifth I want to see in this time around (Carter and Reed do need to get in eventually tho)

Larry Allen

Warren Sapp

Michael Strahan

Jonathan Ogden

Cris Carter

Jerome Bettis

Will Shields

Edited by dutchff7

Charles Haley and Eddie D, I'm cool.

DE Michael Strahan

DT Warren Sapp

LB Kevin Greene

OG Will Shields

WR Tim Brown

Larry Allen

Warren Sapp

Michael Strahan

Jonathan Ogden

Cris Carter

Jerome Bettis

Will Shields

4/7

I thought Strahan and Sapp would have either gotten in together, or not at all.

I was pretty shocked Strahan didn't make it in on his first ballot, but he's obviously going to get in there soon. I'd be willing to bet that he makes it next year.

I thought for sure Bettis and Strahan would get in. They smile and talk on the TV and were endearing figures/fan favorites, so I figured that they'd be first ballot guys regardless of the fact that they shouldn't be. Kinda glad that they didn't get in yet. I know that they will, but if a guy like CC has to wait, then so should they.

Sapp, meh on that one. I agree with Zack that Haley should be in before Warren F-ing Sapp. I always thought that he was a little overrated. The squeaky wheel gets the grease though, and Warren is one squeaky, greasy mo-fo. His loud mouth got him recognition and exposure. Was he really good? Certainly. Was he first ballot good? Probably no. Not in my opinion.

I think that the HOF has become a what have you done lately type of thing as well and it should not be. People get so enamored with the guys who the media hype rolled throughout their recent careers that it makes it hard for guys who played even 10 years ago to get in. Now I will say this was a really strong class. In my own opinion I think that Ogden, Shields, Allen were all sure fire first ballot guys.

The rest of the guys you could make cases for but are not necessarily guys you HAVE to put in. I think it is a crime it took CC this long, especially with last years class.

As for Strahan not getting in...not sure how I feel about that either. There is no denying how good he was but I think a lot of it will be marred by the "supporting cast" argument. While he did play on some great D lines he was a major part of why they were good.

Kevin Green not getting in is a little suspicious:shifty:. That said he will fall into the exact same argument as Strahan. Although I like Greene because he was one angry motherfucker....love those angry people.

Bettis will get in but I dont think he was first ballot material and may not get in for a while. How long it should/will take is anybody's guess.

As for Warren....Yeahhhhhh. He was good dont get me wrong but would I put him over the other guys ? Probably not with a coin flip going between him and Bettis if it is off of play. Off of personality and who I would have liked to see go in first it is the Bus all day.

I was absolutely outraged Haley did not get in. People are all tripping on their dick over his attitude, which I would say this is a reasonable thing to expect for moss as well. However all these 3-4 hybrid DE/OLB guys ahve Haley to thank. He was the one who really pioneered the "tweener" thing. AS far as defense goes he was the guy who started the whole elephant/leo thing that guys like Seifert and Kiffin pioneered and then we see it used today by name by guys like Carrol who were disciples of Kiffin. It is a travesty he is not in the hall.

What's up with all of the Sapp hate?! Dude was one of the all-time best DTs to ever play the game!

• Upvote 2

What's up with all of the Sapp hate?! Dude was one of the all-time best DTs to ever play the game!

yeah, I can't think of anyone else who's been that disruptive from that spot, JJ Watt is well on his way (though he's primarily a 3-4 DE, he moves inside when the Texans run a four man front) but he's only been in the league two years, so I'm not ready to put him up there yet

If people dislike a persons character, they hate their game. Real talk.

If people dislike a persons character, they hate their game. Real talk.

But entrance into the NFL Hall of Fame is based strictly on performance on the field, which is probably why Sapp got in.

I don't like 7 player Hall classes. >_>

Congrats to all though! Dave Robinson, babY!

I don't like 7 player Hall classes. >_>

what would you prefer? do you have a specific number in mind or are you of the "let 'em all in" opinion?

[/size]

what would you prefer? do you have a specific number in mind or are you of the "let 'em all in" opinion?

Just seems too crowded. I like 5 or fewer. Although, I guess it was 5 who got voted in and then the 2 by the VC, so.. Eh.