BLUE

Browns hire Ray Horton as DC

Per Rotoworld.com:

Browns hired Ray Horton as defensive coordinator.

Media types are skeptical of the Browns' hire of Mike Lombardi to run the personnel side of their football team, but they've cobbled together an impressive top end of the coaching staff. Horton and Norv Turner will be the coordinators, with Rob Chudzinski as head coach. Horton, a Dick LeBeau disciple, runs a 3-4 defense and will implement scheme change in Cleveland. Horton coordinated the Cardinals' defense the past two seasons. Although Arizona generally struggled versus the run in 2012, it fielded a top-12 overall defense and ranked top-five against the pass. Jan 18 - 4:14 PM

Not a big fan. He's great and all but I'm not for the switch to the 3-4.

Damn the browns are trying their damndest to compete. That is one hell of a coaching staff.

I wasn't a fan of getting rid of Dick Juaron. But I have no say in that, so if they're gonna go get someone, get the best available. And that was Ray Horton. Well Done Browns...for a change.

While yes he is a great coordinator, This also means the browns switch back to the 3-4.

lolCardinals.

Can't wait to see the new-look Browns. o.o

I like the coaching staff the are putting together. I'm still not quite sold on Chud though. I think this new owner is good for the Browns. He has a desire to win which Lerner didn't really have.

Nice staff he has put together. Dunno what to think about Chud, and Norv is overrated IMO... But they could have done A LOT worse. Like... hiring Michael Lombardi. >_>

Per Rotoworld.com:

New Browns defensive coordinator Ray Horton didn't comment on which alignment he will use, but he is fully expected to implement the 3-4 front.

"I'm a coach of men, whether it's 3-4, 4-3, 5-5, I don't care. I'm excited about the talent we have and they're going to love this system," said Horton. "Aggressive," Horton said when asked how his defense will be. "I don't know if anybody pressured more than I did last year and that's the kind of stuff we'll do here." Jan 19 - 6:16 PM

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Breaking up the Taylor-Rubin wall is DUMB. I don't care who the DC is. Also, who knows how Sheard transfers to OLB and whichever of Rubin-Taylor you move to DE, how do they fit? So many questions. I really don't like this.

Edited by Tridentdawgpound

Nice staff he has put together. Dunno what to think about Chud, and Norv is overrated IMO... But they could have done A LOT worse. Like... hiring Michael Lombardi. >_>

Norv is a pretty good OC. Sucks as a HC.

Ya.... Maybe the Browns will land Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, LT, Ricky Williams.. Heck, even a Doug Flutie would be an upgrade. Not saying he compares to any of the above, but Trent is definitely a piece he will use extensively. Just gotta stay healthy. :yep:

Not saying he is bad or will suck completely. Just think he gets too much credit sometimes. I hope it works out though, because bad hires have been holding the Browns back, especially recently.

Edited by Favre4Ever

During an interview Thursday with Arizona radio station XTRA Sports 910-AM, Browns DC Ray Horton made it clear he will run a 3-4 system.

Up to this point, the Browns have been hesitant to declare their intentions for 2013. When asked if he planned to use a 3-4, a 4-3, or a hybrid scheme, Horton said, "It won’t be a hybrid, not unless we’re playing golf. It’ll be a 3-4. It’ll be the same defense we ran here [in Arizona]." While head coach Rob Chudzinski said Thursday that Cleveland would use both 4-3 and 3-4 fronts, Horton said the Browns' defense would mimic the Steelers' system. Horton spent seven seasons with the Steelers as a defensive backs coach, and now will face them twice a season.